Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft SBS and VPN

Options
  • 23-07-2004 5:13pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What's the story with MS Small Business Server and VPNs? Is there any particular reason why it wouldn't be able to handle PPTP and L2TP simultaneously?

A member of our network needs to connect to his office in London, but for various reasons he can't use PPTP to do it. His IT guy in London is dragging his heels about setting up the server to handle L2TP, and I'm wondering if there's a legitimate reason for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

you may need to load ISA server on to SBS as well. See http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver and http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/evaluation/trial/default.asp

Its about 50 Mbits in size

M

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

OK - it seems L2TP has now been enabled on the server. Unfortunately, he didn't get to test it before he came over here, and I spent a couple of frustrating hours with it yesterday.

At first, whenever I tried to connect the L2TP connection, it crapped out immediately saying it needed a valid certificate and didn't have one. I checked in mmc and he seemed to have a valid-looking cert. I logged on (via dialup) using the old PPTP connection, requested a new certificate and got one - still the same. On impulse, I requested a certificate for the computer instead of the user, and that problem seems to have gone away - only to be replaced by another.

Now it attempts to make the connection but fails after a few seconds, claiming that it can't authenticate the remote system. I mean, WTF?

If anyone has successfully set up an IPsec VPN between a SBS2k3 server and an XP pro client, I'd love some ideas about where to go from here.

Advertisement