Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercury Music Prize Nominations

Options
  • 23-07-2004 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Basement Jaxx
    Belle and Sebastian
    Franz Ferdinand
    Jamelia
    Keane
    Snow Patrol
    Joss Stone
    The Streets
    Ty
    Amy Winehouse
    Robert Wyatt
    The Zutons

I reckon it'll be between Franz Ferdinand & Keane. Although personally I'd prefer Snow Patrol or The Strees to win.

Any thoughts?

B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I have not heard one of these albums but by going on past performances, I'd like to see Franz Ferdinand or the Streets win. Preferably the Streets though. I think it's a pretty weak list this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

What an abysmal list. Can't they all lose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Would like to see Snow Patrol or Belle and Sebastian win-anything would be better than the tripe that won it last year (Dizee Rascal) having said that it could have been far worse the Darkness ( :rolleyes: ) could have won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

it would be great to see snow patrol picking up the gong, but it has to be alex kapranos and the boys- i.e franz ferdinand

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Franz Ferdinand are by far the best on that list if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Belle & Sebastian wouldnt be a bad choice

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

...its been a bad year for music IMHO. I have a few of the albums listed, and I saw a few of the other acts at Glastonbury, and while you couldn't slag them off, you couldn't say you were blown away either. Music is definitely taking its influences in chronological order at the moment - by that I mena 3 years ago we had electro-pop(Ladytron etc.),2 years ago NYC punk(Strokes etc.) and now we're into Talking Heads turn of the 80's stuff with a lot of this 'angular pop' as it's called. I never liked it the 1st time aound so that might be why I'm on a downer about it all. Still tho, if the trends continue the same way we've got Retro Goth and metal to look fwd to, woo hoo!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

the mercury music prize usually goes to the act you've never heard of,so I reckon Ty will win. don't know if he/she/they/it are any good, but that doesn't seem to be part of the judges criteria for selecting the winner...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yup, it's true. More often than not the act with the least amount of attention picks up the gong. I doubt the obvious contenders will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Franz Ferdinand ? Flavour of the month if you ask me. They're just the new Travis/Cold Play/Whatever that happens to be in vogue for a while.

davej

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Snow Patrol should. And what's this lark about The Streets, I've rarely been privy to worse. How anyone can like/listen to them.... I find it disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Tazzle wrote:
    ...and what's this lark about The Streets, I've rarely been privy to worse. How anyone can like/listen to them.... I find it disturbing.

but.. but... you like SNOW PATROL....

i rest my case... ty should win it, the streets dont deserve it, second album not as good as first, rest of nominees too boring to get the gong.... basement jaxx have been around too long, jamelia has a decent chance but doubt they'd give the prize to an out and out pop act... my money's on ty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

davej wrote:
    Franz Ferdinand ? Flavour of the month if you ask me. They're just the new Travis/Cold Play/Whatever that happens to be in vogue for a while.

davej

heh you cant really compare Franz Ferdinand to coldplay or Travis...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

davej wrote:

davej

I fully endorse this product and/or service. They are bland beyond belief - so bland in fact that its not beyond belief - its very beleivable. Ditto Keane, ditto Snow Patrol. They are the bastard children of Travis and Coldplay. I really tried to listen to these albums, hoping to hear something new or interesting - I vastly overestimated them.
    You have to go back to 1998 to find an album I found deserving of the prize (Gomez - Bring It On). Its becoming stale at this stage and very mainstream. It might as well be the MTV awards.... where's Busted new album???? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

You have to go back to 1998 to find an album I found deserving of the prize

what about PJ Harvey( 2002??)? I thought that album was pretty good.

what about PJ Harvey( 2002??)? I thought that album was pretty good.

That may be true, but I stand by my original comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Well, the organisers have obviously gone all crazy on us as Franz Ferdinand picked up the gong yesterday.

They probably realized last year that a small act winning such a prestigious award doesn't always make Panasonic as significant as they want it to be. Dizzee Rascal completely shunned popularity following his win. And they obviously didn't want another hip-hop/garage act (The Streets) to win to keep continuety.

Should Franz Ferdinand have won though? I haven't heard the Belle and Sebastian offering but otherwise, they are what I would have chosen. Pity the nominations are the best example of what Ireland and the UK have to offer though (Keane?).

Oh that the organisers had gone crazy - FF's album was decent, but by no means new or particularily original. The Mercury music prize is more or less dead as we knew it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Was it ever relevant? I mean, that list of albums is as poor and already dated as any I've seen. Previous winners generally comprise a list of nobodies and flashes in the pan with a couple of exceptions. As for Franz Ferdinand winning? Really, if that's the best the UK has to offer musically then they're in deep doo doo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Here's an interesting linky linky showing just how wrong they can get it!!

B.

• Advertisement
Advertisement