Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Kerry wins...

Options
  • 23-07-2004 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

...what do you think his first moves regarding foreign policy should be to regain the trust and admiration of the world community that America once enjoyed - and that George W. Bush completedly destroyed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Originally posted by ionapaul
    ...what do you think his first moves regarding foreign policy should be to regain the trust and admiration of the world community that America once enjoyed - and that George W. Bush completedly destroyed.

To end US support for Israel until they demolish the apartheid wall, reverse their retaliation policy of destroying the famliy homes of bombers and sit down at the negotiation table with a view to finding a lasting settlement that includes an independent Palestinian state.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

To charge George Bush with war crimes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Dont you mean WHEN Kerry Wins or WHEN Anyone but Bush wins, It cant come fast enough, the world will be a better and much safer place.

hope Bush burns in hell

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Stop this whole Israel-is-always-right policy that Bush seems to employ, would be the best bet. It's unlikely that Kerry would outright condone it, but he could surely stop the blatant favourtism. I reckon that could do more than anything to help disabuse the Middle East of some sort of Judeo-Christian fight against Islam.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by ixoy
    Stop this whole Israel-is-always-right policy that Bush seems to employ, would be the best bet. It's unlikely that Kerry would outright condone it, but he could surely stop the blatant favourtism.

I can't see that happening, the jewish lobby in america would go mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Whip America's healthcare system into shape.

...let's face it, America need some time to sort out their own house right now before they go telling the neighbours how to run their own affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Originally posted by Gizzard
    Dont you mean WHEN Kerry Wins or WHEN Anyone but Bush wins, It cant come fast enough, the world will be a better and much safer place.

hope Bush burns in hell

Just read a new opinion poll published on CNN.com, Kerry leads Bush by 2% - with AND without Nader involved. I believe Kerry will win in the end, despite his lack of 'magnetism' - many of those I know from my time spent over there who voted for Bush in 2000 will not this time, for obvious reasons. If the Republicans had dumped Bush & Cheney for McCain & ??? they probably would win in November.

Hope the US signs up to the Kyoto treaty (accord? whatever) soon - still wouldn't become involved in the International Criminal Court if I were them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Repeal PPD 21.
    Repeal the laws protecting oil companies in Iraq from any form of prosecution for any crime, as well as similarly cynical laws allowing for 100% ownership of services in Iraq by foreign investors.
    Close Guantanamo Bay's prison camps, as well as the ones in Kandahar.
    Adhere to the Geneva Conventions.

Invest heavily in the US educational system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

have bush put on trial for being a war criminal and have him executed

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭the1andonly1

Dont you mean WHEN Kerry Wins or WHEN Anyone but Bush wins, It cant come fast enough, the world will be a better and much safer place

I doubt much will change, Kerrys foreign policy isnt that much different to Bushs, just a little less right wing. American foreign policy exists to serve and protect the business world and it's from this fact that most of americas foreign policy problems stem. Kerry isnt goin to try and do anything radical as he himself is as pro business as bush. Happy days ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

It will be the same corporates running the show but just with Kerry as a better PR up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Originally posted by frodi
    It will be the same corporates running the show but just with Kerry as a better PR up front.

It's a pity McCain didn't get in in 2000, he had great plans to clean up the whole political funding issue.

Are there any countries in the world that can be pointed out as good examples in this regard (political funding from individuals/companies)?

My grandfather once told me how, back in the 30s, all the big farmers in his county would send the sitting TDs from the area choice cuts of beef or big turkeys with a whiskey bottle or two. No surprise then when the larger farmers were well looked after by the government back then! I always get a laugh when I hear lobbyists saying that money from corporations is given with no ulterior motives, out of a love of democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭BUMP!

If he could just drop the condescending attitude that bush seems to enjoy then that would be a good start....

...cutting bush's head off would be better!!(only messn - sorta)

Or doing something useful for the 3rd world countries who are riddled with debt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

hes no saint, but ill be glad to see that maniac out of the white house once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by frodi

That's the truest statement of all. Kerry was just years ahead of Bush in Yale, both are extremely wealthy and both have corporate links. And there are black and white photos on the net of Rumsfeld, Cheney and *Nixon* in the early 70s. They've been running the show for decades (not Nixon though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Just read a new opinion poll published on CNN.com, Kerry leads Bush by 2% - with AND without Nader involved.

