Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Available on 71% of lines in Cork

Options
  • 23-07-2004 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Ad in the Money And Jobs section of the Irish Examiner claims this:

"Eircom Broadband is now Available on 71% of lines in Cork"

Can anyone tell me if this is true or false ? I'm thinking it's false so how do I go about disproving it and talking to the Advertising Standards People ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

And in today's ENN:

The paper also reports that just 3 percent of Irish homes use broadband services, according to a study by Amarach. Almost one-quarter of respondents in a survey of 1,000 people said that broadband was still too expensive, or that they would not use the Internet frequently enough to justify signing up for the service.

Thirty-six percent of all Irish homes now have access to the Internet, said Amarach, an increase of 4 percent in the past 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by damien.m

Can anyone tell me if this is true or false ? I'm thinking it's false so how do I go about disproving it and talking to the Advertising Standards People ?
    It probably means that the exchanges that have been DSL enabled in Cork cover 71% of the lines in Cork.

But when it comes down to it, the only people who know how many lines pass or fail the test are Eircom, and they are not required to release that information to the public, so there is no way to disprove it, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

BT already have broadband available to 78% of households across Northern Ireland.

Eircom boast about reaching an availability of 71% of our second largest city (and they are probably exaggerating)

Jaysus wept, that says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Originally posted by damien.m

Damien, I've made a complaint on the 7th July about an Eircom ad with a similar context, where they boast about now having 1 million broadband lines, and thus offering bb to the vast majority of their customers.

I complained that the ad was misleading by exaggeration, as Eircom should not have claimed that the 1 million lines they have on bb enabled exchanges are bb enabled lines.

ASAI informed me they were following up the complaint. In theory Eircom would now have to state to the ASAI how the story with their figures really is.

While the ASAI are generally a lame duck, we should still use them whenever possible. It is easy enough to make a short complaint from the form on there website: http://www.asai.ie

P.

Advertisement