Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade options

Options
  • 23-07-2004 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a bit of advice.
    I have the option of upgrading my home pc from Win98 to 2000 Pro or XP Pro. It might help with some DSL & Network problems that I am having.
    I have a dell xp233 with 320Mb RAM (64 original + 256 that i added myself), 20Gb Hard disk (+ original 4Gb disk).
    I am aware that this is the basic minimum needed for Xp so it might be pushing it a bit.
    I was also thinking that if I got a seperate graphics card that it might reduce some of the drain on memory to allow some better speeds.

Whadayatink?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Spend €400 and buy a cheapo new machine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Might just do that. I've been surfing around and there are some good bargins out there at the moment.
    Seems a shame not to use the three licences that i have going spare at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

If you tuen off the XP UI and revert back to the Windows 2000 style in XP, you're machine will take it fine.
    That way, you get the benefits of the OS, andn the performance of W2K (nearly).

Advertisement