ONLY 2%, he'd want to be doing a lot better than that at this stage. If Kerry continues at this rate, he'll get hammered in the elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gaelic cowboy

Originally posted by Macros42
    To end US support for Israel until they demolish the apartheid wall, reverse their retaliation policy of destroying the famliy homes of bombers and sit down at the negotiation table with a view to finding a lasting settlement that includes an independent Palestinian state.

Not a chance in hell that is going to happen democrat or republican mark my words

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Captain Trips
    And there are black and white photos on the net of Rumsfeld, Cheney and *Nixon* in the early 70s. They've been running the show for decades (not Nixon though!)
    Oh you don't have to rely on the photos

Donald Rumsfeld (nice picture with some Iraqi bloke)

Dick Cheney (no cute photos but he once served on the Cost Of Living Council which is pretty ironic)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Kerry wont win... edwards is a weak ticket partner (former trial lawyer), and he has not got ONE solid opinion on any subject!

but if he wins, he cant do anything about iraq but lt it take its course..

he'll create more jobs, boost the economy + health, but he is a weak president when it comes to fighting terrorism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I'm afraid many on this board are going to be very disappointed in November when Bush wins another four years of executive authority.

Originally posted by TomF
    I'm afraid many on this board are going to be very disappointed in November when Bush wins another four years of executive authority.

Agreed Bush will win and a lot of people in Europe are going to be feirce disapointed.
    Kerry is a lacklustre candidate with no charisma americanvoters just do not trust John Kerry so he is bucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Kerry has been gaining ground on Bush since the start and now he is starting to take over.
    Every single new report and commision about terrorism is dropping points for Bush.
    Its to hard to call at this stage.

As for what Kerry should do:

- Repeal the Patriot Act
    - Fix Guantanamo Bay by either covering it up better or a much better option is to close it down, and open up a new one somewhere else :)
    - Don't sign up to the ICC which is silly and the US have never supported it and never will
    - Get the UK to get back into Europe and get France and Germany to become friends with the US again
    - Get back to NATO action
    - Get out of Iraq asap and let democracy takes its course

What he shouldn't do is change the US's position on Israel.
    If he did do that what would happen?
    US would no longer support Israel, so the entire world would now be againist them, so what?
    You think it would change anything?
    Israel will not stop the wall, and nor should they!
    They won't change there ppolicy.
    All it would do is destabilise the region more and perhaps result in a nother war in the middle east which Israel would easily win and be able to take more land, like they should if a country invades them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

As Frodi said it won't make much of a difference if Kerry gets in. It's the corporate machine that rules and runs America and not it's government.

Obviously the educational system is in need of a lot of investment but then it wouldn't play into the hands of the rich to have a better educated population...

If Kerry gets in then a few superficial changes will be made but nothing will cahnge in the background.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Kerry has not made much of an impact as of yet. I think Bush will indeed win & hilliary Clinton will run next time out.

Just by talking to various americans over on holidays and working with myself for a while they all say more less the same thing "better the devil you know" seem to be the current belief for most americans.

Originally posted by gaelic cowboy
    Just by talking to various americans over on holidays and working with myself for a while they all say more less the same thing "better the devil you know" seem to be the current belief for most americans.
    Land of the free, eh?

Nick

In my view it's like people here voting for FF at the last election there was an element of better the devil you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I hope kerry wins,

but knowing the american elctoral college system, bush will rig the vote anyway win or lose, al gore got quater of a million more votes than bush last time round and that war criminal still got in. He opviously hates Ireland and as of for Northern ireland i doubt if he knows it even exists. If he is reelected be preparing for to move inland as sea levels rise from global warming, bush won't sign Kyoto, Kerry proapaly won't either but he will curp emmisions, bush on the other hand want's to drill in the Alaskan wildlife reserve for oil. American cars only does 15 - 20 to the gallon as our does 30 - 40 to the gallon. kerry said on an intervien given to cbs news he hopes to bring in more fuel efficency if elected.
    Basically what i'm saying is bush will ruin the world if re-elected,
    Also his backing of the israelis is so wrong, the palestinians are being terrorized not the other way round.

If kerry wins look forward to a decade of peace and steady economic growth, and more enviorementaly frienldlyness.

Regards netwhizkid

• Advertisement

Originally posted by netwhizkid

If kerry wins look forward to a decade of peace and steady economic growth, and more enviorementaly frienldlyness.
    I'd disagree with that Netwhizkid, if Kerry wins we'll will just feel a lesser pain around the arse region, but the rash will still be there. Kerry will not be as blatent as Bush but there'll still be plenty of crap going on.

Nick

Advertisement