Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton FC

• 23-07-2004 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

This isn't meant to be a slagging match and I honestly feel they are in trouble...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/3920985.stm
    Everton deny Scolari claim

Everton in turmoil Everton have dismissed a claim by the Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari that they offered him their manager's job.

Scolari told Portuguese newspaper A Bola he was approached to replace David Moyes during the summer and that he would have a budget of £10m to spend.

But Everton spokesman Ian Ross told BBC Sport: "This is absolute nonsense."

Scolari's claim comes at a turbulent time, with striker Wayne Rooney yet to sign a new deal and Everton losing five boardroom members in five months.

Scolari recently signed a new contract that keeps him as Portugal coach until after the 2006 World Cup, but revealed he had been approached by several club sides.

He added: "I had offers from Italy, England and Spain.

"I can even give an example. The team that finished 17th in the Premiership (Everton) contacted me, but what can I do when a club invites me and tells me that the transfer budget is £10m?

"How can you compete with the big clubs when this will give no more than two good players?"

This is a very strange atory... Moyes is seen as one of the best young english talents in management. He had an excellent first full season but last season, for all accounts, was a disaster for the club...

There was lots of speculation last season that the relationship between Moyes and Rooney was stressed due to Moyes insistance on resting Rooney as much as possible - for his own good..

There has been many rumours over the summer break since Euro 2004 that Rooney has made many demends to the club, including seeing financial reports and there planned strategy for the coming years. Rooney justified this by saying he wanted to be sure that Everton could in fact honour the 50k a week contract that they are offering him...

Everton seem to be quite submissive to Rooney's demands and they do value him extremely highly. Lets face it, this one player could completely wipe their debt if sold and could be instrumental in big name players coming to Everton in the future if he stays...

The Scholari story is interesting in timing.. I have been thinking and came up with a possible scernario... Rooney asked that Everton look big and get ride of Moyes.. Moyes has been criticised by other players about his approach recently. In order to keep Rooney happy, Everton approached the Portuguese manager Big Fil, who lets face it, in world football is pretty big... Their approach was rejected..

Since then, Everton have publicly stated that they may have to sell Rooney... I wonder if its all connected?

Finally, how does the club expect to stay up when everything seems to be arseways...

They have let 6 players go so far this season and have signed two - Marcus Bent and Tim Cahill... I predict relegation for Everton this season and a few seasons in the Championship too..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Radzinski has now left for Fulham . £1.75M and has urged Rooney also to leave Goodison Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yeah the championship is where they belong too, poor side struggling every year to survive.

this season could ruin rooney if he stays at everton, too much pressure on him to perform and score, he'll be expected to singlehandedly keep everton afloat.

look at m'boro signing viduka, jimmy zenden etc.... id rate them as a similar club up to last season, now look at the 2.

its time the safe boys get kicked out of the league, teams like everton, blackburn, mancity..... the sides that have enough know how to survive every year but have no ambition whatsoever only to stay above the 40point mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by smemon
    its time the safe boys get kicked out of the league, teams like everton, blackburn, mancity..... the sides that have enough know how to survive every year but have no ambition whatsoever only to stay above the 40point mark.

That is an idiotic comment. Not all teams have the financial backing or history of the likes of United Arsenal Chelsea Liverpool or Newcastle. Hence they cant attract top players. Kick them out? Why dont we just make it a three team playoff because there are only 3 teams that can realistically win it??? :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

everton are one of the "big five" of english football...they may be suffering at the moment but they will get back there...

would be a shame to see them drop..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Interesting revelations in that article JTG . My own thinking on it would be that the Everton Board want to sell Rooney and clear some of the club debts . Moyes at the start of the summer was dead against selling Rooney and probably threatened to walk if the board sold Rooney against his will and so the board went looking for moyes replacement.

If you think about it Everton are in serious financial difficulties so If they were offering the new manager 10 Million to spend the most likely source of this income would be from the sale of a player and they only have one that would gererate that type of cash. Interesting Moyes has recently softened his position and now appears to be willing to let rooney go .

Speculation I know but it sound plausable to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Very possible also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭emertoff

Most Everton fans (including me) are actually quite happy at all the recent upheaval. Finally, it has been admitted that the club has been run in a manner that a Sunday League side would be ashamed of. Some that can only be a good thing. Being realistic, I think Everton should be capable of a top half finish, not this year, but if we survive this season there is some hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by watman
    Radzinski has now left for Fulham . £1.75M and has urged Rooney also to leave Goodison Park

Well Radzinski had to go, you simply can't go out and attack the manager as publicly as he did and expect to be in the squad.

The problem for Everton now is that the players coming in (in my opinion at least) are inferior to those that are leaving. Radzinski's replacement, Marcus Bent is hardly a consistant performer at the top level. Everton's other buy, Tim Cahill is another unproven player with no experience playing in the Premier League, last time we same him against Man Utd in the FA Cup he looked way out of their league.

