Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrishBroadband Ripwave

• 22-07-2004 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Is anyone using this? I applied for it but they said I'll have to wait until September (I live beside Trinity college.)

What's up with the delays?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Not all the high sites support vl yet.
    So your nearest one prob will not be up working nd running until then

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I applied for Ripwave broad band from IBB out on the northside near Sutton and was told I would be up and running at the end of July. I rang back 2 weeks later to see how things were progressing and was told there would be a 2 month delay. So I wouldn't bank on you getting access by September.
    I have been trying to get broadband access from them since April (Home Breeze Product) and have been told the site will be live in 2 weeks continually from them since that date. I just won't get a land line into the house.

IBB seem not to know their ar*e from their elbow when it comes to rolling out new site. They should jst come clean and tell people the real story.
    All I want is for NTL is to drop one of those leaflets into the door saying broadband is available in your area.

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

A lot of us are waiting for NTL but theres still no sign of it. I applied for IBB last week (the new ripwave 3.5Ghz product that they are offering) through the website. I'm in range and should be fine apparently coming off the Digital Hub high site.

So I rang them the other day to ask if they had gotten my order and processed it.

They have but according to the person I spoke to they have been sent the wrong software for the ripwave modems. They got the old 2.6Ghz rather than the new 3.5Ghz. Apparently it should be sorted in the next 5-10 days. Sounded a bit like stalling to me but all I can do is wait and see.

Pardon me if I have my frequencies wrong. Top of the head stuff at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Interesting. Because I'm moving down beside Trinity in two weeks time and they said I could have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Originally posted by Tazz T
    Interesting. Because I'm moving down beside Trinity in two weeks time and they said I could have it.

Like all call centres it all depends who you get on the phone.

At the start of the call she told me it would be 2 or 3 weeks.

After I'd given her my CC info she'd up'd it to September!

Nice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Same happened to me when asking when it would be available I was told 2 weeks when following up on my application I was told 2 months.
    Seems to be a bit of a trait there.

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

IBB are notorious for their "it will be available in 4 weeks" bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Over the last 2 days i have noticed that my bittorrent traffic has been very dodgy, same with DC++.

At the moment i can't upload faster than 0.1kb/sec in DC++, and about 10kb/sec in Bittorrent... download speeds are ****e in DC++ but decent enough in Bittorrent.

What the ***** are IBB up to. They advertise an uncapped unlimited product! And now they impose artificial limits using bandwidth managers!

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking thread, but i don't want to start a new one.

EDIT:2 in responcse to moriorities post below... MY upload is still perfect in FTP, i can max out in seconds, and my download is still perfect in ftp/http. Therefore i conclude it is not a technical problem, and neither is it contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Mutant_Fruit: keep us posted if it stays **** like that. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

In fairness now MF, you have no idea whether they've imposed traffic shaping or its just a technical problem. Jumping to conclusions isn't nearly
    as good a mental exercise as digging for the facts.

• Advertisement

edited my above post with more complete info. E-mailing them now. And Chaz did say a few days ago that connection problems i was experiencing for about an hour or two were due to the new Traffic Manager they installed, and they had to shut it down, as it was killing the network... maybe its working now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

If you have access to another machine on the interweb, try and setup an FTP server listening on one of the DC or BT ports and try and upload/download from it and see if you get the same results, i.e. find out if they are limiting it just by port number?

already tryed setting DC++ to use over 10 different random ports, and then some standard ports. Nothing works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    EDIT:2 in responcse to moriorities post below... MY upload is still perfect in FTP, i can max out in seconds, and my download is still perfect in ftp/http. Therefore i conclude it is not a technical problem, and neither is it contention.

Just because some stuff works fine doesn't mean it's not a technical problem somewhere with their network. Sure it isn't something to do with your wireless connection to their base station, but you can't know for sure beyond that.

Even if traffic is being shapped for you at the moment, it doesn't mean that it's now policy of ibb to shape everyone and everything, like your post implies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fraggel

Have you seen the IBB website for ripwave.
    The new 3.5ghz product is out in some areas. (and the first 2000 customers had free installation)

I ordered it ages ago but finally received instructions on the self-install of their hardware. After 2 weeks I still haven't got the hardware itself yet, but that figures it's IBB all over.

Has anyone else tested out this new product??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Its advertised as a 40:1 contention product. Would some sort of traffic shaping not be necessary in the absence of fixed caps?

i got the 8:1 contention product. I think traffic shaping is against the terms of the origional contract. However, it is allowed under the terms of the Ripwave contract.

I also think traffic shaping goes against their very advertising on the breeze home plus product. From their very website...
    unrestricted uploading and downloading
    Therefore that is a blatant lie if they are restricting me by packetshaping/limiting me to 2kb/sec and under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    i got the 8:1 contention product. I think traffic shaping is against the terms of the origional contract. However, it is allowed under the terms of the Ripwave contract.

