Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson Vs Nokia

Options
  • 23-07-2004 1:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Many people will now have used both and just wondering in general which phone you prefer overall , style , looks , useabilty , service , coverage , functionality etc ......

As with most people myself included Nokia has always been first choice until recently when i decided to go for an SE phone instead.

I did not regret it and would find it hard to return to using a Nokia phone .

Once I started playing around with it, I really liked the interface Compared to some of Nokia's other rivals the screen made navigation very easy. Its also incrediably user freindly and easy to control.

The phones themselves also look very syslish much more so than some of Nokia lastest models.

I've read a lot of problems with SE phones, namely the reception. The reception i personally found was good, despite SE's reputation.

Lastest battle will be between the K700 and the 6230

Having used both for a short period of time they appear to be very similar, though personally I prefer the styling of the K700. Its looks amazing but having only used them breifly i can't comment in depth on the quailties of each phone and which is better .

It took Sony-Ericsson to show people that another manufacturer can make a good phone and not style it like a block.

Nokia's problem is probably its cockiness since it's the market leader. More and more people want something different in mobile phones. SE are providing this and people are responding to it.

BTW .. My next mobile purchase will most likely be a K700 it is just too dam sexy! ;)

So make your case Nokia or SE ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its certainly an interesting argument but is always one that decends into petty arguments on other forums... So I will say my points and leave it at that...

I agree with you.. On paper Sony Ericsson have it all.. They T610 compared to competing models like the Nokia 6610 was pretty much no contest on paper.. The phones feature list was far superior and the styling was also far better.. This is what drove me to buy the T610 when it was released on Vodafone..

After 6 months or so the phone really pissed me off however. I then got a Nokia 7210 as a free replacement and I was far far happier with this phone overall... Evem though the 7210 was a lesser phone, the GUI was far more intuitive and was a pleassure to use. The SE just had to many quirks for my liking and it drove me insane, specifically the text input...

So to the current generation of phones.. Once again they seem to be better on paper but I will pass again.. The P900/910 is the only device I could pick from the SE range that Nokia cannot compete with and I personally think this is because Nokia have not tried to compete with it..

The final nail in the coffin for the T610 however was the reception. In place where I could make and rec calls on a Nokia I could not with an SE. Being able to get reception on a mobile is like me being able to breath...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

I was a Nokia user for years until I made the big leap over to SE when I got a T610. I don't think I'd ever go back to Nokia now. They'd have to come up with something really special. IMO Nokia phones tend to be overpriced and lack many of the features (such as bluetooth) that SE had been offering as far back as the T68.

It's probably true that most people's first phone was a Nokia and they got used to the Nokia interface and Nokia texting etc, which made them 'slaves' to Nokia.

My current phone is the K700 which I'm really happy with. So go on, give SE a go and you'll never go back to Nokia again.....(except jesus_that_gre that is ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, I prefer SE as well. I have a T610 which was working fine for about a year but now its shagged :( - gets bugger all reception, impossible to talk on it. So i'm using a 2nd-hand T68i now.

I think my T610 is still under warranty - anyone know where I could get it fixed? (was bought on Ebay from the UK)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Hay Stephen , Where U based . Sigma Wireless( Fonefix) look after warranty on SE . You get 15 months from date of manafacture ..

based in Kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

late last year I got a P900. It was a lovely phone, great design and all that but the battery and reception were an awful let down. I'd get max 8 hours out of a fully charged battery and as previously said, had a problem with reception where I know I would have gotten signal with any of my past nokias. Sent it back and got a 6600 instead. Apart from the speed of the menu, im happy with the change.

I get (got) about 6 days out of a full charge on the T610. I get 8 days on the T68i - but then that has a much smaller screen and not as many features etc.

Originally posted by Stephen
    I get (got) about 6 days out of a full charge on the T610. I get 8 days on the T68i - but then that has a much smaller screen and not as many features etc.

