Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flynn Blames it on the wife!!

Options
  • 22-07-2004 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Well I am never amazed by what go's on in the tribunals.

Former EU Commissioner Padraig Flynn was at the tribunal today and this is what RTE have reported:
    Former EU Commissioner Padraig Flynn has told the Mahon Tribunal that his wife Dorothy opened a bogus non-resident account without his knowledge.

Mr Flynn said he gave his wife a £50,000 cheque from developer Tom Gilmartin but was unaware it was lodged into what he described as an 'external UK account'.

He also said he cannot assist the tribunal as to the source of political donations totalling over £44,000.

Padraig Flynn said he could not explain how his signature appeared on a declaration of non-resident status which is thought to have been made between 1989 and 1990.

However, he confirmed that he was resident in Ireland at the time and did not reside at the address given at Chiswick, London.

Mr Flynn said he did not ask his wife where she had lodged Mr Gilmartin's £50,000 payment even though it was equal to his gross annual salary at the time and was the biggest political donation he ever received.

When he discovered the existence of the three non-resident accounts in the early 1990s, he asked his wife to close them.

The former Minister for Environment confirmed he had failed at first to reveal to the tribunal a £8,000 donation from National Toll Roads received in June 1993, but he denied that some of this money went towards the purchase of an apartment.

He said he did not keep a 'little black book' recording donations he received and apart from the £50,000 from Tom Gilmartin he could not account for the balance of £94,000 he received between 1987 and 1989.

There was an accumulation of election donations he got from relations, friends and supporters and he said that sometimes he was like a local bank cashing cheques on a Friday evening.

He said he would not recognise all the money or cheques he received going back 20 years and told Chairman Judge Alan Mahon 'I would not expect the same of you'.

Mr Flynn is giving evidence today for the first time at the tribunal.

So he wants them to believe that he gave his wife a cheque worth the same as his yearly salary and never thought to ask what she done with it???

Come on I mean how stupid does he think we are!!!! :rolleyes:

Source:http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0722/mahon.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

"I told her to take the housekeeping money out of me jacket, and next thing I know she's opened an English bank account with me 50 grand cheque..." :D

Yeah right...

I could have sworn I heard something on the radio this morning about he thought the cheque was for 5,000 instead of 50,000 when it was given to him. What with the nice numbers on the cheque, you wouldn't notice the words 'Fifty Thousand Pounds Only' instead of 'Five Thousand Pounds Only', would you?

Unless you were illiterate or dyslexic of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Un-fecking-believable!!!!!!!!! The neck of the man. So so so typical of the FF culture at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

"Hello darling"
    "Hi, How was your day?"
    "Ah not bad, the usual. Here's a cheque for 50 grand"
    "Okay. Are chops alright for dinner?"
    "Yes fine. Bloody nightmare in there today"
    "Well you're home now so just forget all about it"

Who would care what happened to a cheque for £50,000?
    That's the kind of thing that goes out of my mind very quickly, like leaving the emmersion on.
    he said that sometimes he was like a local bank cashing cheques on a Friday evening.

Poor fella. Running around like a blue-ars*d fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

How did he not get found in contempt of court for that cock and bull story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Clearly the man has no shame judging by recent pictures of him on RTE news and in various papers. He seems to strut about rather proudly, probably thinking hehehe I've gotten away with it and I'll probably never be punished at this stage.

I'm suprised he wasn't pulled up by the judge for concocting stories such as the one he gave the tribunal.

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement
Advertisement