Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New minister for Communications

Options
  • 23-07-2004 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

Since it seems likely that Dermot Ahern will be moving to Foreign affairs does anyone have any opinions on who might be a good replacement for him?

Apparently Martin Cullen might be the one whos being looked at as the main candidate for the position.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

there all as useful as a choclate teapot and will do nothing of any use just like the rest

your not bertie in disguise fishing for ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm Cullen only does a bit of work when theres a launch to be done with some Irish models to drape around him. Apart from that he's about as useful as a Fridge to Eskimo's !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Oh jesus. Well Dermot deserves a promotion I guess. He was in all sincerity the best Communications Minister so far. He kicked some ass when he started. Let's hope someone as good or better takes over.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Except for the line rental mess; i think Dermot did a good job. Definetly one of the more competent ministers in office. Just hoping the person that replaces him isn't going to be all talk; no action and clueless :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by machalla
    Apparently Martin Cullen might be the one whos being looked at as the main candidate for the position.
    Jesus help us. O'Rourke would look like a beatified Hawking next to Cullen.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Its Ahern for the next few months. Ask for that meeting Adam :)

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by machalla
    Cullen doesn't even know how to use a mobile phone (at least that was his excuse for refusing to talk to the media whenever they wanted him to talk to them about "electronic" voting).

We can all give up an go home if Cullen get's the post - the guy's a total and utter gob****e. And forget about any grass roots group having any input or influence - he won't take advice from anyone that he isn't paying to tell him exactly what he wants to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

So we will be sorry to lose Dermot Ahern . :ninja:

Cullen would be a real disaster all right , Dempsey another for exactly the same reasons. Herr Flick could be punted into Comms if Harney gets Justice ......ouch !

Hanafin may be the best of a bad lot in terms of undderstanding some of the issues , she is due to be promoted to full minister as are one or even both Lenihans ....at least they can listen unlike their auntie .

Outside shots are O Cuiv and Coughlan .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Hmmmmm....

This could go downhill fast!

I agree with Muck, get a meeting organised and see what standing orders Dermot is leaving behind specifically instructions to COMREG, a new minister won't rush to change them because if it works he or she gets the cudos and if it fails they can blame the outgoing Minister

John

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

was suggesting that Dick Roche may be the man for the job. He comes across as an arrogant assh*le but I've no idea how technically competent he is, or what kind of viewpoint he would take on Eircom.

As for Dermo, he started off making all of the right noises, but after that sickening appearance on Agenda where he acted as an Eircom cheerleader I lost any respect I might have had for him.

M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

We may be sorry to loose Dermot but I assure you he won't be sorry to loose the post. Telecoms is the only aspect of it that gives him any excitement at all.

Harney is packing R&D in her brief case and taking it off to education with her. McDowell is stayiing where he is.

Dermot is effectively competing with John O'Donoghue and Micheal Martin for Foreign Affairs. My guess is he will loose to O'Donoghue.

Seamus Brennan will probably get shifted from Transport (he has become too entrenched to make the FF style compromises neccessary to land the balls he has bounced.)

So my prediction is he will go to a slimmed down Enterprise and Employment and Dermot will be given Transport.

So where does that leave us? I must say Muck I tend to agree with you. Hanifin might be the preferred solution. Other possibilities would be Willy O'Dea or Dick Roche.

If I were Bertie though I'd give Roche tourism and O'Dea defence. Which only leaves me to decide whether I give Michael Martin Ag or leave him in Health. Of course if he does leave Health maybe Hanifin would be the obvious person to replace him? Oh decisions decisions....

Mods maybe this thread should be moved to politics...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Originally posted by Mr_Man
    As for Dermo, he started off making all of the right noises, but after that sickening appearance on Agenda where he acted as an Eircom cheerleader I lost any respect I might have had for him.

Go with your mouse over the Dermot pictures and you'll find out that Dermot has a special message for you, Mister Man.

P.

Advertisement