6 days.. thats bordering on a miracle... Most I ever got was 3 days and that was very very light use..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

sharkman where abouts is that company based? yep theyre great phones but the reception and the image storing problem is a big let down

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

they are in Finglas .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by su_dios
    where abouts is that company based?

here's a link to thier site for further info

BrianG

posted my T610 to them on saturday. Note that their site is a bit out of date - it says you can get freepost fonefix envelopes from An Post, but they are no longer free - they now cost €7.50 but this is SDS delivery - so if anything happens to it you should be covered.

Originally posted by Stephen
    posted my T610 to them on saturday. Note that their site is a bit out of date - it says you can get freepost fonefix envelopes from An Post, but they are no longer free - they now cost €7.50 but this is SDS delivery - so if anything happens to it you should be covered.

you can still send it for free yourself in your own envelope marking it 'freepost' (although i'd always go the insured route)

there used to be a free envlope from the post office too but they started charging for it a good while back, they did update the 'How to use the service page' though (unless they didn't update it on another page?)...

Alternatively for a small fee you can send it to us by insured, next day delivery. Simply ask for a fonefix envelop at your nearest participating post office.

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

Nokia 6600 Vrs SE K700i

Kinda got forced into using the K700i after my 6600 got flashed (see: Fried). Hated the thing to start with as I was so used to the Nokia. Have to say though, it *is* very good and it's really growing on me.
    Haven't gone into all the menus yet, but once you get over the "it's not a Nokia" phase it's quite usable too.
    Even has a light for the camera! :)

Originally posted by manchine
    Nokia 6600 Vrs SE K700i

Kinda got forced into using the K700i after my 6600 got flashed (see: Fried). Hated the thing to start with as I was so used to the Nokia. Have to say though, it *is* very good and it's really growing on me.
    Haven't gone into all the menus yet, but once you get over the "it's not a Nokia" phase it's quite usable too.
    Even has a light for the camera! :)

Do you not find their OS to be a complete pain in the arse compared to the Symbian OS on your 6600?? That was my main problem with the T610 compared to my much loved 7650...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sinner_Rez

I'm on the SE Z600 and I have to say that I find it very easy to use and much more reliable than any other phone I've ever had. Also it makes a very satisfactory click when you open and close it.

Nokia phones aren't as good a quality as SE phones. They tend to start switching themselves off after a time and the menus are very annoying too. They do get better reception sometimes but thats cause they use a higher freq. emitter and thats what cause the microwaving of your grey matter. So Nokias are worse for that.

SE are gaining in market share and its no surprise really as they are the nicer phone. But now Sagem and Samsung are breaking into the Irish market aswell and Samsung have some really great phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

Do you not find their OS to be a complete pain in the arse compared to the Symbian OS on your 6600?? That was my main problem with the T610 compared to my much loved 7650...

Most of the problems with the OS on the T610 such as the menu's hanging and bad response times have been fixed with the K700i .
    SE are gaining in market share and its no surprise really as they are the nicer phone. But now Sagem and Samsung are breaking into the Irish market aswell and Samsung have some really great phones.

Agreed the are getting better but i think they still have a long way to go before i would consider buying one.

Originally posted by Doublezero8
    Most of the problems with the OS on the T610 such as the menu's hanging and bad response times have been fixed with the K700i .

Have you used the T610, 7650, 6600 and K700i for long enought to be sure of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

I speaking in relation to the T610 against the K700i specifically as i know this is were your experince of SE has been soured ;)

Used both long enough to know huge improvments have been made. Also if you read a few of the reviews in relation to the k700i most of them point to how much the OS has improved.

Originally posted by Sinner_Rez

Agreed, everyone is catching up on Nokia... The time it has taken them to catch up though is amazing... Up until 12/18 months ago Nokia were considered untouchable and were well on their way to meeting their target of 40% of the market.. Now they have dropped below 30%...

This has happened at the point where GSM has reached its peak handset wise.. Early on, Nokia were a fair bit ahead in terms of design and features. They were the first to release handsets without arials, had extremely long battery lives, the design appealed to specific markets and their UI was especially good. They literally were 2 or 3 years ahead when the 3210 and 3310 first came out..

I have a feeling the same may happen with the pending widespread launch of 3G in Europe.. The main problems with 3G phones were seen to be the general size and battery life. With the 7600 and 6630 Nokia seems to have cracked both issues early on while the other manufacturers seem to be releasing larger handsets with similar or worse battery life... Maybe the reason for Nokia poor showing lately with GSM handsets is to do with a re-alignment of R&D to UMTS handsets?

