Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

Options
  • 23-07-2004 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

May I recommend this book to anyone who hasn't read it. Quite simply the most amazing book I have ever read.

The story tells us of Eddy, a fairground maintenance worker. The book starts at the end. The end of Eddies life as he tries to save a little girl, at the fairground from a ride that fails. The book tells us of Eddies journey as he leaves earth and meets his 5 people in heaven who try to explain his life on earth. We flashback through his life - his relationship with his father, his mother & his wife. His time in the army and the ties that bind the 5 people and Eddie.

Link.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I read it a few months ago and I wasn't really blow away by it - the book is short, the story was sweet, but a little lacking in strength; it's an OK read but I wouldn't recommend it as a "great" read. It's more a woman book then a guy book:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I read his book 'Tuesdays with Morrie" which was a true story. I found it an OK read but last time I checked, TFPYMIH was still a bit expensive, but it is a good few months ago now so maybe it has come down in price. I'd rather buy local and save the planet by not having a delivery man drive the book to my door!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Is Tuesdays with Morrie any good? It has gotten rave reviews?
    Quite interested in TFPYMIH now, will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I'm halfway through Tuesday's with Morrie. Tbh it's no where near as good as TFPYMIH.
    It's more a woman book then a guy book

Is there such a thing :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭damntheman

http://imdb.com/title/tt0400435/

I was looking around on that website and recalled reading or hearing about this and then I remembered that I read about it here. I thought it may interest you in knowing that there will be a movie made about this book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PandeB

I'm dying to get my hands on a copy of that book.
    Have read Tuesday's with Morrie and absolutely loved it.
    Really gets you thinking about what the important things in life are

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I can't read books like these - because I know I'll just end up depressed. I would agree with OfflerCrocGod - women do prefer these type of books - more emotional - which women are in general. Plus they look better in bikinis. ;)

Why is it that when emotive books or movies are mentioned alot of guys mae smart comments about girls in bikinis. Yes girls are more secure with showing their feelings but I dont think anyone who read Tuesdays with Morrie could fail to be moved. Those of you who are avoiding the book are obviously trying to avoid showing their feelings. Quite sad really.

PandeB wrote:
    ...I dont think anyone who read Tuesdays with Morrie could fail to be moved.

That's my point exactly - I don't want to be moved in that way. I prefer not to think about people with Alzheimers. Life's too short. This is the same reason i've never read Johnny Got His Gun (story of a young American terribly maimed in WWI. He survives armless, legless, and faceless, but with his mind intact).
    :cool:

• Advertisement

But it is part of life RE*AC*TOR!
    You cant avoid things such as illness and death, we are all faced with such situations everyday.Maybe if you read more things about it, you wouldnt be so afraid.
    The book is an inspiration to people, ill or not, about hope and inner strength. I think there is alot more than the sadness of his death to be taken from this book. In that position, I think everyone would like to believe they could deal with it as Morrie did. Ignoring the issue and hoping it will go away will never work, no point in being miserable for your your last days in earth.

PandeB wrote:
    ..no point in being miserable for your your last days in earth.

exactly - no point being miserable reading an overly emotive book.

Well maybe you should check out the children's book section if you cant handle the truth of the real world. Have to face it at some stage.

Really I recommend it it everyone, will take about 1 day to read because you wont be able to put it down and it is quite short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

Just to clarify: RE*AC*TOR does not enjoy reactions?! Interesting!

Also people read books in order to be moved! That's what they're there for! To bring about sensations you otherwise wouldn't be experiencing in the bus home (least not usually). Terry Prachett (random example) isn't what I'd consider a emotional writer but he moves me to laughter all the time.

Next, tagging a book 'female' isn't fair, it's a generalisation which (as we've seen) is not appreciated!

'Tuesday's...' was a excellent book, though not about death or illness more than the majority of books. It was a story about life. However it is surpased by 'The Five....'. What a great book. Very original! I couldn't put it down. I read half of it in one night then so as not to finish it too soon, I rationed it! It was one of those books you read that makes you think you've got to read more in life! Imaginitive and moving!! Utterly memorable.

Just to clarify: RE*AC*TOR does not enjoy reactions?! Interesting!

Perhaps I'll clarify - I don't like depressing books.
    Also people read books in order to be moved! That's what they're there for!

Depends on the book - I have two books on my desk - Cell Biology by Pollard and Earnshaw, and SAMS Teach Yourslef C++ in 21 Days - neither of which I expect to move me. There are many ways to be moved - not all of them involve such depressing content.
    Terry Prachett (random example) isn't what I'd consider a emotional writer but he moves me to laughter all the time.

I think you're stretching the boundaries of the word "move" here. I saw an ad on tv for toilet roll - it moved me to buy toilet roll!!!
    Next, tagging a book 'female' isn't fair, it's a generalisation which (as we've seen) is not appreciated!

You know what else isn't appreciated? Failing to properly read a post and then responding to what you perceived someone to write. To clarify - I said women generally prefer to read these types of books. i'd place books like Chicken Soup For The Soul in the same category. Of course men will read both of these books - but I'd be willing to wager the percentage would be less than 30% men.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭karma kabbage

Oh come now . . . the re*act*or reacting thing was a joke (granted not up to my usual hysterical standard but hey)

I'll grant you the 'books are not there to move you' point, as i genuinely did not consider more 'functional' books such as you quoted.

However I maintain my 'move' boundries. You can be moved to laughter. I don't know that you can be moved to buy toilet paper (unless you had some interesting personality quirks!)

I'm maintain I do not think it is fair to tag a book female as it is bound to insight irrelevent feedback and it really can cause offence, moreso comments about bikini's.

....can cause offence, moreso comments about bikini's.
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    which women are in general. Plus they look better in bikinis.

Perhaps a poll is in order???

Which looks better? Did I lie?

139-3922_img.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I believe this thread was initially about the five people you meet in heaven.

Nothing wrong with parallell (dammit I can never spell that word right) arguments but this has gone too far off track.

Keep it on, or at least close to, topic lads. The veracity of statements regarding bikinis should be taken elsewhere.

Not locking this thread, but I will be keeping a closer eye on it in future.

Advertisement