Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour Team Cars

Options
  • 23-07-2004 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

I noticed that since the time trial up D'Huez none of the teams were dirving the Official cars ie Skodas. They all seemed to be driving cars that sponsor the individual teams.
    USP were in Subarus. Were the Skodas not able for the first category climbs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I saw some Volvos. For such a job, I can't think of anything better.

I remember one of the Eurosport commentators saying that the hills were originally categorised by the gear a car could drive up it in. They have to re-categorise the hills this year for the skodas: cat 2 -> cat 1, cat 3-> cat 2, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Fiat used always do the Tour cars, but the teams afaik used there own sponsored cars for obvious reasons. I'm not sure I'd ever take teh oppurtunity to have aride in one of them though. as much interest as I'd have, I'd say the stink after 9 hrs driving around the french alps with no break is only unreal :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

It's a pity, last year the Tour people were driving Alfa 166s, which looked cool on television.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The funny thing is that all the teams started out the tour in Skodas.
    I remember Duffield saying a few years ago that all the cars needed new brakes and clutches from all the abuse. Maybe the Skodas just couldn't cope with the abuse they were getting
    Fiat and Alfa are the same company as far as I know.

Advertisement