Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out side air

Options
  • 22-07-2004 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Would it be dangerous to take in air from outside and put it straight into the case i was thinking of connectinga tumble dryer hose to the back of my comp and sucking in air from outside.
    The pros i can think of
    -cooler air air is generally cooler outside
    -less dust because most dust comes from dead skin and hair
    -Quieter the hose muffels the noise a bit
    Cons
    damp air coming into the system but since it gets heated up when it goes into the case therefor cant condence on anything i may be mistaken but i think it should be ok
    Just wondering what you think of this idea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

what about insects?

if you can get a bit of gauze to put over the end, and as long as you take it in when it's raining, I see no harm trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

was thinkin of doin something similar i bought 3 inch clear plastic hose from a plumbing shop and it fits right over my cpu fan so was thinkin of running it straight outside and through the wall i was just worried about condensation too but as u said it wud probably evaporate just as quick. heres a thought though say it does condense into water why not put a little tube from the hose just before it opens to the cpu fan. the hose could lead to a little copper or aluminium beaker that sits on the north chip thus water cooling that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by davkav
    heres a thought though say it does condense into water why not put a little tube from the hose just before it opens to the cpu fan. the hose could lead to a little copper or aluminium beaker that sits on the north chip thus water cooling that.:D
    BZZZTSSS STZZZZ Goes Davkav's OCed pimping rig - water and electricity don't mix kids!:D As silverside said a bit of gauze over the intake should keep it clean but in this summer weather I'd say your fans would push more cool air then what you'd get from the outside. Also, are your mammies going to be happy when you've driled holes in the house!:p :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Meh bro tried something like this before with one of those tumble dryer hoses and an old cooker extracter fan. He had his 2800+ down to 9oC on idle and 12oC on max load. I must find the pics he took of his rig at the time it was abit crazy and kinda noisy if you could imagine a fan dishing out 300cfm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

condensation only occurs when moist warm air like your breath hits a cold surace like a pint glass

outside air cold moist, inside case warm. should be fine, i hope so :D

have some sort of duct covering the tube outside and make sure its pointing downwards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement