Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tribes & Quake2

Options
  • 22-04-1999 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭

ok, these servers run on the same box. In order for Tribes to get a second server the Q2 lads agreeded that 2 of our servers, CTF & RA2 should be taken down.

You guys aren't using Tribes2, so its just a waste of resources on the server. either use the damn thing or give it up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Brit

Agreed. Make the second IGN server public, but withold the right to password is on nights that matches are played or practices required.

--Brit--

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

WAh ! brit just coz the phone rang dosen't mean ya can squash in a quick posting ;P

neway heres my 2 bits...

I think Tribes Server 2 should be visible on the master server list cos No1 is full almost all the time, so when its not booked for matches or training its open to all and youse could test out some new maps / mods on it smile.gif .

Call it IGN bookable so when ppl want to have training or a match, whatever! an admin clears the server / password locks it and only the ppl supposed to be playing get the PW... (no messers joining and screwing around)

Its a waste having it sit there..

YuM.

[This message has been edited by YuM (edited 22-04-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jaguar

I totally agree with yum.

server 2 should be a platform for tribal
    conflicts when neccesary, but when not it should be public.

"Do or Die"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭ChungKing

I fully agree - I just sent a mail to YuM this morning saying that we have to get more people on server2 ; word of mouth has proved impractical and the fact that server1 is always full in the evenings means there are a lot of players about.

If we want Tribes to grow, we can't restrict it; by restricting it we only limit its longevity.

Being able to book server2 for practice/training/matches would be ideal.

The quality of play on server1 has improved significantly. LOTS of new people, and many of them good. Muppets can be kicked, newbies helped.

Make it So, Mr Sulu. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ChungKing (edited 22-04-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

pointing out the inevitable....

1 full tribes server = bad lag

2 full tribes servers = lag twice as bad..

Is it not rather unplayable even now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

With the new monster machines being introduced in the next couple of weeks (according to Slosh) I think the issue of server lag will be significantly reduced (until we load the poor things down with even MORE games smile.gif ).

We NEED two Tribes servers, AT LEAST. If that means we have to make them both public, then so be it. I think the Q2 guys can survive without all of the six servers they've been used to in the past - it's time IGN diversified more from the standard Quake/Quake2.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

here here brother teeth smile.gif

time the gaming world woke up and realised that there is more to life than quake

PS is ANY quake or quake 2 server as busy as Tribes IGN 1 - I doubt it....

just wait until quake 3 - likely to be THE monster smash of 99, IMO

sounds like your just waiting to make the switch..........

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

I was wondering about server usage yesterday (see admin board) It'd be very intresting of there was some..

YuM

• Advertisement

I love IGN and all but that would never tell us the quake servers usage, quake 2 has 4 servers left k, quake has 6 I think.......we have 2 and thats it, half life dont have one ect. Who is gonna suffer when Q3A comes out, betcha its us.

When ign 2 goes publik it will be full at peak times as the game has just been released.

I would like to bet that most of the quake servers are unused most of the time.

not waiting to make the switch, but I will definitely try it out - quake's what got me into all this and iD have consistently beaten the competition with innovation and cool stuff. Unreal? bah. Sin? bah. Halflife multi? well I loved the halflife weapons (coolest machine gun/grenade launcher I've seen), but nothing exciting was happening on the multi-scene.

Nothing really beats tribes these days & I don't see a tribes-beating team game coming along unless the new halflife/team fortress due out this summer does. I don't see much teamplay from quake3 (at least initially), but who knows?

I decided to stick with tribes & not check out team fortress classic (got to decide where to spend my online-time smile.gif.

As you know I'm a big fan of online gaming, so I'm always looking forward to new stuff smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

well Q2 server usage of the 4 we've got is quite high, the Q2 servers are not however on any master servers, so its mostly Irish players or UK lads we've told about them. most evenings either q2 clans are practicing on war2 (HIV on tues & thurs) and pickup games running on war1. duel is near impossible to get on and ffa gets decent usage too. We don't need anymore servers, but we can't do with less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

emmm,

Is tribes even on sale here yet?

If not, then why is NoG so ****ed? Maybe there are only enough people to fill one server at the moment. But you'll need the second server when the game comes out so it would be very short sighted and rather silly to shut it down.

Maybe a temporary shutdown until the release.

As for one server being stuffed full and the other empty... well, which would you prefer, a game with only four people or a game with eight people? All very well saying 'Go and use the other server', but that's just going to turn the games on both servers into an average session rather than a good battle.

My .02 euros

Hah! I don't even play tribes yet (I've only actually SEEN it once!) and already I'm arguing!

smile.gif

Tribes seems to foment arguing smile.gif

If server 2 is listed publically, it will fill up no problems.

I think the email for a password idea is good, but then how will people know that they can get the password by emailing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dupre

Stick it up somewhere on IGN, maybe have it as message of the day on the other non-password protected tribes server too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dupre

^
    Um - not the password, but the information that there is a password and where to get it smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Go study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

again i say it

we neeeeeddd an IRC room somewhere (anywhere!)

we can meet up for games / discussions and we can give out passwords to people we want

cmon wise up smile.gif

DO IT THEN SEP

If you need admins Myself, Teeth and Brit do IGN, Id also recomend Chung and Yum and Your fine self

You are the IRC reg - I presume you know how - gis a mail if you need a hand

The Vaggabond of the Western World
    Electric Mayhem Tribe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭KinDreD

GIVE US BACK OUR QUAKE2 SERVERS AND **** OFF WITH YE'RE FAEG TRIBES......!!!!!!!..!!!!!!!.........!!!!!!!!!!...:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭SS 01 Ripper

yada yada yada..
    give us another tribes server ( a third one) from quake 2 server =PPPP

Advertisement