Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrishBroadband Ripwave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Originally posted by Ripwave
    There is no software needed to use Ripwave, if you get the ethernet version. If you get the USB version, you have to install a USB driver, which is included on the Cd in the box, and that can be downloaded from the Navini website (Navini are the manufacturers of Ripwave).

You could be right, he may have got HomeBreeze option, to be honest I'm not sure, but I thought it sounded a bit funny that they would supply such an unusual setup. He's a network admin, so if they left him confused you can imagine what the average joe soap must be wondering when talking to them (IBB) they may as well be staring into a hedge! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

whats the contention ratio on Ripwave? i cant see it documented anywhere on their site...

/edit sorry see it now on the pricing page. 40:1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I was on the phone to IBB yesterday again. Again they claim they haven't got the software for the ripwave modems and that it might be another 2 weeks or so. Considering I was told the same about a week and a half ago I am somewhat dubious about them at this point. It sounded like they were still testing the 3.5Ghz to me (that was sort of let slip by them).

Can they provide the service or can they not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by machalla
    I was on the phone to IBB yesterday again. Again they claim they haven't got the software for the ripwave modems and that it might be another 2 weeks or so.
    That doesn't make a lot of sense, unless they are waiting for some sort of firmware upgrade from Navini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I called IBB back and got a different story from another sales person. MOre honest at least. There is apparently such a backlog of orders that it will be at least 3 weeks before they get around to my own.

So presuming that it takes 3 more weeks then that will be 5 weeks approximately to send out a wireless modem with no setup required. Makes you pity anyone waitiing on the installation of the Home Breeze product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭bender

Just ordered IBB Ripwave, I live in M Abbey Street. The persone I spoke to said she'll be sending the modem in 2 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed. Will keep you guys updated on this. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Same here.
    Ordered it yesterday, went for the CC option as I thought it would be shipped immediately, without the DD delay.

Got an email from a Residential Sales today saying that "As far as I am aware we will be shipping out modems from next week, so you should get your modem in the next week or two."

Wait and see I guess....
    :dunno:

just got a call from a guy saying that they are ready to ship the modems, but the transmitter is not live as yet. It should be operational this friday. Fingers crossed again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

This is bizarre. I've e-mail them 5 times, either asking them to reply by e-mail or ring me.

I've been ignored every time.

And I've already given them my CC details.

This company seems like a bit of a joke... if only I had a phoneline I'd steer clear of them, but I don't think I have much of a choice...

This company seems like a bit of a joke... if only I had a phoneline I'd steer clear of them, but I don't think I have much of a choice...
    I have a phone line, and I have a choice (I can get DSL). I've had Ripwave since late last year, and I've been very patient with IBB.

But I've pretty much given up on them - I've had low throughput for months, and didn't get any satisfaction from support. And the signal has been going on and off for the last couple of weeks - not an interference issue, because I've brought the modem to different locations, with the same result. Today, I was told that this is happening to "some modems", but IBB says that it's not a problem with the modem, so they won't replace it.

Frankly, I've put up with it, because they haven't been charging me for it since I raised the issue. Today, they took €180 out of my bank account, despite me explictly telling them not to on Tuesday, because they haven't been delivering the service.

I've been prepared to support any alternative to eircom, but today, IBB just lost a customer, and eircom will now be €22 per month better off, or whatever the wholesale cost of broadband is (I won't be getting DSL from eircom, but eircom will still make more money from my DSL connection than Digiweb or ESAT/IOL or UTV will :( )

Has anyone used the Small Claims court? What's the procedure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Ripwave wrote:

Has anyone used the Small Claims court? What's the procedure?

The procedure is simple.

1. government website for info and form IIRC
    2. fill out form , take it to your local district court pay them €10 or so .
    3. Court (with its small claims hat on ) writes to IBB
    4. If IBB do not fight it, it is unlikely they will, you get your decision in 14-21 days or so
    5. If they do fight you arrive into the clerks office, sit there with them and the clerk and chat about the issue, it is very user friendly and non confrontational with the clerk as chairperson of a natter rather than judge ...which is what they are .

You will win if you simply tell the facts on the form and tell the same facts in the SCC if it goes that far. I have got refunds on Ryanair flights in the SCC with no contest from Ryanair, mind you its a west of Ireland SCC and I was very careful to file the claim in Irish :D

Shame they lost interest in the 2.4Ghz people so soon. You get the impression that the Ripwave deployment was a trophy exercise for them. Hope the 3.5Ghz Ripwave punters fare better.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gorgon

I got my new 3.4ghz modem (not 3.5) on wednesday to replace my 2.4ghz and started using it last night because they had the wrong serial number of my modem so it wouldnt connect, they had an 8 instead of a B in their records, but something really strange has started to happen. The ip has started to get released very frequently (about 2 hours) and not renew itself properly and i get a autoconfigered ip from windows. I then have to repair it manually, but if the firewall is on (norton) it wont get one, so i have to turn norton off then repair the ip and then turn norton on again. I've never seen this behaviour before and im a net admin for over 5 years, ive been with ibb ripwave since august 2003. Has any one else experienced any of this.

