Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident Reporting

Options
  • 23-07-2004 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

GlennaMaddy thanks for the vote of confidence I have done a lot of research lately into the use of personal EPIRB's from the perspective of the diving community and the results are interesting, its actually very easy to buy and register a 406 beacon for personal use as a diver than buy, register and programme for a vessel.

(look Phil no links or ads just facts)

On the blocked thread we discussed the formation of an incident recording board, were divers could record and recount minor or major incidents in order help other divers to avoid similar situations.

It was suggested that we contact the RNLI, Irish Coast Guard and Health and Safety Authority and that is just what I done a number of weeks ago.

I had a reply from the Irish Coast Guard stating that they have passed my query to the Irish Under Water Council and would revert with an answer.

The RNLI replied to say that the person who deals with this was on leave and would mail me when they came to work, they came back to work two weeks ago and still no answer.

Today I have just received the following the HSA

Derek

Just to inform you that we are looking at your proposal re a web forum on
    diving accidents and incidents. I will ensure that someone reverts to you
    shortly with our view.
    You may already be aware that the HSA can not have any role in relation to
    leisure or sports diving. However, we will try to ensure that you get
    information from the HSA related to diving safety for occupational divers
    together with views on web managing such a project which may be relevant in
    assisting your decision to procedd or otherwise.

Mary Dorgan

I think we are on our own, does anyone really give a ****e about sports divers until we end up dead and then nothing but rumour and hear say, no explanation or learning just a void until another death.

Apache

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Thats a good little boy, keep it that way and you can stay and talk to the grown ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Apache01

Phil

Now you are getting dam right insulting, I would suggest that as a moderator you reflect on your role. You are continually negative in the points you have raised in relation to our campaign to make diving safer.

Is it not the child that usually runs away from the discussion, by blocking the last thread you have done just that. The role of the moderator is to simulate discussion, not switch of because someone those not agree with your point of view.

I do not wish to waste time on this thread arguing with an incapable moderator.

I have posted information regarding the safely of divers and invited comment from participants who are capable of adult, mature discussion on a topic many of us take very seriously.

I will be contacting the Boards Administration in relation to this matter. In the mean time I suggest that you read some of the excellent articles, which are available online relating to moderating. One such article states that your role as the facilitator, should include questioning and listening skills, providing direction and support, managing online discussions, building online groups and developing online relationships. Not slamming the door shut and insulting people.

Can we now get back to the real subject of discussion?

Apache

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

could someone confirm what is the current policy of

A) Irish Underwater Council

B) PADI irish branch

with regard to reporting incidents and publicising those reports?

Acutally <snip/> I'll wait for the complaint to go in before I respond. My apologies to all except Apache, he needs to check his private messages. Back on topic ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Popcorn, geeeeeeet your popcorn folks... €5 euro a bag...
    Popcorn, geeeeeeet your popcorn folks...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Apache
    One such article states that your role as the facilitator, should include questioning and listening skills, providing direction and support, managing online discussions, building online groups and developing online relationships. Not slamming the door shut and insulting people.

Alright I can't resist this one. Its been my experience as a moderator on this and other forums that one thing that kills a discussion or an online community is advertising. Spam is the enemy. As I've pointed out to you I asked you to move the offending advert to the Couses in Ireland thread as per the charter AND I asked you to do this because it was safety equipment. Also if you're advertising at us in that thread then your providing a discount. You are here for the community if you are an advertiser, not the other way around. They are the rules.

Be Safe, Be Happy, Behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Guys

Let me point out something very simple here....

Self promotion of any form, advertising or whatever especially in the guise of information for other users is extremely frowned upon by boards.ie, in some of the other forums its is an immediate ban from all forums in boards.ie, especially when someone has been warned previously.

If someone feels they can make money. or promote their own business on the back of boards.ie they must be prepared to give something back to boards.ie either by taking out banner adverts or forum sponsorship etc.

Evil phil has made a good point previously, pointing out that self promotion within a thread, generally takes away from the content of the post, many users will see the post as self promotion and simply gloss over it.

I personally feel it is very underhand to have a go at a moderator in their own forum. Moderators give up their own time and generally contribute a considerable amount to the success of a forum and get nothing for it except abuse! and of course whatever personal satisfaction they may be from looking after their forum.

A disagreement with a mod should never be aired publically unless they have genuinely gone overboard. Use pm with the mod first then take it to the admins, airing your dirty laundry just smacks of looking for public sympathy and hoping the others will jump on the bandwagon. This sort of approach makes it extemely difficult for a mod to show some discretion in how they view the contents of a thread as they have been put on the "spot" so to speak.

So do not self promote!
    Do not annoy the mods - discuss things in a civilised tone. Dont make it personal.
    Act on warnings
    Hug your mods

V.

Thanks Vexorg - I'm locking this one now. You all know where to continue with the orginal discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement