Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tech develpment in ST

• 22-07-2004 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Ok, If The Xindi have had Space faring tech for over 4000 years why are they so primtive?
    Loiok at the tech of the Federation after only 300 years and then look at the tech of the Xindi after 4000 years- thats messed up.

Then look at the voth they have had space tech for around 60-65 million years - yes there tech is VERY advanced but still i think in 60 million years the federation will be allot more advanced than they are.

The dominion has been around for 6000 years, yes there tech is better than Feerations tech. The dominin has VERY advanced transporters and tacion detection tech but still they have had 5500 years more time to develep than the federation klingons and romulans yet somehow those 3 races cought up in a fed hundread years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

(can't believe I'm responding to a Star Trek thread)

You forget that the federation is made up of many races, a lot of whom have been around longer then the humans. Since they share technology, it's only natural that they would have good tech all round, and a quicker development time.

The Voth are a race restricted by scripture and belief. It's reasonable to assume that much tech development is slow or banned because it conflicts with doctrine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I forgot about that voth scripture of Dogma (lol dogma)

The federation explanation is ok but still dosent explain the lack of develpmentin the dominion and Xindi. Also If the reason u gave is why the federation is advanced how then can the romulans and klingons match federation tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by User45701
    I forgot about that voth scripture of Dogma (lol dogma)

The federation explanation is ok but still dosent explain the lack of develpmentin the dominion and Xindi. Also If the reason u gave is why the federation is advanced how then can the romulans and klingons match federation tech.
    Well, the federation is only as good as it's oldesy member. If we assume the Vuclans are the oldest member (anyone know?), then the Romulans, and the Klingons will be on an equal par with them.
    Now, add in the rest of the Federation, and they'll eek ahaed of the other two - but the Romulans are conquerors and the Klingons are warriors, so most, if not all of their development will focus on military weaponry. The humans and the Vulcans don't put the same level of emphasis in, hence why they're not a match toe-to-toe with a Romulan Warbird, and easily outgunned by two Klingon birds-of-prey.

(Now I must go and fight, to assert my non-nerdliness)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by seamus
    hence why they're not a match toe-to-toe with a Romulan Warbird, and easily outgunned by two Klingon birds-of-prey.

(Now I must go and fight, to assert my non-nerdliness)

Depends what you mean by toe to toe with a warbird...im fairly sure the galaxy class out classes the warbird in speed and matches it in weapons power which is fairly impressive for a ship 1/2 its size with very little space given over to weapons on board. If the galaxy can match them then the prommy could beat it (as was shown) and the sovereign class would rape it also the producers of ds9 said there’s a few different sub class's of warbirds some are big ass warships on par with a galaxy class others are troop carriers etc this was done to explain the horrible beatings those ships took in the dominion war.

This also effects any starfleet vrs bird of preys argument as there are a LOAD of sub classes Kvork for instances where shown in three episodes of Tng including yesterdays enterprise (the two that destroyed the enterprise D) and little rascals (used by a couple of big eared freaked to take over the flagship...riker should of been shot after that) then there’s the 110 meter long bop the 70 meter long bop the 700 meter long bop ..........And all sorts of weirdness in between

Proud of his nerdliness

Also there was General changes proto type bop. Wouldnet mind 1 of them, then i could show everyone that i am right and there dead. and em. ok nough of that.

I always liked the Kvort class BOP however what wasent explained was Martocks BOP has the armments and crew of a K`vort but looked like a standerd 12 man BOP.
    Very confusing

• Advertisement

my times it was mentioned he had a crew of 12-24 which is about right for a 110 meter long bop also i douth very much its anywhere near as powerful as a kvork

According to my fact files (god i cant belive i said that) and a number of websites and i think ster trek 3 it has a crew of 12

ya but 12 to crew it and 12 troops maybe.It would be crammed but such is war and klingons arent ones to complain

Im certan its 12 crew no troops the BOP isent designed for invasion or bording it is a raider and h/k

In ST3 There are 3 crew on the planet. That kleaves 9 on the ship The captain stays behind along with 1 other officer. That leaves 7. Those 7 board the enterprise. The enterprise self destructs.

