Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

classic car restoration

Options
  • 23-07-2004 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

right....need a bit of help here

i've been given a 1976 Triumph Dolomite by a friend. its been lying idle at her place for almost three years now before that she used to drive it all the time.

i'm guessing the engine needs a bit of work...plus some of the pannelling is a little rusty

anyone know of garages in the dublin area that could help me out? who much do you reckon i'll have to spend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭seaghdhas

Hmmm, if I had sandpaper, primer and a can of paint. And a bit of space, all the relevant literature and all the spare time in the world.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is a fella on the way to Celbridge (on RHS before the new Dept. of Ag building):-
    Clandillon Classic Cars
    Dublin Road Celbridge
    01 6275842

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I had a quick Google and there is a huge amount of info regarding these cars - take a look on eBay - there is everything you need - start by buying a workshop manual. Clandillon are very good, however the cost of restoring this car might exceed to cost of buying a mint-condition one elsewhere.

The best advice I can give is to get a mechanic you trust to take a look and appraise the cars condition - it will have to pass an NCT before it reaches its 30th birthday so the work involved might be extensive/expensive.

Good luck,

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

You should get all the parts you need from Rimmer Bros (UK) and there is a the Irish Triumph owners club if you need more info - and I can lend you an engine hoist, torque wrench, axle stands and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

What kind of rust damage? Any panels need replacing? Is it just surface rust.

How's the mechanics, id love to take a look.

Get the mechanics done first, you wont lose interest that way, and the body work is a LOT more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Originally posted by Merrion
    You should get all the parts you need from Rimmer Bros (UK) and there is a the Irish Triumph owners club if you need more info - and I can lend you an engine hoist, torque wrench, axle stands and the like.

thanks for the offer Merrion...but a wise man once said " if you dont know how to fix a car....get a man in"

i think i'll have to call in the experts....or else it'll be like that father ted episode where theres a dent on the car

"i'll just give it a little tap with the hammer....."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Fair enough - but be wary of the cost. I am having afull nuts and bolts restoration done on my Triumph GT6 and it's getting up around the €15k range. JWG Engineering in the UK are doing the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

giftgrub,

how rusty is the car? Simply,cost will depend on what you want to do with it and condition of the car.

Soon as we finish body work on current car , I can have look at your Dolomite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

theres not a huge amount of rust

a little on the boot and at the base of the doors, i'm not very mechanically minded, but my friend who gave me the car says the engines are very simple and easy to fix

i'm in work now but i'll post a pic over the weekend if i can get my hands on a digital camera

where are you based Gmodified? do you do house calls :D

if you are interedted in taking a look PM me.

to be honest any real work will probably have to wait a few months..we're off on holls soon so the bank account is in for a good bashing

• Advertisement
Advertisement