Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF candidate reported activist to US anti-terrorism unit

Options
  • 22-07-2004 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone else read this? It was in the Tribune last Sunday. Allegedly Barbara Foley, running for council in Malahide, said that she "had the American experience" in her election bumf. Declan McKenna of the Ireland Cuba Support Group wrote to her to ask what kind of American experience she had - "such as invasion or economic sanctions" or "limbs blown off by a US missile" or had her "government overthrown".

McKenna's response to this? She forwarded his email to the anti-terrorism section of the US embassy!!! McKenna is now understandably concerned about being on their anti-terrorist list bearing in mind that he is often in contact with the US embassy as part of his voluntary work.

Unfortunately the Tribune online is subscription but if it's ok with the mods I can scan that article and attach it here.

Personally I think it is an absolute disgrace. An Irish politician received an email from and Irishman in reponsed to a pamplet for an Irish election and she reports it to a foreign country's authorities. Naturally FF are defending Foley but I want to know how much information they provide to a foreign power about their citizens without our knowledge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

maybe we should all write a letter to the anti-terrorism section of the US embassy
    informing them about a possible terror suspect residing in Malahide.

She's a complete moron and thank god she didn't get a seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    maybe we should all write a letter to the anti-terrorism section of the US embassy

haha "complete moron" well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Originally posted by Sleipnir

I actually intend writing to FF and Foley to complain. I'm in McCreevy's constituency and there's a by-election coming up ... let's make it an issue ;)

As for her ... if I was McKenna I'd be consulting solicitors with a view to a defamation case against the muppet. She has basically publicly accused him of being a terrorist. Sounds like a cut-and-dried slander case to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Hmmm... passing information on to a foreign government... I think there's a word for that.

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    Hmmm... passing information on to a foreign government... I think there's a word for that.

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

ha ha ha, serves him right for been a smart ass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Yeah lads - seriously - get a sense of humour. Youve got to see the funny side of reporting this gimp to the US embassy as a possible terrorist. One minute hes trotting out boring drivel to a candidate, next minute hes in Gitmo getting beaten with a lenth of garden hose :D

Anyway, not sure what McKenna is so upset about - A) the report is not going to be taken too seriouisly Id imagine, B) seeing as his attitude to the "american experience" is so overwhelmingly negative why the hell would he want to be in contact with the US embassy anyway? Hes just a grump.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by Sand
    the report is not going to be taken too seriouisly Id imagine
    And how many innocent people have been released from Gitmo? And why were they there? Because someone told the US they were suspect characters. And not some random TD, but ordinary people off the street. Hell, the FBI's even kidnapped one senior citizen out of the middle of africa already, even though he was the wrong age, height, build, nationality and skin colour, simply because he had the same name as a suspected terrorist.
    So I wouldn't go about thinking that absolutely nothing whatsoever will come of this, or that it falls into the category of harmless prank.

And what was said earlier is true - it's a pretty clear-cut slander case. A politician ought to have more cop-on than pulling that kind of malarky in this day and age...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Damn youre right - McKenna if youre reading this, look out for black helicopters and men in dark suits wearing shades - run and dont look back. Oh and dont jump of dams falling a dramatic distance - its already been done.
    And what was said earlier is true - it's a pretty clear-cut slander case. A politician ought to have more cop-on than pulling that kind of malarky in this day and age...

Nah, she reported him as a possible terrorist, unless anyones got a copy of her statement delcaring him as an actual terrorist carrying out terrorist acts. Much like reporting a possible child abuser to the cops. Either way its hilarious - the next pinko commie loving liberal will think twice before bothering Foley again :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Damn youre right - McKenna if youre reading this, look out for black helicopters and men in dark suits wearing shades - run and dont look back. Oh and dont jump of dams falling a dramatic distance - its already been done.
    Now you're just being assinine. The FBI already have a proven record for this kind of thing. It's not even in question; it's documented fact. Making a joke of it won't erase the records you know.
    Nah, she reported him as a possible terrorist, unless anyones got a copy of her statement delcaring him as an actual terrorist carrying out terrorist acts. Much like reporting a possible child abuser to the cops. Either way its hilarious - the next pinko commie loving liberal will think twice before bothering Foley again :ninja:
    Or maybe they won't think of talking to her and will just take a lesson from the IRA/UDF school of debate. Personally, I prefer a society where you don't have to check under your car before turning the ignition, but then what would I know? I'm just a left-wing, tree-hugging, long-haired, pinko commie hippie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

