Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

looks like Coloccini is on his way to Liverpool

• 23-07-2004 1:43pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

from sublime football
    Liverpool in Coloccini talks

by Editor :: 2004-07-23, 02:42

AC Milan defender Fabricio Coloccini has revealed talks are on-going
    for a move to Liverpool.

Coloccini told the Sun newspaper: "I know one of Liverpool's classic games is against Rooney's club - Everton. He's a great player and if I go there, I'll have to mark him.

"There are good strikers in all European leagues and you have to be prepared to take on players with that sort of quality.

"In Spain, I've had to mark forwards who are just as dangerous. I can do it, I feel capable of it."

He added: "I've heard the Liverpool reports. We're in talks and the offer interests me.

"I'm proud a club the size of Liverpool rates me, I really like British football and follow it a lot.

"And for the coach who won the Spanish championship to ask for me - given all the players in Spain - is a boost.

"I'll be very appreciative if the deal comes off. I wouldn't let him down."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I heard that rumour to but ....
    Coloccini told the Sun newspaper: "I know one of Liverpool's classic games is against Rooney's club - Everton. He's a great player and if I go there, I'll have to mark him.

Makes me wonder:dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Good news, Dub13. We could do with another centre-half, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i'll be keeping a close eye on him during the copa america final?

anyone know much else about this guy? is benitez on to a gem then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

IS it just me or is the PL on its way to becoming the most desired league in Europe?

Far more players and especially managers seems to be coming this way compared to previous season..

I am not sure about Colocini, but time will tell..

He's a good player alright, who has been out on loan a lot over the past few seasons. Still only 22 though and played most of Villareal's matches in the UEFA Cup last season. Can be a bit hot-headed but Baros was the same until he joined. Like I said before, we need another centre-half badly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

anyone know the price tag on this fella?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

about 3 million sterling, not a bad player and a cheaper option than ayala and if hes on the argentina team then he must'nt be half bad.
    After drogba signed for chelsea, it shows what a bargain we got in cisse at half the price.Was just looking at the squad announced for the tour to america, ritchie partridge isnt included, is he injured again? my guess its time for him to leave maybe(sadly) as only for injuries for the last few years he would have made the right spot his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LIVERPOOL SET FOR JOSEMI SWOOP
    Saturday 24th July 2004

Josemi: Set for Anfield

Rafael Benitez is set to make his first signing since becoming Liverpool boss and he is returning to Spain to snap-up highly rated full back Josemi.

The 24-year-old - full name Jose Miguel Gonzalez Rey - is one of the most respected defenders in La Liga and has been widely tipped to leave Malaga this summer.

Benitez enquired about Malaga quartet Miguel Angel, Alexis, Juan Calatayud and Josemi last month and now he has pushed through his interest for the latter.

Atletico Madrid and Real Betis both attempted to land the player earlier this summer, while Bolton also watched him in action last season.

However, Bentitez has now secured the signing of the aggressive full back - who was booked over ten times last season.

Josemi's final action as a Malaga player came on Friday when he played in their friendly against German side Nurnberg.

However, he will leave his former team-mates to join-up with his new employers in America - where he will finalise his move, after his representatives agreed a four-year deal for him at Anfield.

Josemi is rated very highly in Spain but he has played just 92 league games since making his Malaga debut in 2001.

The arrival of the Spaniard is likely to pile the pressure on Irish full back Steve Finnan - who would have hoped to secure the right back spot for the coming season

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Would love to see him in the squad, and hopefully soon after on the team, the boys in the back were not particularly good last season, Hyypia was not even his usual superb self.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

ritchie partridge is not fully fit yet,but he has been given a new one year contract.He will have to brake into the team this year as he is getting old (well for a footballer).

There are rumours going around Liverpool that he was only given a new contract because he goes out with Owens sister and the theory behind the rumour is if ritchie is still at the club Owen is more likely so sign.I dont no if there is anything to this rumour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by VinnyL
    anyone know much else about this guy? is benitez on to a gem then?

He has a very... distinctive appearance, shall we say. Anyone who remembers Carlos Valderamma of Columbia should have a good idea what he looks like. His perm should go down well on Merseyside... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by galwaydude

After drogba signed for chelsea, it shows what a bargain we got in cisse at half the price.

That remains to be seen. . .

Josemi: Set for Anfield

I'm glad to see Rafa focusing on strengthening at the back. As for Stevie Finnan, competition is a good thing in a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Richie Partridge's career at Liverpool was over as soon as Houllier came a long. When was the last time an Irish player came through the ranks under a foreign manager and cement their place in the team? No Irish player has came through at Arsenal under Wenger, Chelsea under all their foreign managers, Liverpool under Houllier. 8 years at Chelsea, 8 at Arsenal and 6 at Liverpool. Liverpool has seen a load of Irish youth's pass in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Houiller brought in Finnan from Fulham and profested that Liverpool always do well with an Irish palyer in the team.

Look how that turned out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by cerbeus
    Houiller brought in Finnan from Fulham and profested that Liverpool always do well with an Irish palyer in the team.
    Ranieri also brought in Duff but they were already proven. They didn't come through the ranks at the club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Milan is stupid to let him go, I reckon it will be another case like Viera where they let a young player go for peanuts and he ends up being the best in the world in his posistion.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Originally posted by Seaneh
    Milan is stupid to let him go, I reckon it will be another case like Viera where they let a young player go for peanuts and he ends up being the best in the world in his posistion.

that seems to happen to Milan a bit,I think they just dont give players the time to settle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If he goes, it's a pity, but Milans loss will be someone elses gain, I can't understand Anchilotti sometimes, he has some odd ideas...

Colocinni would be perfect for the premiership, very strong, good on the ball, a reall old style defender, like beckenbauer or baresi. will be absolutly peerless in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

That's exactly what we need, a old style defender.

Anyway here's hoping Hyppia will have a better season this time round...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    IS it just me or is the PL on its way to becoming the most desired league in Europe?

Far more players and especially managers seems to be coming this way compared to previous season..

Its the league with the dough , so its the league where people want to go .

The majority of Premiership clubs are managed far better finniacially than those in other parts of Europe .(Leeds aside , but they are a Coca-Cola Championship side now :D )

The transfer market windows shortened the amount of players being bought in the first few years , but I think clubs are getting used to it and transfers are becoming as frwquent as they were before .(and most Italian sides are bankrupt , or soon to be . So clubs rae picking up quality players on the cheap )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Josemi is a central defender who can also play at either left or right full back. Cost is €4M and he's being offered a four year contract.

Coloccini is a tough tackling defender - a Colin Hendry type with much more skill. From what I've heard the stumbling point is the price... Liverpool are being quoted almost twice the price that the interested Spanish clubs are.

Benitez is being shrewd with the money - saving for the transfer window in January. He's only looking to bring in two players this summer - two defenders or a defender and a midfielder. The squad will be re-evaluated before the transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i thought josemi was primarily a RB, i'd have preferred a CB, not just someone that can play there too, but someone that plays best there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Real Madrid have asked Milan how much they want for Coloccini.

Advertisement