Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel Tribes now Broadcasting :(

Options
  • 06-05-1999 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

I've got a wee situation needing sorting..it's a longish story but bare wiv me!

About a week ago I changed motherboards in my ould p166 to run my celery 400, about the same time the weather got better (ya know that yellow ball thing came out !) so a few wavy lines on the telly went unnoticed..

Now to my problem, last night I was in a local pub buying some tinnies and noticed the same sorta interfearance.... and then in one of those dark tv moments I noticed something that looked very like a Tribes INV station ghosting on the screen ... ?? says I, sure enuf there it was Broadside Flagroom INV station as left on my PC.

'Holy fuking chr1st on a bloody honda' says I as I leg it down the road... trying to figure if anyone put 2 & 2 together (ya know the obsessive channel tuning kinda loonies around)..well, no group of tar totin locals waiting outside so I figure I is safe for the moment.

So my setup, I(WAS) feeding my PC's video / sound out through a TV tuner and redirecting it through the co-ax through the house (watch the ould Quake demos from me armchair ! wink.gif ) now I know that my old setup gave me no interfearence, whether I was just sending out a better picture I couldent tell ya, but now even with the TV cable disconnected I get the interfearence (no picture though)(btw. it goes when I power down) so I reckon my problem boils down to RF shielding.. My PC case is one of those Gateway tower jobbies with a full metal case inside, all my backplates are secure, there is a huge mess of wires but thats normal..

What I'm looking for is suggestions and I don't really want to build a faraday cage to US military Tempest standards.

could the RF emmisions be coming from the Voodoo pass thru cable ? (have me doubts), maybe using the phone line as a big antenna (I'm leaning this way) or something else..

suggestions.. links.. tv guides etc all welcome..

YuM

ps. its graded as class B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

Brit,

Tiz an external pc to TV converter which is then routed through a 3 way splitter amp there is also a few local feedback loops allowing video to fed back into the house wiring.. (watch me vids / sat in bed etc) as for antenna'a theres the usual type + a fuk off size mesh MMDS dish thingie..

TV detector ppl wink.gif ppl round here would takes them 4 revenue ppl... very messy.. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

prob some of the best TV seen in letrim for years smile.gif you could have a pay per view tribes channel .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i also hope you don't frequent any dodgy sites smile.gif now that'd fairly pack the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I'm calling the IRTC now!!

ROFL RooKIE!

J.
    --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Brit

"also a few local feedback loops allowing video to fed back into the house wiring.. "

Well, there's your problem then - you're whole freaking house is a Tribes' transmitter. There must be miles of copper wiring inside the average semi, and you're using it to broadcast your PC to the masses..

Lol.

--Brit--

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

I really REALLY don't want to hear that...
    It's been setup like that for over 6 months.

I'm beginning to twitch just thinking bout some of the crap thats passed thru my screen..

/me runs out to buy sh1tloads of tinfoil, metallic paint and lash together a static RF generator...

YuM

Friday nite Tribes 1 available now on video ! wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭clanless_Coyote

And people in RL wonder why the internet is so addictive.....

This is better than any TV I've ever watched, in fact this could be the basis for a good Cronenberg film smile.gif

Best of luck with the signal hunt!

Regards,

[clanless]Coyote
    "Abandon All Hope!"

btw - which pub is now getting channel TRIBES among other *cough* personal favourites?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

on the other hand, maybe the locals willall rush out and buy themselves new puters and a copy of tribes thanks to your 'subliminal' messaging.

-hello
    -hello
    -can i have a pc please
    -certainly sir, what sort?
    -any that'll play tribes.
    -heres a fine one.
    -thatll do. by the way, ya dont have a copy of playboy do ya?
    -i beg your pardon sir?
    nevermind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Brit

Sounds to me like the phone line. All cases (esp. Gateway ones) which support ATX Form factor, and the various pass through connectors/leads are built to standard BABT RF Emission standards, and would not be responsible for the phenomenon you are experiencing.

The fact that you can pick this up in the pub too shows that a)your signal strength is reasonably strong, and b)an aerial of some not inconsiderable length is being employed.

It could also be a pass-over (no Jewish gags please) between your video and TV-out card. I'd check for dodgy wiring inside the case.

I have heard of some particularly weird getups which have resulted in a loopback feature within the pass throughs, generating enough RF to consistute a low yield transmission. Check for dodgy leads.

You may also wish to stop piping your signal through the local HF transmitter smile.gif

Right, enough - I'm off to phone the TV detection people. I'm gonna have you done sunshine and you're going daaaa-n.

--Brit--

Advertisement