face it he sent he an email, it was a cheap shot, he didnt come out in public and say it, and in response she took a cheap shot back at him. If you cant take it dont give it, anyway i laughed my socks off when i read the original post.... we will have to send them your url too, sparks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So this person who was running for Office in this country reported one of this countries citizens to a foreign power.

Change this from Ireland to the US and the country that he was reported to lets say China, then imagine the outrage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭cleareyed

Declan McKenna of the Ireland Cuba Support Group wrote to her to ask what kind of American experience she had - "such as invasion or economic sanctions" or "limbs blown off by a US missile" or had her "government overthrown".

Guess we'll have to rely on the US to realise that sending that email on them was daft. Interestingly, I suppose Mckenna's definition of the American experience could be applied to a lot of Germans after WW2. It is very broad isn't it? Covers a lot of territory. When was there an election last in Cuba btw? Just what does he support?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Can't see how the slander issue arises - it appears to be McKenna telling us all about it (I've not read the Tribune article)

Like Macros42, I'm a little more concerned with Foley telling the US Embassy about this instead of our own cops. If she was actually concerned our own police would have been the ones to tell. If she wasn't actually concerned and just felt like spoiling the day of a guy whe thought was being smart she's frankly a malicious cow (and into wasting the time of a foreign embassy but that's their problem - let's hope she doesn't ever get an actual threat as wolf-cryers aren't taken seriously). That's irrespective of what the guy actually said, why or what his background is. Either way, not impressed, she was going for election after all.

Like gandalf said, do the switcheroo with the countries and you can see the problem.

On a lighter note, what is "the American experience"? Six months working hard in a business in a US city? Quick day out so you can make a double entendre on how big the Grand Canyon is? Wandering around the deep south like Mary Banotti wondering why they don't serve you in the black queues? Dodgy night in a Dublin hotel with some guy or girl who owns a stetson? Wasting half the 80s watching Dallas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by sceptre
    Dodgy night in a Dublin hotel with some guy or girl who owns a stetson? Wasting half the 80s watching Dallas?

Is there something you want to tell us, sceptre? It's ok, we're all friends here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Interesting and all as it'd probably be, I've tended to limit myself to Ivy League types and Dallas was usually on too late for me in the early 80s:) Besides, to a youngster, a talking car was far more interesting than watching Sue-Ellen getting drunk (again). I'll try to introduce some actual humour into my next bottom-of-otherwise-relevant-politics-post babble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

But heres the thing... which was better... kitt or herbie.

/me arches eyebrow

I guess this is what a thread hijack looks like.

Anyway, not sure what McKenna is so upset about - A) the report is not going to be taken too seriouisly Id imagine, B) seeing as his attitude to the "american experience" is so overwhelmingly negative why the hell would he want to be in contact with the US embassy anyway? Hes just a grump.

Either way its hilarious - the next pinko commie loving liberal will think twice before bothering Foley again :ninja:

The US not taking a terrorist allegation seriously? What drugs are you on?

He's in touch with the embassy as part of the Cuba Support group.

So we shouldn't bother our politicians about their statements should we not. Silly me - I thought lese majesty was done away with in a democracy.

Steve - a pinko commie loving liberal :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Naziism if you ask me.

Originally posted by Macros42
    Unfortunately the Tribune online is subscription but if it's ok with the mods I can scan that article and attach it here.

Mods - some people haven't seen the article. Is there any objection to me attaching a scan of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Nope I'd love to read it :)

Article attached:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

That's bizarre. I guess the american experience had the effect of her believing that the US actually are the policemen of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Heh I was reading a pissing competition on another board, and one reply was (not mine) "At least I live in a country where I can call my president an asshole and not expect to be under investigation for it".

Guess thats not true anymore.

So this is what "American Experience" is?

Advertisement