Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concentrated fruit drinks

• 23-07-2004 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

What exactly are the ingrediants of the concentrated fruit? Is it 100 fruit in the carton or is there water/sugar etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

what they do i think is that the fruit is dehydrated and then is packaged off to wherever and water is re-added to it. yuck. thats why fresh is always best!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

interesting! Anyone no for sure what the craic is with it?

Munkee, hows the bouncer situation?

thank god he hasnt rang at all!!! i have a feeling that my friend didnt give him the right number because she was really drunk....i am so relieved!! lets just hope now that i dont jinx myself!!:p

I think i wrote a big reply to that and you neva saw it! cud b wrong tho:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

what they do i think is that the fruit is dehydrated and then is packaged off to wherever and water is re-added to it. yuck. thats why fresh is always best!!

Yeah that's exactly what they do. They dehydrate it (so it'll weigh less and be a lot cheaper to export) and then when it gets to it's destination they add water back in.

• Advertisement

Do you think they would peel the oranges before dehydration and then just squash them all together? I'm just glad they don't add sugar. Can you confirm that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,004 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Some do, some don't. If it says "pure" you should be okay. Although because of the concentration of fruit, the amount of sugar in orange juice would be the same as in something like Coke anyway, so you need to be careful if you're concerned about your sugar consumption.

I found this:

Fruit concentrates
    In the production of concentrates, the natural water content of the fruit juice is extracted through vaporisation or freezing.
    The Brix content of the concentrate varies according to the quantity to be extracted.

Use
    in the beverage and tea industry for juices, fruit juice beverages, nectars, ice tea,
    as additive in alcoholic drinks
    in the confectionery and baking industry for sweets, fruit jellies, chewing sweets, fillings
    in the dairy and ice cream industry for fruit preparations, icings, desserts

Examples of use of our fruit concentrates:

Tropical drink (20% juice)
    Tropical Mix concentrate Bx 40 5,00%
    Sucrose 11,4%
    Water 83,6%
    Bx 14 Yield 100

now I'm not sure if that is for a drink like Cranberry juice that does actually state ingredients of water, sucrose, cranberry juice or if that is also the case for a carton that says 100% orange juice (made from concentrate)

ooh i did see your long reply btw:p

Most cranberry juice drinks have sugar added. Orange juices tend not to, especially the generic Tesco/Dunnes et al orange juices.

• Advertisement

Cool! My skin reacts bad to sugar so this is good news:)

can you eat anything with sugar?? like biscuits or honey??

but I'm running the risk of getting a reaction so I have to guzzle down pints of water. I had a crunchie tonight and had 2 pints after. Bad bad bad. hehe. My skin is fine now though. I used to have a few spots when I was younger but I'm fine now. I used to weight about 16 stone when I was 13, I'm 19 now and weight 13 stone. Honey is different... right???.... Honey aint sugar? It's honey!

It is sugar, though slightly more nutritious. You may have to watch out for the same problems you're having with sugar.

hmm..i'm wondering now whether it's sugar only..maybe it's something else?? there is loads of different kinds of sugar== fructose in fruit, lactose in milk, glucose in sweets,honey...maybe it's just one type of sugar? what have you been eating that you have noticed the reactions?

Some people get skin reactions to the sugar in bananas which I believe is mostly fructose. Seems to be pretty much anything that's overly sweet. You're probably best to avoid fruit juices altogether(they're not as healthy as they're made out to be) and stick with whole fruits (preferably not too sweet varieties, the natural fibres will protect you from the small amounts of sugars in these fruits.).

Personally I find bananas are too sweet for me to tolerate (Sets me on a quest for real sugar for one thing). Milk is fine on the other hand, as are apples and oranges.

Advertisement