"Chief---"
    ping boards.ie -t

Pinging boards.ie [82.195.131.128] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=245ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=98ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=78ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=103ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=102ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=102ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=243ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=204ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=83ms TTL=58
    Reply from 82.195.131.128: bytes=32 time=223ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 82.195.131.128:
    Packets: Sent = 13, Received = 13, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 78ms, Maximum = 245ms, Average = 133ms

dl's about 55kb/s

Gorgon wrote:
    The ip has started to get released very frequently (about 2 hours) and not renew itself properly and i get a autoconfigered ip from windows.
    That's pretty much what I was seeing, but it's got to the stage where, according to the intruder log on my firewall, I get connected for about half an hour, and can then be disconnected for hours at a time. At first, renewing seemed to work, but now it's not - the signal light is flashing red, suggesting that there is no connection at all, though that's exactly what happened when their authentciation server went down, so it's not necessarily a signal problem, so much as the modem not being able to find a server that it recognizes.

I also notice that the subnet is now a /25 (subnet mask 255.255.255.128). I'm pretty sure that it used to be a /24, so I wonder if someone has screwed up the size of the network pool).

It may be prudent to open RADIUS ports on your firewall in case IBB neglected to tell you to so do . Google for them , IIRC 1812 and 1813 are they.

M

Muck wrote:
    It may be prudent to open RADIUS ports on your firewall in case IBB neglected to tell you to so do . Google for them , IIRC 1812 and 1813 are they.
    As there's no radius client on the workstation, it's unlikely to make any difference. (The ripwave unit has a unique serial number which is used to authenticate to the network).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

DukeDredd wrote:
    Why do they advertise a Cork office when it's not availible here yet?

Who said there is no Cork office - or are you reffering to Ripwave only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

hello,

I just got a ripwave modem. I live near the RTE mast (near the burlington hotel). So far I have not managed to get the modem to connect. It is one of IBB's USB ripwave modems. When I turn it on the red light flashes for a few minutes and then goes red, however when I plug it in to the usb port, all the lights go off then on quickly and the red light continues to flash. On the ripwave monitor it registers a connection for a few seconds every now and again. Any ideas if there is anything I can do to sort it out or is the problem on their end? From what I know the mast is live and active. It seems that plugging it in to the usb port "resets" the modem and it fails to find a signal.

Moo

Moojuice wrote:
    I just got a ripwave modem. I live near the RTE mast (near the burlington hotel). So far I have not managed to get the modem to connect. It is one of IBB's USB ripwave modems. When I turn it on the red light flashes for a few minutes and then goes red,
    That's normal - it flashes for about 30 seconds while initializing itself, and then, if it makes a connection, should be a steady (green, orange or red, depending on signal strength).
    however when I plug it in to the usb port, all the lights go off then on quickly and the red light continues to flash. On the ripwave monitor it registers a connection for a few seconds every now and again. Any ideas if there is anything I can do to sort it out or is the problem on their end? From what I know the mast is live and active. It seems that plugging it in to the usb port "resets" the modem and it fails to find a signal.
    That doesn't sound right - it almost sounds as though there's some sort of short in the system if you get different behaviour with the USB cable plugged in. A Flashing red light is supposed to mean that either there is no signal, or that the modem can't authenticate to the server.

Does it make any difference whether the USB cable is plugged in to the PC or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Moojuice wrote:
    hello,

I just got a ripwave modem. I live near the RTE mast (near the burlington hotel). So far I have not managed to get the modem to connect. It is one of IBB's USB ripwave modems. When I turn it on the red light flashes for a few minutes and then goes red, however when I plug it in to the usb port, all the lights go off then on quickly and the red light continues to flash. On the ripwave monitor it registers a connection for a few seconds every now and again. Any ideas if there is anything I can do to sort it out or is the problem on their end? From what I know the mast is live and active. It seems that plugging it in to the usb port "resets" the modem and it fails to find a signal.

Moo

Very interessted to hear how you are getting on.

I live around the corner on Appian Way. I'm still waiting for my Ripwave modem.

There is a site on Leeson St too (top of sugar club). Thought that would be nearer?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rkiver

Seems like I was not the only one who had problems. I started another topic about my specific one if you want to read it.

Suffice to say I was supposed to have it installed in April. It was constantly pushed back, and I only found this out by ringing them, they never rang me back apart from to confirm I had applied for it. I eventually popped into ComReg about it yesterday. Suddenly today I get a call, they apologise, and offer to upgrade me for free, no extra charge etc. Amazing what a little bit of pressure can achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ballooba wrote:
    Very interessted to hear how you are getting on.

