Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automatic web content

Options
  • 22-07-2004 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Guys,
    I need some help here if anyone has any spare...
    I am creating a website for a small letting agency. Now i have no problems creating the website but they want to upload new pages on a semi-regular basis.
    they do not have a great ammount of web experience so i was wondering if it is possible to have a script or program to do the following:

1. Allow them to type up the description of premises, price etc and maybe a pic or two

2. Upload this page with a unique name automatically and then

3. Create a link from the main page to this page

4. Simple way to then remove the link when gone and delete the page

Now they do not have too many properties (half a dozen or so at any time) so it does not have to be anything majorily confusing.

Any help would be most gratefully recieved.

Many thanks
    Gibo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Better implemented in a database app IMO.

It is possible to write scripts to generate new html files, and alter existing ones, but IMO, it's needlessly complicated and error-prone.

A php/mysql solution would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

so how would i go about that then using a database??
    Remember these people do not have great skills!!

Thanks
    Martin

You're the one writing the pages, they won't need any skills at all :)

I'd implement it with two sides: the customer side, and the shop side.

The shop side is basically an Admin panel. You have a form that the owners fill out, with name of premises, address, description, upload fields for pics, etc. This form posts the data to a script which loads all the info into a DB.
    Another form allows them to update or delete existing properties. You can stick in any other admin stuff you think they'd need too.

The customer side can actually then be written in a handful of pages. The index page shows the latest property. If you want, you can have a property search, which pulls properties from the DB, depending on cost, location, etc. When a customer clicks for more info on a property, the dynamic page loads all the relevent info from the DB.

Easy peasy

On the other hand, your client might not want this, and might be happier to pay you an agreed fee each time the want a property added.

thanks seamus,
    This sounds like exactly what i need to do!!
    Now easy peasy to you is not easy peasy to me :(
    i am only an average webmaster...
    do you know anywhere i can see an example of the code needed?? :)
    thanks again
    Gibo

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Tech Overhaul

I'm doing the same type of website for a friend and I'm going to use an open source php website. You can find more information about it here www.open-realty.org

• Advertisement

Originally posted by gibo_ie
    thanks seamus,
    This sounds like exactly what i need to do!!
    Now easy peasy to you is not easy peasy to me :(
    i am only an average webmaster...
    do you know anywhere i can see an example of the code needed?? :)
    thanks again
    Gibo
    Nope.
    Although you can browse any other Estate agents/letting company's websites, to get a feel for what they do.

Go and get yourself a book on writing web applications. I recommend writing it in PHP and MySQL, but depending on your hosting situation, and your previous experience, you may want to choose something else. There are almost unlimited Language/Database combinations to write web applications in.
    For a programming newbie, I recommend PHP.

Edit:
    ^^ Or what he says above. Looks good. Although it's not much use for learning purposes. :)

Thanks all for your help
    I might try wizard archers sugestion (even though its a ready made) and see if i can learn php and modify it a bit for my needs.
    You guys are great :)
    Gibo

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Further to what Seamus has said, I have a few questions you should ask yourslef:-
    1. do they currently have a web host?
    2. if they do what languages & databases do they support? ASP & MS Access or php & mySQL are some of the most common. If you do it in PHP & mySQL and then find out the host doesn't support it, then you have the headache of having to transfer the domain to a different host or whatever.
    3. if they don't currently have a host, then find one that matches the language & database you are going to design the site in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Simple solution since you're not web savvy would be to get them to invest in macromedia contribute. Set up the pages for them, do a couple of hours taining with them and then they shouldnt have problems from there on in!

However, professionaly I would suggest a more robust system that is spcifically designed for this task!

Tom

All,
    I went with wizards sugestion (thanks again) and within an hour of proper looking at it i now have the basic website up and running, now just need to tweak it and customise it but you can see it at
    www.mathewsproperty.com/openrealty

All credit on this goes to www.open-realty.org as it is open source and i take no claim for the excelence of this product but it goes to show how simple one can set it up with!!
    Gibo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

just while you are tweaking it:-
    1. change page title (remove the 1.1.4)
    2. add more content to home page (too much white space)
    3. possibly make menu system pics smaller (incidentally pics not showing) as they stretch way down on the 800*600 screen Im at here
    4. listing page is too wide for the screen here resulting in text wrapping and there is a nasty black edge on the top right corner.
    but you were possibly doing all these anyway.

thanks kb , your right this is what i am working at this AM. AS i said i have only spent an hour so far on it so i'll throw it open to the floor in the next few days for advice and opinions!!
    Thanks
    Gibo

Advertisement