Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SG1, Season 8, Episode 3: Lockdown [Spoilers]

Options
  • 24-07-2004 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Well the first of u should be getting ur vidio tapes mailed over in the next few hours. i posted this so i can add a poll. i like polls with new eisodes.

Rate This Episode 17 votes

Amazing
    0% 0 votes
    Good
    17% 3 votes
    Ok
    41% 7 votes
    Bad
    41% 7 votes
    You Wasted 44 Mins of My Life And I Want Them Back
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I'm not sure whether or not I actually liked this. I was pretty happy leaving the story where it had ended previously. This episode left no closure whatsoever and left wide open the possibility of
    Anubis' return

I like the new doctor, even if she's an obvious Teryl Rothery replacement.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Wasn't too fond of this one. The whole possession storyline is a very tired-staple of sci-fi, and we've already seen faked personalities before on SG1 (and not just with the Goa'uld). Suppose it's best to look at it from a few points:

* Obviously, we have Anubis' return. Now I dunno - isn't this pushing it a bit? Fair enough, his ascension means he should be harder to kill than the likes of Apophis or Sokar, but he's now less of a threat than ever. If he's meant to be possibly coming back in future, it's going to be hard for him to build up forces. If he's actually finished off here, then it seems a bit of a letdown to freeze him after the final battle last season...

* Doctor Brightman does indeed seem to be a bit of a Teryl Rothery Mark II, although I haven't warmed to her quite as much. Those of you missing Rothery, by the way, will be pleased to know that she makes an appearance in 2x02 and 2x03 of Showtime's Dead Like Me.

* Some flawed logic appeared in the episode, or so it seemed to me: For example
    - Knowing Anubis' desire to dial out, shouldn't they have physically detached all power and access to the gate until the problem was resolved? If they felt they needed it for emergency purposes, then why was the gate room empty at the end - surely there should be many armed men (as normal) on the ready to stop the very real threat of an intruder.
    - Why didn't Anubis-as-Sam 'zat Daniel twice (or three times)? Knowing the real problems Daniel (and others) have caused in the past, why not take this great opportunity to kill them? After all there's no reason not to when they were making the last dash for freedom.
    - How was Carter able to over-ride a *Brigadiers* auto-destruct countdown with such ease? Or how was she so quickly able to insert an alternate dialling sequence? Okay with respect to the latter, she probably has some hand in the dialling software but she shouldn't be able to so easily cessate the countdown (can anyone remember the protocols involved in the previous time they had the countdown?) SG1 has always had respect for the concept of chain of command, and military structure, but this seemed to ignore it.

Now from my list of nits above, it would seem I disliked the episode. That's not the case. I just felt it was a tad derivative. I imagine they needed to cut costs here after blowing a huge sum of cash on the openers for both Stargate shows, so they decided to do something like this. And there were some nice continuity touchs (as Mallozi and Mullie do) such as a nod to the Russian involvement, and some nice humour moments (Jack's complaints about the potatoes) but... I hope it's a little bit better next week (or maybe I was just too spoilt with the opening).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Why didn't Anubis just go on a killing spree until there was no-one left to stop him going through the gate?

Not a great episode, but it was better than SGA's effort this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I knew it was anubis from the start when he was on the ship
    cant they give the russian guy tratonin?
    ok ok big problem why didnt anubis leave and take over the presdiants body?
    or thebhead of NID, or the promethus captain.????
    Yes as above lots of problems with this episode but it was still good. might have been better if anubis when he was in ppl hge had his gou`auld voice.

Ok so anubis is still alive and he is still around

Last time anubis accended it took him 1000 years to build up his forces to what they where. Anubis wont be back for some time unless he takes over ball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Personally, I thought this was an excellent episode. My one gripe was that Anubis would have most-likely killed Daniel and the others with the Zat, but apart from that, I was thoroughly impressed. Actually, now that I think about it, I would have thought closing the iris on the gate at the end would have been a more effective way of containing Anubis, but its possible that they'd come to the conclusion that trapping him was a futile exercise.

I'm glad they continued the story of Anubis - I think he was one of the more fearsome enemies they've developed during the time of the show. During the episode, he displayed some of the traditional Goa'uld characteristics of possession, implying that the same rules applied to him, despite being a non-corporial entity. From this, I think we can conclude that it would be impossible for him to inhabit the body of an existing Goa'uld, such as Ba'al. Still, all the work he'd done in the past 2 years assembling his forces has now effectively been undone. He has no power among the system lords, and I think we'll see him operate much differently in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

*bump*

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

User45701 wrote:
    ok ok big problem why didnt anubis leave and take over the presdiants body?

If he left the base the big ol ancients would have gotten him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

no they wouldent have they would have only gotten him if he used his powers to make ppl go boom

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Shush

Advertisement