Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Patch Management

Options
  • 22-07-2004 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

lads

any of you have any experience with Patch Management software. What do people use etc...

getting sick of manually updating OS patches..:( ......BTW SMS is not an option.

any help or ideas appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

hey chip

i'm using SUS at the moment, it doesn't support NT, and its not really managable from a central location unless everthing is set on a schedule which i can't really do with the servers i have.

it does make things slightly easier, but it does have big limitations...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Q. On which platforms does Windows Update Services server run?

A. • Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 and later

• Windows Server™ 2003

Anyone know if that means it'll run on Windows XP pro as well? There's gonna be 4 of us living in a house with capped DSL shortly and it would be handy to have 1 system to download the updates and distribute them to the others, rather than everyone downloading them seperately and denting the oh-so-precious cap.
    Nobody has a win2k server/workstation as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by Gryzor
    hey chip

i'm using SUS at the moment, it doesn't support NT, and its not really managable from a central location unless everthing is set on a schedule which i can't really do with the servers i have.

it does make things slightly easier, but it does have big limitations...

You never said you were looking for something which worked with NT. Try Altiris then:

http://www.naisolutions.com/Products/Altiris/index.html.

@Stephen, yes it'll work fine with XP Pro

Advertisement