Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work related problems

Options
  • 23-07-2004 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I got my nostril pierced, with ring, 4 days ago. I went in to work for my first time since then tonight. I work part time as a waiter and they told me to go home and not come back till my nose was "back to normal". I quickly went to my nearest piercing place and told them, they had to break my ring to get it off, the woman made me a retainer out of some kind of plastic wire and said that it would keep the hole open, will it? its quite thin and i just cant see how it will work. Thay also gave me a new ring for my nose, but it is to big (not sure exactly what size). They charged me nothing which was very nice of them.
    What i want to know is, will the "retainer" keep my piercing open & how bad is it to be cahnging jewallry before your wound is healed?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

should be grand, they them ****ers to go **** themselve :P

i used a retainer while workin in dunnes, obv it will be a bitch changin every day ,might irritate it a bit, nothing too big,

tis great be aloud wear all my piercings anytime, just have to get greaf from my boss from looking stupid n making fun of me,
    thats all i gotta put up with
    :)

my piercings [seeable] inc. nape lip,eyebrow, tongue.

boss is cool

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's unlikely it'll work. New piercings need to have steel or titanium jewellery in them or they just won't heal properly. You shouldn't use a retainer until the hole is completely healed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

etho, when i worked in dunnes i got it done and 2days later i was popping in the retainer, irritated the skin a bit for the first few days but after that it was grand, itll just take a little longer to heal i suppose

Well that's lucky for you but you're recommended to always heal a piercing with metal jewellery. I put a retainer in my monroe piercing about 3 months after I got it done, and it irritated the hell out of it, had to lose the piercing altogether because of it :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

im having problems in work aswell, i got a retainer, but its a pain in the ass, very awkward to get into my lip as one of the pieces is TINY. im worried its gonna irritate my lip, i only got it done in may, but no problems so far. however im the only one in work being made wear one, and there are others with piercings. one of the supervisors has his eyebrow pierced and wears the jewellery all the time, and a few girls have their noses pierced.

while working with food its actually a hygiene thing to not be allowed have piercings with jewellery, so its not just your boss being a bitch like mine :rolleyes: :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Was your nose completly healed? Maybe he just didn't want some guy with a big red nose full of pus in front of the customers. From the way you're talking though, it is your boss being a git.

I know that when you're preparing food your not supposed to wear jewellery. This covers everything from necklaces and watches to piercings. I've no idea what the law is with regard to serving food.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Seraphina wrote:
    while working with food its actually a hygiene thing to not be allowed have piercings with jewellery, so its not just your boss being a bitch like mine :rolleyes: :(

Is that actually law or is it just something made up by employers as an excuse? I'd say it was definitely the latter when considering that it's acceptable to have pierced ears when dealing with food!!

BaZmO* wrote:
    Is that actually law or is it just something made up by employers as an excuse? I'd say it was definitely the latter when considering that it's acceptable to have pierced ears when dealing with food!!

It's likely they're covering themselves in case they get sued by a customer who finds a labret ball in their coleslaw.
    I don't like being served in a deli by someone with loads of rings and jewellery on myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eth0_ wrote:
    It's likely they're covering themselves in case they get sued by a customer who finds a labret ball in their coleslaw.
    I don't like being served in a deli by someone with loads of rings and jewellery on myself.

Yeah but that's the point that I'm making. It has nothing to do with hygeine it's merely a case of aesthetics. Cos in all fairness, it'd be just as easy for an ear ring to fall into their coleslaw as a labret ball!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

They're the ones employing you, if you feel that strongly about wearing your piercings to work go find a job that accepts it.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    Yeah but that's the point that I'm making. It has nothing to do with hygeine it's merely a case of aesthetics. Cos in all fairness, it'd be just as easy for an ear ring to fall into their coleslaw as a labret ball!

That's very true. It's not fair that they have one rule for people with 'conventional' piercings and another for those with more than just their ears pierced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭LilyMon

Can someone tell me where Dragon tattoo studio is located exactly?
    Thanks

Advertisement