Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

linux & usb cable for eircom's netopia modem

• 23-07-2004 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi, I just had eircom broadband installed this week, with the netopia modem, which offers the option of connecting to the computer via either an ethernet or a usb cable.
    I want to use the usb cable to connect to the computer, so as to allow me to use the ethernet port in the modem to plug in a wireless access point.
    But I have a problem. The cd with the drivers/software necessary for the usb connection is only compatible with Windows/Mac, and our system is linux (RedHat Enterprise to be specific).
    I've tried using some of the drivers that came with our distribution but they aren't working. I'm just wondering if anyone else has managed to do this - i.e. set up a usb -> router/modem connection on linux - and if so, could they maybe help me out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

All of the drivers supplied on disk are for Windows\Mac. However, something in thi search should be of help to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

Appreciate that doodle_sketch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

For ****'s sake, man, get a hub. If you're using Linux, you must be aware of the advantages of Ethernet vs USB for this kind of thing.

They only cost this much new, post in the Wanted board or have a look on eBay if you want to spend less. The hassle saved will be more than worth the money spent in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DSLC

Yes, point taken. I've done as you suggested, and it's working fine. Thank you.

Advertisement