Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bikers Pulled

Options
  • 23-07-2004 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭

Cops seem'd to be pulling bikers everywhere this morning around the city center.
    Anyone here pulled or know what it was all about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I saw that! I presumed it was because the chap I saw wasn't wearing a full face helmet. But then noticed there were 2 others pulled up as well waiting there turn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Coppers pulling bikers..

Sorry but it's very tempting to make an immature joke.

They are more than likely doing one of their traffic blitz's, either that or near teh end of teh month and targets have to be met, and all will be fine in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Saw cops in Cork with a string of bikers pulled over the other day. Looked like they were checking the cans on a couple of them, but I've never known them to bother with stuff like that before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 AidoX

Wonder that its all about, maybe the are clamping down on bikes in bus lanes which will be a pitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I too saw a number of bikers/mopeders pulled up this morning on the N11 near Donnybrook.

Perhaps it is a bus lane thing?

davej

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Saw a bunch of them pulled in fairview this morning, all from the bus lane (which is only right). The Garda wearing the leathers with a cap just had an air of the blue oyster bar about him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭BUMP!

Saw a bunch of them pulled in fairview this morning, all from the bus lane (which is only right).
    Why? Its not like they're holding anyone up. Leave em off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

That's more or less what I thought, Pitty!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

They were just asking to see tax disc and licence.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by BUMP!

Si I can do it in a car if the bus lane is empty then? Cool.

• Advertisement

It's usually people in cars that have a problem with bikes in bus lanes.
    Just green eye'd monsters.
    Bikes don't congest bus lanes like cars would if they used them.
    Cops used to turn a blind eye to this, I have often driven past them in the bus lane and was not stopped......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Actually, I'm all for allowing bikes in the bus lane; do it today Dublin City Council.
    Really, I think it's a stupid law.
    It's the bastards in cars who use it that annoy the bejeesus out of me.

But, bikes are not allowed in the bus lanes by law, unfortunately, so if you can break the law "because it's alright, really." then so can I.

Ahh the bus lane!! I can't help singing "Life in the bus laaaaaaaaane"(sung to the tune of Life in the fast lane) when i'm driving in one!! Ahhhhhhhh :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 AidoX

MAG are pushing for bikers to use bus lanes same as it is out in Oz.

The whole idea is begin tested up north at the moment for 4 months (or something like that). I read that on MAG Ireland.

I drive a car and ride a bike (not at the same time), bike is much better for getting around the city, to work etc

My only pet hate about this country is road tax!! its a rip of roads a ****e. Should be more like the UK tax system agian dont know specifics off hand but its cheaper

Luckly they dont class bikes by engine cc, ****e shouldnt have said that in case they are watching!!

Originally posted by BUMP!

Because they're called bus lanes... for buses, they're not called bus and bike lanes

Originally posted by iMax
    Because they're called bus lanes... for buses, they're not called bus and bike lanes

Well they're not called Bus+Taxi+Bicycle lanes and taxis and bicycles can use them!! :D

Cyclists are allowed to use them!!!
    Should they be called buy and cyclist lanes?
    Then they would fit in to your perfect world:D

damn, beat me to it!
    Gotta learn how to type.

Aww sorry Dan... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Not allowing bikes in bus lanes is just plain stupid. IT would be safer for the motorbikes, and it wouldn't hold up traffic. I would also reduce bikers weaving through traffic and passing you on both sides. I wonder would it cause accidents with cyclists though. Somehow I doubt it.

Not all rules make sense. Just like 24 hr bus lanes on a route that doesn't have buses 24hr

• Advertisement

Here here!

Originally posted by tk123
    Well they're not called Bus+Taxi+Bicycle lanes and taxis and bicycles can use them!! :D

But legislation provided for public service vehicles (Buses & Taxis) to use them & bicycles as a matter of safety...

Legislation didn't allow for motorbikes to use them, therefore bikers are breaking the laws by doing so.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Not allowing bikes in bus lanes is just plain stupid. IT would be safer for the motorbikes, and it wouldn't hold up traffic. I would also reduce bikers weaving through traffic and passing you on both sides. I wonder would it cause accidents with cyclists though. Somehow I doubt it.

