Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right Hook - Newstalk asking for info on telco abuses on air NOW!

Options
  • 22-07-2004 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Phone number is 6445103/6 - ask for the Right Hook

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Was in the car but didn't have a hands free kit. John Doherty came across as a pompous and arrogant ass and showed that he and Comreg really have no willingness at all to represent the comsumer. What is needed on these programmes is to get a Ireland Offline Rep in there with them to take him to task totally as I felt the interviewer let him away lightly, especially with his "competition in the CPS market comments", 40 different suppliers (most of them selling rebadged Eircom products) and still for the VAST majority only one supplier for the line which is one of the most expensive in the world (a line that has very little standards regarding quality of services etc!).

If anyone wants to pass on comments etc. heres the email address. therighthook@newstalk106.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Missed this unfortunately. You guys know WAY more facts and figures than I do, so throw some of that knowledge at me and I'll stick it in an email. Of course you should send them in yourselves too.

To kick things off we have those lovely photos that Paul donated, I can send a link to them, and it's been said here many times that a million lines have failed line tests, can we get a source for that please?

We also have the Quarterly Reports, how about giving me some sound bytes for the deception that goes on there?

C'mon folks, help me out here. I'm only a n00b. :)

adam

I note that Newstalk106 has forums now too. The Right Hook forum is second from the bottom.

http://www.newstalk.ie/forum/forums.aspx

adam

Already fired a mail to them. Nice long ranty one about how he failed to nail John Doherty on the excessive line rental charges but no proper USO. Apparently they said that they had gotten 10,000 TXT messages !!! Looks like it might have been a hot subject :)

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Anyone manage to get this saved at all? Or know where I can get a transcript?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Heard this yesterday it was good, but the interview could have been shorter, as no matter what way the questions where put to him by the interviewer, I think Ger Gilroy (standing in for George Hook) John Doherty just kept repeating the same response over and over again, he really came across as someone who is arrogant and sticking up or "working with" the telco companies.

The interview erhad to get really pushy at one point to try and get a straight answer out of comreg but to no avail, Doherty just spouted off the same thing again about, how when comreg investigated the problem, that eircom had for a period of three months been contacting customers who had changed over to smart inside the 3 month no callback timeframe, that the problem had already been fixed so there is no more action necessary other than publishing details of the breach of code of practice,and that eircom have not been the only people who broke the code of practice.

Guys, if this is the kind of response we're going to get at the EGM in September, we might as well pack up the tents and head home now. Do you want IrelandOffline to tackle this or not? It's time to put or shut up.

adam

Yes I think its linked hand in hand with our objectives. A bit surprised at the lack of interest myself. Maybe everyones on holiday :D

I mean Jesus, if we can't put John Doherty in his place... :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Well it is Friday and it is summer holiday time. There's also the problem that the membership is unmotivated. I think some people need to act like Mr Motivator and get the crowd going. Who looks good in spandex ?

• Advertisement

Ah god no !!! Now I have a mental image of Adam in Spandex !!! I'm off to wash my eyes out with Dettol :cool:

I think the time has come to get the kid gloves off and go for Comreg with gusto. I appreciate the softly softly approach that has been tried in recent times but the only way we are going to get these inept civil service types to do anything is by shaming them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Guys, if this is the kind of response we're going to get at the EGM in September, we might as well pack up the tents and head home now. Do you want IrelandOffline to tackle this or not? It's time to put or shut up.
    Its a shame there isn't a copy of this interview anywhere, either on newstalks site, someone taping it or even a transcript.

If there was I think you would see more of a response from members. It might be difficult for people to respond unless we have actual quotes or sound bites.

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by dahamsta
    To be fair, Adam, without a transcript, or a copy of the program for people to listen to, what sort of a response do you expect? We can't rebut what we haven't seen or heard, and unfortunately, NewsTalk 106 is really poor in that regard.

If you just want to gather general information about Comregs poor performance, a sperate thread might be a better choice, though a few minutes perusing the ComWreck site will be time well spent (and entertaining, to boot).

If you want specifics from ComReg reports, PM Muck, he may have pointers. If the million failed lines figure came from ComReg, Muck will probably know.

Have sent a mail asking if they have a copy of the interview available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Iirc the million line failures/pa was part of one of the internal eircom reports that the SBP outed a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Iirc the million line failures/pa was part of one of the internal eircom reports that the SBP outed a few months ago.
    Ah - that was a reference to the number of line faults reported to 1901, I think. I think someone may have used it recently in the contxt of line failures for DSL, which might have caused some confusion (because while a perfectly "good" line might not pass the DSL test, but it would be surprising if there were a million lines connected to enabled exchanges that failed the test).

I think this might be what you're looking for:
    The figures indicate that more than 920,000 faults were reported annually across a network of 1.7 million lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Yup, I suspect you're right ripwave.

Advertisement