Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kung Fu in Cork

• 23-07-2004 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

I know that UCC have a small Kung Fu club...

Apart from that, are there any other places where it is taught?
    I'd appreciate the information.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Perhaps you could contact the Irish Martial Arts Comission to see if they know of any Kung-Fu Clubs in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭iceman_2001_ie

I will.

Cheers :)

I'll post any info I get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

rock steps in Blarney street tue and thu evenings
    think about 7-ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

the Fu Lung Chuan school is in UCC Mon and Wed

http://www.ucc.ie/students/socs/kungfu/index.htm

it used to be in the rock steps on blarney street?

i guess it still is??

also look for john o'riordan! i don't seem to have his site in my bookmarks anymore?? but try to google him! he trains in douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Andrew_M

rock steps in Blarney street tue and thu evenings
    think about 7-ish

Hmmm Paul, 3 guesses who the norrie rugger is, as i only know one norrie rugger that would know about that Kung Fu Club

And yeah its still there alright...

iceman_2001_ie, pm me if you want any details, i trained there for a few years, so ive a fairly good idea what its like

• Advertisement

pma-ire wrote:
    also look for john o'riordan! i don't seem to have his site in my bookmarks anymore?? but try to google him! he trains in douglas.

this is john o'riordans site!

http://www.itswaireland.com/

though i have been told by other people that he is a bit slow to respond to emails??

try and get your hands on Irish Fighter! he's always got an ad in there!

i will try to find one around the house here and let you know his number!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dmcpub

Hi
    Training is on Tues and Thurs at 7 in the Rock steps, youre more than welcome to pop up for a chat and a look
    Damien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

I wouldn't bother with IMAC to be honest - John O' Riordan is the first name that springs to mind in Cork as others have said.

Andrew_M wrote:
    Hmmm Paul, 3 guesses who the norrie rugger is, as i only know one norrie rugger that would know about that Kung Fu Club

And yeah its still there alright...

iceman_2001_ie, pm me if you want any details, i trained there for a few years, so ive a fairly good idea what its like

you only need one guess.
    looking for a school up here in Dublin at the moment

you only need one guess.
    looking for a school up here in Dublin at the moment
    Is it Ian??

Well I should bet your a bit spoilt for choice up there man!!

• Advertisement

pma-ire wrote:
    Is it Ian??

Well I should bet your a bit spoilt for choice up there man!!

got it in the one

not too good actually. loads of various martial arts and a few kung fu schools, two look inviting so will give them a shot in the next few weeks

got it in the one
    How do! :D
    not too good actually. loads of various martial arts and a few kung fu schools, two look inviting so will give them a shot in the next few weeks
    Ya!

Have a lash!

You never know what you might learn??!!! :D

Good luck man!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tallent

Hi,
    i'm currently trying to find dublin kung fu school too. What were the ones you decided on? Can you provide details?

Paul Moran wrote:
    Hello there,

You are more than welcome to come and see what we do, we offer a free trail week so you have an idea of what we cover?

check out our site(s)
    local http://www.ymaa.ie
    international http://www.ymaaschool.com

Repy tp me here if you have queries or need more info!

Talk tou you later,
    Paul Moran

got this from one guy few days ago

the other 1 and one new are in my work e-mail so will post the details once i go back to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Paul has a bit of everything under his roof as well as the Kung Fu so I'd go there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jimbon

Hello everyone,
    About a year or so ago i came across a number for Xing Yi classes in cork. I called the number and then found there website. I decided at the time not to do it as i wanted private lessons and couldn't afford it. I am now trying to find them again so i can take up the lessons but i cant find they're website anywhere. Does anyone have any idea about this???? As far as i remember they were an Asian couple, the husband thought Xing Yi and the wife thought Tai chi, I THINK! I also remember them telling me that they done the lessons somewhere close to the Opera house. If anyone has any idea of who they are or of anyone else who teaches Xing yi then please PM me or reply here.
    Thank you
    Jamie

I did'int know Xing Yi was being taught in Cork?? They may be in the Olympic Karate club on Shandon street?? Or the middle parish hall on Gratton Street??
    jimbon wrote:
    Hello everyone,
    About a year or so ago i came across a number for Xing Yi classes in cork. I called the number and then found there website. I decided at the time not to do it as i wanted private lessons and couldn't afford it. I am now trying to find them again so i can take up the lessons but i cant find they're website anywhere. Does anyone have any idea about this???? As far as i remember they were an Asian couple, the husband thought Xing Yi and the wife thought Tai chi, I THINK! I also remember them telling me that they done the lessons somewhere close to the Opera house. If anyone has any idea of who they are or of anyone else who teaches Xing yi then please PM me or reply here.
    Thank you
    Jamie

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Andrew_M

I know the Xing Yi guy you're on about, he used to train in Fitzgeralds Park, and ran a class in UCC aswell, a friend of mine trained with him for awhile, ill see if i can find some contact details for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jimbon

Hi andrew,
    That sounds like the guy alright. I do remember that his website had something to do with UCC. If he is still around and if you can get me some contact details i would be greatfull
    cheers
    Jamie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wingchuner

Sifu John O'Riordans club in cork,

www.wingchunireland.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Marcelo Archanjo

I am teaching kung fu at K2C Martial Arts & Fitness Centre (http://www.k2c.ie).
    Classes at Tuesday (19:30) and Thrusday (20:30)
    I teach a southern style of kung fu called Fei Hok Phai. Its very similar to Hung Gar and was created in Brazil in 1968 by a Cantonese Chinese immigrant called Chiu Ping Lok.
    There are more information about my kung fu classes at my web site.

http://www.archanjo.org

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭krautmick

I have two boys, aged 8 and 7, who are in my ears all the time about wanting to learn Kung Fu. However any research into Kung Fu in Cork I have done has only unearthed sporadic classes for adults. There seems to be nothing there for for kids, or is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Michelle BDA

Try K2C in Blackpool, Cork

Hello Krautmik,

I am teaching Kung Fu at K2C Martial Arts & Fitness Centre (www.k2c.com), but it is not a class for kids .. Thrusdays at 20:30 .. :-(
    But, if they are really interested in Kung Fu, we can arrange a timetable for a Kung Fu class for kids .. :-)
    September would be great to start a new class only for kids ..
    if they have other friends also interested in Kung Fu, even better .. 5 is a good number to start a kid's class
    Please, take a look at my website at www.archanjo.org and show the videos to your kids .. to arrange date and hour for the class, send me an e-mail info@archanjo.org

Thank you

Best regards

krautmick wrote: »
    I have two boys, aged 8 and 7, who are in my ears all the time about wanting to learn Kung Fu. However any research into Kung Fu in Cork I have done has only unearthed sporadic classes for adults. There seems to be nothing there for for kids, or is there?

Kung Fu Classes for Kids at K2C Martial Arts & Fitness Centre ..
    Tuesdays at 17:00 ..
    K2C is located at North Point Business Park, Commons Road, Blackpool, Cork City ..
    086 158 0560
    [URL="tel:353861580560"]www.k2c.ie[/URL]
    More information about kung fu at www.archanjo.org

I am also teaching a kung fu class at Cork City Centre, at the Salsango Dance Studio ( http://www.dancetillyoudrop.net/ ) ...
    Kung Fu: Mondays & Wednesdays 17:00
    Abbott's Lane, Cork City Centre

Directions: Off North Mall, besides 2020 Fine Art Gallery,
    across the river from The Gate Mutiplex Cinema
    Drop-in Class €10,00 / 10 Class-Package €80,00
    mobile: 086 397 9832

Advertisement