The captin is beamed down to the planet and is killed by kirk. That leaves just the 1 left on the ship. Movie over

yep and in the next movie the same bop which is 110 meters long has a cargo bay able to hold 2 whales so 12 extra klingons wouldnt be a problem tbh its war they would have them there as extra protection or hit and run operations

assumeing martocks (sp) had 24 people on board

• Advertisement

Martocks was a **** up.

It Had
    kvort armaments
    kvort crew
    kvort shielding
    Yet it looked like a standerd 12 man BOP

I don’t get why you think it had anything like kvork class weapons or shields i don’t remember it beating the fudge out of big ships or being extremely powerful but do remember martock was a big part of ds9 perhaps on the level of the main crew and as we all know they cant and wont die unless it cant be avoided (ie they leave) so there ships are all but invincible unless again the plot calls for the ship to be destroyed

mind you this was years ago stupid sky replay ds9!

I remember martok requesting 10 new crew men (or mabe it was 16) well anyway he got half what he asked. But he aready had 13 different crew obard that we saw. It had a larger drew aswell another 7 or 8 in the engenering section. This indicates it had 30 ish crew.

I cant remember the episode but i do remember martocks ship having more weapon that a forward torpedo and 2 forward disrupters.

Also why would the commander of the allience 5th fleet (or is he the commander of the 9th?) only have a BOP? Also why would the leader of the entire klinton empire only have a BOP? In the final attack on cardassia he was on his own usual ship.

To me evidece points to a **** up on behalf of the writers

no douth he could of taken a vorcha or negvar but Like all good commanders he wanted to be seen taken the same risks as his soilders plus klingons dont really care about dieing in battle.

I think you can drop the 24-30 man thing it isnt that big a deal as i said the bop from star trek 3 held 2 whales and bill's ego

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭The Admiral

Originally posted by User45701
    Ok, If The Xindi have had Space faring tech for over 4000 years why are they so primtive?
    Loiok at the tech of the Federation after only 300 years and then look at the tech of the Xindi after 4000 years- thats messed up.

Then look at the voth they have had space tech for around 60-65 million years - yes there tech is VERY advanced but still i think in 60 million years the federation will be allot more advanced than they are.

The dominion has been around for 6000 years, yes there tech is better than Feerations tech. The dominin has VERY advanced transporters and tacion detection tech but still they have had 5500 years more time to develep than the federation klingons and romulans yet somehow those 3 races cought up in a fed hundread years.

People often make the wrong assumption: we often believe that cultures develope in a progressive way. It's history that proves cultures can also deteriorate, diminish and even disappear from the face of the world. We often suggest quite arrogantly the human race will develop further and further and that our technology is progressing more and more. In other words: we are determined the human race will keep on scoring technologically and thus progress. That reminds me over and over again of the Roman Empire. Their social arrogance and cultural development layed the very base of their "fall".
    Also do not forget that knowledge can be lost. Our knowledge today is nothing more than the sum of all we achieved during our history. In the past everything was written in rock, on papyrus, parchment or paper. Today we all put it on digital media. One nuclear holocaust will be sufficient to whipe out all that. Especially our digital media - we do not tend to acknowledge that - is vulnerable. So, is technological "advance" always progressive ? Who knows ?....

The Admiral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,996 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Also why would the commander of the allience 5th fleet (or is he the commander of the 9th?) only have a BOP? Also why would the leader of the entire klinton empire only have a BOP? In the final attack on cardassia he was on his own usual ship.

I believe when Martok was garrison commander on DS9 (before Gowron decided to take charge personally), he says to Worf that he'll keep his flag aboard the Ro'tarin - probably as Bizmark says - a morale, lead-from-the-front thing.

Advertisement