Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crappy internet speed????

Options
  • 23-07-2004 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

Am I entitled by Eircom to have my line checked and upgraded cause my speed is usually around 37kbps and sometimes 33Kbps. Oncce I got 40Kbps:eek: I should be able to get 50Kbps though

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

No, you are not. Eircom are bound by law to supply you with 9600 or 14400 bps speed (Fax) for *data* transmission.

You might find that your line is not giving you good quality for *voice* however (for example, you can hear static on the line) and in *that* case you *are* entitled to get the line checked.

If you catch my drift......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

Ring up Eircom and complain about the line and they will send somebody out but its the luck of the draw i had six different Eircom workers out to fix the phoneline and the sixth worker auctually fixed the line and getting 46kbs and even 48kbs and try
    netspeeder 2.5 build 653 as well might improve things

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Hi,

I am having a problem like this with my BB conection, it's a DSL 512kbs but when I download I only get half the speed (23.0kbs). we are only getting half for what we payed, we have contacted eircom, and they said they would come out on neumorus occastions, But still as usual from eircom... They did not come. I donno what to do? anyone have any advise?

Sorry about the spelling above i am kinda in a rush. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Actually, you are getting what you paid for. DSL is a contended service, with a theoretical, but definitely not guaranteed, maximum speed of 512kbps. Check Eircon's T&Cs to see if they guarantee a minimum speed.

• Advertisement

I know that essentially you will never get the maximum speed of a 512, but you should atleast get above 30kb/s. On avarage i get under 20. So i do think that, that is not acceptable and would not settle for it. Because before i used to get 40kbs on bb but now it's half that??

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

You could be too far from the exchange or might have a marginal line which would mean that you're not able to sync at 512 and have been automatically put down to 256k. I think this is where the up to 512 comes from in the ads.

No, see. i did have the speeds of a 512 since about christmass time, but suddenly it has gone down to 256kbs instead of 512. But i can definatley say i am within the 512 area bracket

Advertisement