Its just speculation but the 6630 seems to be a fair bit more advanced than alot of alternatives.. I personally think Motorola will start to become more and more popular in coming years.. Samsung have publicly stated they intend to take over from Nokia within the next few years.. SE seem to be making some positive moves too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭oakers

I moved to a Z600 a few months ago and I have to admit it was a shakey transfer. Having said that I wouldn't go back to a Nokia!

I am however trying to get my grubby little mits on a SE K700i which don't seem to be out over here! If anyone has any ideas where I can get one could you PM me?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

for years now....

5110, 3210 and now successive 6510s

and the build quality has gone way down as has the quality of the software. Now, this may be a relection of an increase in complexity but the 6510 is a plague. Intermittent lock ups, shut downs, the battery life is completely unpredictable etc.

I used a T610 for a week a couple of months ago and I had no problems. It seemed reliable, the menu system was quite intuitive and it looked way better :)

So, I'm pretty sure my next phone will be a SE.

Now if I could just raise the cash for one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭manchine

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre

Yes and no.
    One of the main gripes I have with SE phones is the "extra-click" problem - everything takes an extra click.
    Take for example sending a text message to more than one person. The 6600 (and 7650, I liked it too), lets you scroll through your phonebook and simply mark all the names you want to be included. With the K700i you have to add them all separately.

On paper they all do the same things, but it's little differences like this that matter IMHO.
    If you stick with it, it becomes second nature quite quickly. Trouble is, could you be @rsed to stick with it?
    Initially I'd happily have dropped it in the toilet, but now (despite all the extra clicks) I might have to think about it a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Changed from a Nokia 6100 to a SE T610 ....

Oh how sorry I was! :( Aside from the fact that the joystick control - especially when clicking rather than scrolling - was a pain to use, text input was awkward, and it would freeze up a lot for a minute or two..even when doing nothing!

Not to mention that the reception was terrible..admittedly the reception in my house ain't great anyway, but on the T610 I couldn't get anything at all in the sitting room.

About the ONLY plus was that the camera was ok.

Anyway, got rid of it (less than 2 weeks later!), got myself a Nokia 6310i (had one before & it's one of the best they have I think - agree with others that the styling on the newer models leaves a lot to be desired) and haven't looked back since.

Originally posted by manchine
    Yes and no.
    One of the main gripes I have with SE phones is the "extra-click" problem - everything takes an extra click.
    Take for example sending a text message to more than one person. The 6600 (and 7650, I liked it too), lets you scroll through your phonebook and simply mark all the names you want to be included. With the K700i you have to add them all separately.

On paper they all do the same things, but it's little differences like this that matter IMHO.
    If you stick with it, it becomes second nature quite quickly. Trouble is, could you be @rsed to stick with it?
    Initially I'd happily have dropped it in the toilet, but now (despite all the extra clicks) I might have to think about it a bit more.

I used to bitch about having to do more on the SE to do simple tasks like send a message.. This can be fixed pretty easily but they don't seem to want to address it..

not sure i remember things quite like some of the 'history' (opinion) mentioned previously

when Eircsson released the R520 (2001) it packed so many features Nokia were still playing catch-up over a year later until the 6310i was released (with worse Bluetooth and no E-mail client) - highlighting it's capabilities / quality is the fact the R520m is still selling well being eXpansys' best ever selling phone!

then the T68 came out with the first colour screen available to us crammed into an amazingly small unit... while Nokia stayed gray...

Eircsson's accessories were also impressive... with interchangeable Clip-On attachments like their MP3 player, Keyboard, Radio, Cameras... all enabled by their connector the same one used for years... something Nokia only implemented with their more recent Pop-Port interface

now moving into the Sony Ericsson era - things are picking up for them... and more competition is very welcome

Nokia make some great handsets too and the company has had a lot of achievements and innovations, so rather than a brand comparison like (Sony) Ericsson Vs Nokia, i tend to focus on the device itself and my requirements to see what fits...

BrianG

Advertisement