Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Html

Options
  • 22-07-2004 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I was wondering if you could help me
    I have an attachment linked to a url and when the person clicks on the url the user is given the oppurtunity to either open download or cancel
    I would like to force them into opening it from current location ie no option box would appear

Anyone have any ideas or could point mein the right direction

RGDS
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Afaik you can't really force a browser to do anything. Check out http://webtips.dan.info/force.html . It has some info on why you shouldn't do that sort of thing. Mainly because its really annoying, especially for people who are using a different browser/OS to the one the designer used.

If you are hell bent on trying to do it you coould possibly try some sort of javascript commands: document.open(url) or something like that if memory serves me correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Ivan Dunaev

do you realize that possibility of force opening could do to your computer, if some evil person (not Phil) redirects you to dangerous file?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

its only accesable through an intranet everyone is logged and its only for managers so i dont think anyone will really mess with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

*cough* Certainly not.

We have Word docs and Excel workbooks downloading of our intranet applications and we still prompt the user to open in the browser or save because its deemed bad to force the open. Its a Standard of Practice and a good one to adopt.

Managers you say, is there a worse user group? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Ivan Dunaev

it's a browser security policy indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You may be able to force it through if you have a corporate security policy and version of the browser in place, but even the latest version of IE now has some security built in (about fecking time)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This actually can be done - I have done exactly the same where I want a user to download an image as opposed to the browser open it (a lot of the web-based email services do this for attachments on emails)

This is done by server-side scripting. I only know how to to this through ASP, but the idea should be much the same for PHP or whatever backend technology you are using. Here is an article on it for ASP

Advertisement