Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Home Starter Modem

• 22-07-2004 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi, I've ordered home starter off eircom cause we already have an eircom phone system here at work. Its to replace our isdn connection.

I was told that the dsl modem would be here in three weeks and that they would send someone out to downgrade our isdn line but that I need to network the two pcs in the office first so they can share the connection.
    We also have a laptop so what im planning on doing is getting a 3Com Office Connect Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Gateway 802.11g 54 Mbps, WPA and wiring the two pcs into it and getting a 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 11abg PCcard 54 Mbps 802.11a/g, WPA to connect the laptop.
    What I want to know though is do I need this access point/switch to also have a built in dsl gateway or would it do without?

I'm not sure if I should have posted this in wireless but any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    unforgiven

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by DaUnforgiven
    Hi, I've ordered home starter off eircom cause we already have an eircom phone system here at work. Its to replace our isdn connection.

We also have a laptop so what im planning on doing is getting a 3Com Office Connect Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Gateway 802.11g 54 Mbps, WPA and wiring the two pcs into it and getting a 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 11abg PCcard 54 Mbps 802.11a/g, WPA to connect the laptop.
    What I want to know though is do I need this access point/switch to also have a built in dsl gateway or would it do without?
    No - the "modem/router" supplied by Eircom provides the "DSL gateway" functionality that you need. Having 2 "DSL gateways" (or routers) in place can complicate matters somewhat, so you could just get an access point and a small switch to give you additional wired ports, or you could get the one you specified (which has 4 ports for wired connections), and disable either some of the eircom modem/routers functionality, or some of the 3coms functionality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DaUnforgiven

Thanks for the quick reply Ripwave

I've just noticed though that the 3 Comm OC Access Point alone is €92 and a 3 Com OC switch another €32, whereas the one I mentioned above is €90 and it provides the security features also.

I could get a SMC Barricade Broadband Router 4P 10/100 switch, UPnP, SPI firewall for €35 which provides the switching and security features but the only reason I was leaning towards the 3 Com OC equipment is because one of the pcs has a 3 Com OC NIC in it and it might be better to keep them the same. Is this any advantage?

I suppose the one I mentioned first would be the better option if I disabled the gateway on it but then i might lose the security features, or i could disable the eircom modem if i can.
    Can this be done?

Alternatively I could also just get the SMC Barricade and wire the laptop too. Arrghh

unforgiven

I could get a SMC Barricade Broadband Router 4P 10/100 switch, UPnP, SPI firewall for €35 which provides the switching and security features but the only reason I was leaning towards the 3 Com OC equipment is because one of the pcs has a 3 Com OC NIC in it and it might be better to keep them the same. Is this any advantage?
    No - ethernet has been around for a _very_ long time, and interoperability is not an issue. (Wireless, now, is another story.....)
    I suppose the one I mentioned first would be the better option if I disabled the gateway on it but then i might lose the security features, or i could disable the eircom modem if i can. Can this be done?
    The SMC Barricade and the 3Com will both have the same issues - you'll end up with 2 routers, and will have a slightly more complicated setup. It's not that complicated, and there's even a FAQ about it, but if it doesn't work, it'll be a pain to suss out.
    Alternatively I could also just get the SMC Barricade and wire the laptop too. Arrghh
    Wiring the laptop is more secure than using wireless, and if it's only used in a docking station at a desk anyway, then that might be a good idea. But the SMC isn't going to be any more straightforward than the 3Com, so if you want the flexibility of wireless, then go with the 3Com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DaUnforgiven

I've had a look on the eircom tech support site and im guessing that they give Netopia Cayman 3341 (Combi) routers with the home starter package. Is this right?

If so, there a firewall on it and I could just get a 5 port switch for €40, and leave the wireless for a while.

unforgiven

I've had a look on the eircom tech support site and im guessing that they give Netopia Cayman 3341 (Combi) routers with the home starter package. Is this right?

If so, there a firewall on it and I could just get a 5 port switch for €40, and leave the wireless for a while.
    If you're going with eircom anyway, why not get their wireless router for an extra €50?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

I think you are correct - but the firewall is not activated by default - you have to contact Netopia and pay them to give you a key which you can use start the firewall.

Paddyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tea

Originally posted by Paddyo
    I think you are correct - but the firewall is not activated by default

There is a firewall feature that you can pay for, but under 'Stateful Inspection' in the menu there is another, better, no-charge firewall.

Originally posted by Paddyo
    I think you are correct - but the firewall is not activated by default - you have to contact Netopia and pay them to give you a key which you can use start the firewall.
    The most important firewall feature for most people is provided by the address translation functionailty that is activated by default. It prevents any uninvited inbound packets from reaching in from the Internet to any machine connected to your LAN.

A more full featured firewall, that allows packet forwarding, logging, VPN connections, etc, is only of use to people who will use those features. It won't actually be any more secure (though logs and alerts might be useful for people who are prepared to use them). Keyword or URL filtering, as provided by the 3Com), might be considered important in an office environment, but if not used properly, it can cause a lot of grief.

Advertisement