I live around the corner on Appian Way. I'm still waiting for my Ripwave modem.

There is a site on Leeson St too (top of sugar club). Thought that would be nearer?
    just got my 3.4ghz this minute and from about 20M away from the Sugar Club there is no signal, Im guessing the sugar club hasnt gone to 3.5 yet...

Spoke to someone in IBB, Sugar Club is NOT 3.5, RTE is though...

this is what i got from IBB a min ago... arrrrr..

--We are experiencing an unforeseen delay in providing our Ripwave service in your coverage area. This is due to the overwhelming demand that we have experienced for the Ripwave product since its initial launch. We are striving to meet this demand as quickly as possible but we are anticipating the dispatch of your Ripwave modem approximately 3 weeks from today if not sooner.

bender wrote:
    this is what i got from IBB a min ago... arrrrr..

--We are experiencing an unforeseen delay in providing our Ripwave service in your coverage area.
    Can you tell us where "your coverage area" is, Bender?

As far as I know, 3.5GHz is supposed to be available from RTE. It's not available from the mast on the Sugar Club in Leeson Street, and it's not exactly clear whether it's available from 3 Rock (IBB seem to be very reluctant to actually tell anyone where this service is actually available).

And look on the bright side - at least they contacted you this time! :D

I live in M. Abbey Street, and was told the tramsmitter covering this area was to go live on last friday. I didn't ask him which one it was. I'll try to call them on Monday to find more about this.
    Been quite surprised by the level of support from them. They called to tell that the service will be live on friday and now a mail to inform the delay. Am quite impressed. keeping my fingers crossed as well.

bender wrote:
    I live in M. Abbey Street, and was told the tramsmitter covering this area was to go live on last friday. I didn't ask him which one it was. I'll try to call them on Monday to find more about this.
    Been quite surprised by the level of support from them. They called to tell that the service will be live on friday and now a mail to inform the delay. Am quite impressed. keeping my fingers crossed as well.
    I'd guess that's probably the Digital Hub site (aka the Guinness tower), or possibly the Sugar Club on Leeson St (which definitely doesn't have Ripwave coverage at the moment).

If you're talking to them again, try to find out which transmitter is providing "your coverage area".

it does make a difference if it is unpullged from the usb ports. It stays red and then starts flashing again when I plug in the USB cable. I have atried it on three different machines and the same thing happens. ALso I plugged in the usb cable when the drivers werent installed and it was on constant red, then as soon as I installed the drivers and clicked "Finish" it started flashing again. Its like there is a problem with the drivers. And because I have no connection I cannot download the updates of the navini website to see if that will sort it. This happened on three different machines also. My only hope is finding a web cafe that will let me download the updates and burn them to cd.

RTE is the mast, the sugar club is NOT for the ripwave service so no luck there. It is available on tree rock but each modem has to be registered on the mast that it is nearest so if you are near the rte mast or within that coverage area then you wont get a signal from the 3 rock mast as you wont be registered on it, only on the rte mast.

Moo

Moojuice wrote:
    .....but each modem has to be registered on the mast that it is nearest so if you are near the rte mast or within that coverage area then you wont get a signal from the 3 rock mast as you wont be registered on it, only on the rte mast.

Moo

Bang goes the single most useful feature of Ripwave in my book. :(

Could you ask them if they will allow roaming within their network in the future , as in a DATE and not the usual 2 month guff. Escalate to a manager and post their initials in here if they say that they will, also the date when the feature will be switched on across the whole of the IBB Ripwave network

If they are not going to allow IBB nomadic roaming between their licence areas (the major cities) then they will find that a lot of their potential customers will go to Budget, another 3.5Ghz licencee with a lot of the same licence areas, who apparently will facilitate roaming when they launch around christmas .

The key difference between Nomadic and Mobile is that you must switch off the unit and then on again and let it (re) negotiate with the nearest tower , it cannot really be used on the move (except on a Terenure bus maybe) but it may once you stop . So its Nomadic and not Mobile, Mobiles support handovers as you change cells on the move, not dropping the calls .

M

I was told that by an engineer friend of mine who knows about such things not by IBB so I am not sure that it is the case with them. I just assumed that it was but it could be different.

Moo

Moojuice wrote:
    I was told that by an engineer friend of mine who knows about such things not by IBB so I am not sure that it is the case with them. I just assumed that it was but it could be different.
    I was certainly under the impression that IBB planned to set up a system whereby your Ripwave modem would work off any tower. Whether I got that impression from IBB, or from posts here on boards, I couldn't say for sure, because I've been under that impression for quite a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

There will most likely be a Nomadic option on the Ripwave. As far I understand it will be an value add option.

Advertisement