I also think traffic shaping goes against their very advertising on the breeze home plus product. From their very website...

Therefore that is a blatant lie if they are restricting me by packetshaping/limiting me to 2kb/sec and under.

I'd imagine your bittorrent performance has more to do with the number of seeders / leechers of the files you're after than it has to do with IBB traffic shaping. I too am on IBB & I'm currently looking at 45k up & ~25k down on bittorrent. It fluctuates quite a lot, though. Such is life.

Unless of course you actually have proof that they're throttling / shaping your bandwidth - what did they say when you rang up and asked?

Here is more info that i found out.

While i was talking to a few friends on DC++, one of them pointed me out to a mod of it, which has an advanced option to help with ISP limiting.

SO i took said programs web address, downloaded it, turned on the option, and woila! i had full upload speeds again. It didn't work quite as well on download speeds though, but i'm getting a hell of a lot more than before (which was about 2kb/sec).

When i was using the standard client, i couldn't upload or download faster than a 14.4k modem. With the options enabled in the new client, i get full uploads, and about 1/3 to 1/4 of my usual download speed.

While i was using my old client, i could go to any FTP or HTTP server, and instantly max out my connection, either upload or download, or both at once, but DC++ would never increase beyond 14.4k speeds. Also, torrents do seem to be OK, they are just taking a lot longer to kick in now (about 30 mins longer), probably because of the same thing thats killed my DC++ transfers.

EDIT: I e-mailed in, and explained the issue as i see it. I was then told to download the 20/25 mb file from their FTP, which i did (even though i did say HTTP/FTP was fine...) and so they got a perfect graph of maxed out downloads.

The person i was talking to then forwarded the two e-mails i sent in with the attached images back to me, with no explanation attached. So i'm assuming they're thinking "what is this guy on about, his maxing out". So i'll have to ring tomorrow i'd say and explain in more detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

um, speaking of the ripwaves, can a member of IBB staff give me an answer on this? I wish to know if all the existing ripwave modems have been switched over from 2.4 to your own 3.x frequencies. And if not already, do you have any idea when that will happen? I have been getting some awful interference lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

You might be waiting for a while for them to reply - I have sent them 3 e-mails over the last 2 weeks, still no answer...

It's sad - so many people want an alternative to Eircom etc. but these guys seem to want to **** things up for themselves...

Well, i had a (short) email conversation with an employee friday night. About 4 e-mails each, then email support closed :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

My brother just recently got the ripwave installed and he's living out in blanchardstown, but here's a thing that he wasn't sure of; he said they install software on your machine to code/decode the wireless transmissions (i think) but he said that they never left a copy of the software with him, so what happens if he needs to rebuild the machine or reinstall windows? does he have to call them back out and pay them X amount of yoyos for them to reinstall the software for him? Also, he's noticed that the fastest he's got out of the service to date was 300KB/s as opposed to the 512KB/s up AND down he was promised (i realise that this may be due to his distance from the transmitter)

Has anyone else come accross these issues?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Anybody got some download speeds / pings / treacrt's from the ripwave service ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

aligator_am where abouts in blanchardstown are you? Im in coolmine/clonsilla and want to get it but havent got an email reply from them after 4 emails. Suppose I have to ring them some day instead..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Repli, my brother lives out in blanch, i'm not 100% of the exact location but i know he's fairly close to corduff if that helps? I'll find out the exact name and let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Why do they advertise a Cork office when it's not availible here yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by DukeDredd
    Why do they advertise a Cork office when it's not availible here yet?
    I just got off the phone with Support, and they couldn't actually tell me whether it's available in Dublin for new customers yet either!

Originally posted by aligator_am
    My brother just recently got the ripwave installed and he's living out in blanchardstown, but here's a thing that he wasn't sure of; he said they install software on your machine to code/decode the wireless transmissions (i think) but he said that they never left a copy of the software with him, so what happens if he needs to rebuild the machine or reinstall windows?
    There is no software needed to use Ripwave, if you get the ethernet version. If you get the USB version, you have to install a USB driver, which is included on the Cd in the box, and that can be downloaded from the Navini website (Navini are the manufacturers of Ripwave).

I've no idea why they sent someone out to install it for him - Ripwave is even more "self-install" than ADSL is! Are you sure he didn't get HomeBreeze?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by marclar
    um, speaking of the ripwaves, can a member of IBB staff give me an answer on this? I wish to know if all the existing ripwave modems have been switched over from 2.4 to your own 3.x frequencies. And if not already, do you have any idea when that will happen? I have been getting some awful interference lately.
    I'm still on the 2.4GHz gear, and can't get any commitment from IBB about when I'll be upgraded to the 3.5GHz gear.

It's dumb - people are starting to ask about Ripwave, and the people who should be their best ambassadors are telling their friends to back off, because the service we've been getting from IBB recently has been less than impressive (to put it mildly).

As a "communications" company, they're definitely in the eircom calls when it comes to communicating with their customers!

Advertisement