By bikers weaving through traffic & passing on both sides (both illegal BTW), I somehow doubt bikers are primarily concerned with safety...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭krinDar

By bikers weaving through traffic & passing on both sides (both illegal BTW), I somehow doubt bikers are primarily concerned with safety...

<sarcasm> Wow, you mean, if you are on a motorcycle you are never allowed overtake someone ? </sarcasm>

The Rules of the Road documents the occasions on which you can pass vehicles on both sides. This does not become invalid for any reason.

That said if it is done in a dangerous manner you could be prosecuted for careless/dangerous driving.

As in almost everything else, there are all sorts of motorcyclists; good, bad, stupid, dangerous etc.
    The problem is the bad ones stick in your mind more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

I somehow doubt bikers are primarily concerned with safety...

?
    As the most vulnerable road users we tend to be more safety conscious than most car drivers.
    I think too much time in traffic jams watching bikes filter past has soured you iMax.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Legislation didn't allow for motorbikes to use them, therefore bikers are breaking the laws by doing so.
    Legislation did allow for bikers to use them, but only when stated. The bus lane down Dawson (?) Street being the good example. Motorcyclists are allowed turn left onto college green along with the taxis, buses and cyclists.
    By bikers weaving through traffic & passing on both sides (both illegal BTW), I somehow doubt bikers are primarily concerned with safety... [/B]
    Because all bikers weave and overtake on the left. :rolleyes: A lot do, and give a bad name to the rest of us.
    Known as filtering, overtaking on the right and driving between traffic lanes is both legal and perfectly safe when practiced sensibly.

But legislation provided for public service vehicles (Buses & Taxis) to use them & bicycles as a matter of safety...

Personally anything that reduces, the odds of me hitting one I'm all for.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When knocked down by a motorist, what is the first thing said motorist will say to the biker?
    "Sorry, I didn't see you"

Most motorbike related incidents, are usually caused by a car driver not looking around them properly and subsequently pulling left or right.
    Bikes would be better off being legally allowed in the bus lanes and it is stupid of our legislators not to allow this.

Originally posted by kbannon
    When knocked down by a motorist, what is the first thing said motorist will say to the biker?
    "Sorry, I didn't see you"

Most motorbike related incidents, are usually caused by a car driver not looking around them properly and subsequently pulling left or right.
    Bikes would be better off being legally allowed in the bus lanes and it is stupid of our legislators not to allow this.

Well that might be true its impossible to watch 360 around a car all at the same time. So if you have to look both sides of the car because bikes and cyclists are passing you both sides, in the split second it take to lok one side and the other, a bike can be on top of you. Thats not making an excuse, thats just the reality of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

What, like it's a car driver's fault when someone's riding between two lanes of traffic in their blind spot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    What, like it's a car driver's fault when someone's riding between two lanes of traffic in their blind spot?
    Legally, yes.
    Although it's never black and white. Both parties in any crash can learn a lesson to avoid it happening again, regardless of who's to blame.

Bikers only legally have to follow the same safety rules as other vehicles, but they really do have a duty to heir own safety to ensure that they avoid things like driving in blind spots, sudden overtaking, as well as maintaining observation for motorists who just aren't watching.
    Well that might be true its impossible to watch 360 around a car all at the same time. So if you have to look both sides of the car because bikes and cyclists are passing you both sides, in the split second it take to lok one side and the other, a bike can be on top of you. Thats not making an excuse, thats just the reality of it.
    Common sense would dictate that you look in the mirror on the side that you're turning to last, so that your information is as fresh as possible.
    So for a left turn, look in your left side mirror, indicate, rear-view mirror, right side mirror, left side mirror, look over your left shoulder, and go. Shouldn't take more then 2-3 seconds after indicating. There should be no more than half a second between looking in your left mirror and turning. In the looking over your shoulder and then moving, should be close to instantaneous, but prepared to not go if there's something there. If you don't go, you return to the step after you indicate.

Reverse for right-hand turn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement