Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A quiet pub in dublin city ( YES I KNOW )

• 23-07-2004 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭

I'm going for a few drinks with a friend and i'd like to be actaully able to converse so suggest quiet enough pubs in the city or failing that cheap pubs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

first date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Karma on Fishamble Street - quiet and cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

oreillys which is under tara st dart station is lovely, even a beer gdn if ya wanna sit outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Bow's on Fleet st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭ronano

Originally posted by impr0v
    first date?

hah, he wishes :P nah just a mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭Static

O'Neill's on Pearse street, The gingerman, top of westland row. The white horse on the quays, when there's not a match on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭karlh

Mulligans on the corner of Leeson St and Stephens Green, completely empty 90% of the time. great to go and do nothing but talk and drink. cheap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭jd

mahaffy's pub- westland row?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

The Stags Head or The Long Hall.
    A smidge grotty but good atmosphere and nice for a drunken chat :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Stag's used to be good but it's always packed these days. Mulligan's don't even play the radio, and as Karl says, it's always empty. Used to drink there a lot when I was in school up the road - God be with the days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Peter's Pub across the road from the Hairy Lemon. An oasis of calm. No music or TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Kennedys at corner of Tara St and the quay. Full of aul fellas, bit dingy, but I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Originally posted by SteM
    Karma on Fishamble Street - quiet and cheap!

is that place a bit of a gay bar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Is that new? the only pub I know on fishamble street is Handels.

Not that I am interested in gay bars.

Originally posted by silverside
    Is that new? the only pub I know on fishamble street is Handels.

Not that I am interested in gay bars.

karma is in the handel hotel...

I only asked because i was supposed to meet some work friends before our xmas party last year in handels on thomas st, but i went to the wrong one and it seemed a bit gay to me...

maybe i was wrong but i just got that feeling from the place....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I recommend Grogans and The Palace Bar

The Palace Bar is lovely, but it suffers from the fact that it is in Temple Bar, and as such you get the occasional loud English person stumbling in the door...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    is that place a bit of a gay bar?

Dunno mate. Cheap beer and a relaxing place though. They don't put the pints on crotched doilies or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

White Horse is teh win tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Neptune Bar on Abby street, just on the corner with Marlborough street. It's the downstairs one, not the pub on street level. Kinda dodgy area but the pub is quite nice. Never seen it packed to stuffing proportions, always got a seat (well sometimes after waiting a few minutes) No scumbags and the music is at a nice level and full of good aul rock and 80's songs. Pints where priced well last time I visited it. Mainly a bikers bar, they like thier fourmla one races and being undistrubed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    karma is in the handel hotel...

I only asked because i was supposed to meet some work friends before our xmas party last year in handels on thomas st, but i went to the wrong one and it seemed a bit gay to me...

maybe i was wrong but i just got that feeling from the place....

Obviously your womans intuition kicking in there :D

or the ghey radar kicked in.. obviously just needed the right jolt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

its pretty cool,
    on the quays,
    dunno if you southside computer dudes would head there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Originally posted by Kêrmêttê
    ....The Long Hall.

The only reason I will ever go in there again is if somebody offers a large bounty on ignorant bar-staff. As you can imagine, given the amount of practitioners in this particular country, for a bar tender to distinguish himself in the ignorant arts he must have an exceptional talent for them.

Basically, unless you have drank in there since you were five and invited the owners to every brithday party since then, prepare to wait a long time to get served. You'll find yourself straining to find reflective surfaces just to make sure you haven't become invisible while the ignorant pricks serve people two waves behind you.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Obviously your womans intuition kicking in there :D

or the ghey radar kicked in.. obviously just needed the right jolt

no i think it was more the fact that i saw your boyfriend in there.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

TP Smiths ( used to be called Ryans) beside The Quays across from Jervis Centre. The staff are nice and food isn't bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

The Water Loo on Baggot St is another good place. You'll never be able to hear each other in Karma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Hackfest

Originally posted by smuckers
    TP Smiths ( used to be called Ryans) beside The Quays across from Jervis Centre. The staff are nice and food isn't bad either.

Yep, good spot. And IMO the food's great. Maybe I'm not an epicure like yerseff smucks? :D

And ignorant staff in the Long Hall? :confused: Never happened to me and I wouldn't have been what you would call a regular. An occasionaller maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Try the Bleeding Horse, I can be a bit loud at the weekend though. but if you get in early enough you'll be able to get the snug. Great staff, great pints and easy to get to.

Yes they do have a snug, before someone asks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Originally posted by impr0v
    The only reason I will ever go in there again is if somebody offers a large bounty on ignorant bar-staff. As you can imagine, given the amount of practitioners in this particular country, for a bar tender to distinguish himself in the ignorant arts he must have an exceptional talent for them.

Basically, unless you have drank in there since you were five and invited the owners to every brithday party since then, prepare to wait a long time to get served. You'll find yourself straining to find reflective surfaces just to make sure you haven't become invisible while the ignorant pricks serve people two waves behind you.

Sounds like Carnival (used to be Da 2) across from Whelans, I waited 30 minutes last night at the bar whilst the world and it's mother got served behind/beside me, after 30 minutes of being pushed and squished I decided to ask the bargirl if there was any chance of a pint (no I wasn't drunk or abusive, I was just trying to purchase my first pint of the night!), she replied with "Wait your turn!", I then politely explained that I had been propped up against the bar for over 30 minutes and she replied with "30 Minutes? huh? Wait your turn!"

Obviously I left, there is no way I am going to spend my saturday night fighting for the attention of some snotty bargirl! Needless to say I won't be drinking in there again! Funky beer garden or no funky beer garden!

/Kone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I alway's liked Ned's of Townend St.....always quiet, fantastic drink...i'd say the best Guinness and Smithwicks in Dublin. Bit old fasioned compared to these new uber trendy places that are sucking the heart and soul out of drinking in Dublin...but still fantastic.

P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

If there is hope for Dublin it lies in the old fashioned old man pubs...........

Advertisement