Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I cannot get DSL in my area are there any other affordable options

Options
  • 23-07-2004 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I live in Ballygarrett in county Wexford and I cannot get DSL where I live so I was wandering are there any other options? I have heard of Satellite Broadband but it is far too expensive and I cannot get cable broadband in my area either. I have ISDN but I want a faster connection are there any other options that are not too expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Try private messaging Bkehoe here on boards, or over at http://www.irishwan.org/board, he may be able to help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 micklenehan

I have contacted him a few days ago and he told me that he is not sure when high speed internet access will be available in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by micklenehan
    I live in Ballygarrett in county Wexford and I cannot get DSL where I live so I was wandering are there any other options? I have heard of Satellite Broadband but it is far too expensive and I cannot get cable broadband in my area either. I have ISDN but I want a faster connection are there any other options that are not too expensive?
    Not in the short term, unless you can get together with some people between you and Enniscorthy and organize some sort of WAN.

There's been some traffic on the irishwan.org forums recently, explicitly mentioning Ballygarrett. Was that you, or someone else?

Ah. Well, there aren't many other options I'm afraid. There are still no wisps active around wexford as far as I'm aware and I presume you aren't in a cabled area that is run by the company down there doing cable internet.

I'm really not sure what else I can suggest, other than talking to BKehoe again and asking if you can give a hand in getting the network out your way..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

thats the problem your area has a population of about 700 i think
    it just wouldnt pay for eircom to install dsl there
    towns with bigger populations will be done first and then they will get around to the villages but this will take years :(

at the moment they seem to be doing towns with a population of about 8,000

but if there is a good few people around there interested in broadbad a wan may be possible as ripwave says

• Advertisement

Yes that was me on the IrishWAN forum:) I getting the impression that I am the only person in Ballygarrett that is interested in Broadband so it looks like Satellite is my only option.

Hey Moriarty you wouldnt happen to know what is the cheapest sattelite broadband service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by tuxy
    at the moment they seem to be doing towns with a population of about 8,000
    They claim to be doing all towns with a population over 1,500 by March 2005. This may be due to the threat held over them by the MANs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Yes that was me on the IrishWAN forum:) I getting the impression that I am the only person in Ballygarrett that is interested in Broadband there.
    Remember that IrishWAN isn't a commercial organization - it's a grass-roots voluntary body, helping people to "share the wealth". It sounds like Brendan is trying to get a new access point up that you might be able to get access to, but nobody at IrishWAN is going to say "give me €30/month, and we'll sort everything out for you".

Once Brendan gets the new Access Point up, he'll be happy to help you figure out whether you can reach it. But you'll have to buy your own gear (with advice from other IrishWAN users) and get it set up. And because you'll be sharing someone elses bandwidth, there may be limits to what you can do. As for whether XBox will work, there's no technical reason why it couldn't, but nobody is going to guarantee that it will work for you.

Thanks RipWave

• Advertisement

Hey Moriarty you wouldnt happen to know what is the cheapest sattelite broadband service?

I wouldn't have a clue, sorry. Theres a post in the FAQ in the stickied threads at the top of this forum about satellite services, but I don't know how up to date they are at the moment :/

In any case, satellite is a last - I repeat last - resort. It really is very crap for a lot of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Bit impatient here? ;). I said a month or so....you've been without it till now, another month wont matter will it? ;) Your xbox wouldnt work right over satellite at all - you'd be talking about 1 second on average ping times, and nobody on the sew has tried an xbox before so thus we cant say if it'll work or not.

Sorry Brendan Im just excited about high speed internet because I have been using a dial up for 4 years now and I tryed ISDN and it was ok but quite expensive so I went back to the dial up which is really crap. (can I say crap in this forum?) And anyway I have got all the answers I want so I wont bother you again. Just give me a shout whenever it is possible to be connected to the WAN (if it ever is possible).
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

As I've said, it will be, but I can never give you an exact day, or make false claims like some companies may. ;) It is hoped that the accesspoint which you say you can probably see will be ready in a month or so, but it could be longer or even shorter, but I just cant say because I just dont know as so many unexpected things can happen in this hobby. :)

Advertisement