What really is a shame is that a club like Everton which has a big fan base and reasonable gate receipts could fall on such hard times. It's time the club got realistic and look at the benefit they'll get from selling Rooney while his valuation is at it's peak. £30-£40 million would allow them to clear a substantial amount of their debt and even give them scope to bring in two decent players. I'd certainly take that over having Rooney upfront being impotent for the season because there isn't the quality behind him to supply him with the chances to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    That is an idiotic comment. Not all teams have the financial backing or history of the likes of United Arsenal Chelsea Liverpool or Newcastle. Hence they cant attract top players. Kick them out? Why dont we just make it a three team playoff because there are only 3 teams that can realistically win it??? :dunno:

do you have to criticise everything i say?

its obvious everton are a mess and will struggle to stay up. look at bolton attracting decent players, giving the fans some hope, boro the same even portsmouth, everton have signed no big players and are stuck with a div1 side. thats reality.

ok, maybe their trying to balance the books but staying in the premierleague will keep them afloat anyway, their best option would be to sell rooney for 30m and buy a few decent players that will strengthen the side overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

The outlook is very bleak for Everton if they don't get the finances sorted before the start of the season - 14 players in the final year of their contracts.

Time running out for Everton players (Teamtalk - 27 July 2004)
    Everton's cash crisis and boardroom power battle have contributed to 14 players being in the final year of their contracts.

While chairman Bill Kenwright and director Paul Gregg squabble for control, the finances of the Goodison Park club are in limbo.

That has restricted manager David Moyes to just two signings this summer as he waits for a decision on the future control of the club and exactly how much money Everton will have to spend on players.

While Everton's directors met on Monday night to consider Gregg and Kenwright's financial packages for the future - and put off until Friday a decision on what path to take - Moyes was being forced to consider signing young Australian defender Eddy Bosnar from Austrian side Sturm Graz, while more significantly across the Atlantic at Everton's tour base in Houston, Scottish international Gary Naysmith was demanding action on his own contract that has less than a year to run.

Bosnar does not even qualify for a work permit yet and is having to go home to Australia where he may be able to acquire the right paperwork to satisfy the Home Office.

Naysmith finds it hard to accept that Everton have allowed so many players to enter the final year of their contracts without offers of new deals.

"We are all in the same situation and obviously there must be reasons why everyone is going into the final year of their contract but the players are not aware of that," said Naysmith.

"I think it is just a case of the same seven or eight people signed in the same year and we all signed a similar length of contract.

"Like a number of the players here I have less than a year left and what will be will be, really.

"Hopefully in the next two to three weeks my agent will be meeting with the club to try and get a new contract."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Originally posted by sikes
    everton are one of the "big five" of english football

they are in my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Many league teams are now benchmarking wages as a percentage of turnover and sticking to it. It can only be a matter of time before some Premiership clubs start doing the same. Leeds lived in Alice in wonderland for long enough, and Chelsea were nearly caught out as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

What Midget Lord said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

What two sheds said .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

sikes: "everton are one of the "big five" of english football"

midget lord: "they are in my arse."

TwoShedsJackson: "What Midget Lord said"

Big Ears: "What two sheds said ."

...never hear of the "big five"???
    well Everton are one of the "big five" :)
    read more about the "big five" here:

"Big Five" article ...
    As the old cliché goes form is temporary and class is permanent, and the established big five in English football are, regardless of temporary difficulties, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Spurs and Manchester United. More recently clubs like Newcastle United, Aston Villa, Leeds United and Chelsea have threatened to join this elite. But history and tradition in England moves more slowly than tectonic plates. It will take a decade or two of top 3 finishes, and 4 or 5 titles before any of these pretenders will form part of a new elite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

"But on what basis is the big five established?

This is an easy question to answer, and is best answered with another question: which are the only five clubs who have been so consistent in their league finishes as to be amongst the top 10 teams for each decade in the last 50 years?"

________60s___70s___80s__90s
    Liverpool _ 4 ___ 1 ____ 1 ___ 3
    Arsenal __ 7 ___ 3 ____ 2 ___ 2
    Man Utd __ 3 ___ 8 ___ 4 ___ 1
    Spurs ____ 2 __ 10 ___ 5 ___ 7
    Everton __ 1 ___ 7 ____ 3 ___10

so past glories , over 15 years ago make everton part of the big 5 .

well thats means the big five aint so Big , as Everton could be relegated easily , and them even finnishing in the top ten would be a miracle .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

...never hear of the "big five"???

Knobbles, came across this this evening. Another article from the same website you were quoting discounting the concept of Everton being one of the "Big five" :eek:

http://www.squarefootball.net/content/article/article.asp?aid=938

that man makes sense .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Have heard a rumour that Steve Morgan (Life Long Liverpool Fan TM) has offered to invest £25M in Everton FC. Seems he's not happy with the Liverpool board and David Moores in particular.

Could be a wind up but I thought I'd pass the info on anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Originally posted by smemon
    do you have to criticise everything i say?

No, just the stupid things.

Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    No, just the stupid things.

but thats the same as everythign he says :confused: .

Advertisement