Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant acces internet with firewall turned on

Options
  • 23-07-2004 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

When my fire wall (norton internet secrity) is turned on i can't acces the net, with it disabled it works fine! Anyone know what could be wrong?
    I let it scan for programs and give internet explorer permision but no luck.
    I have windows Xp home and a modem connection to the net.
    Thanks

Paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

A friend of mine also has norton internet security, and i spent hours trying to troubleshoot it and his hardware firewall, trying to get programs to work.

Of course, he wouldn't let me disable either of them, so that only one was active at any one time, so it was a huge PITA to diagnose.

When trying to troubleshoot NOrton, i found the interface very clunky. There was no screen where a list of ALL the rules was held. You had to keep dodging between several different areas in the program, trying to see what is blocking what, and where the rule was.

In the end, we found that his program was being blocked because norton put it in the trojan rules for some reason, and blocked it.

My advice, the easiest thing to do is dump norton, and get Kerio Personal Firewall or Sygate firewall (a bit easier to use) and use those. They both keep all the rules on one page, thus making it a lot easier to troubleshoot.

Anyway, in Norton, look for a rule blocking SVCHOST, i don't know where in the world it could be in nortont, but you have to let SCVHOST access the internet. Other than that, i don't know what norton is blocking, so i don't know. Kerio would show a nice list of all the rules, making it dead easy to find whats being blocked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Norton sucks. Tell him to uninstall it and put in the Zone Alarm or something. I work for...a well known electrical retailer...who's pushing Norton and MacAfee right now and nearly half the people who buy it come back in with some sort of problem, be it Norton changing the boot.ini (so Windows won't even boot up) or even something arcane like the firewall freezing the machine every time a new program needs access.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

@pado - does it only happen with internet explorer....i mean will it work with other protocals like email, outlook work, msn messenger?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

mutant_fruit: wtf does your friend need norton's firewall turned on for if he has a separate software firewall?

slap him round the head

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I've been using norton for ages now, has blocked plenty of things for me!
    Never any probs with it.
    I installed it on pado's pc, went like it did on mine but the internet just wouldn't work, outlook or messenger didn't work either.
    I connect via a network and router to the net (adsl) and he is dial-up maybe thats it?
    Anyone with sugestions?

Jozi

• Advertisement
Advertisement