Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi Fares

• 24-07-2004 2:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭

Don't know where this post should go so mods feel free to move it.

Myself and a mate were out tonight, now we got a taxi home after a few pints in the pub. I live about 7 miles from the taxi office and my mate got off at the same stop. Usually I am charged in the region of €10 - €14 (which itself is a big variation depending on driver/company). Now the guy that brought us home tonight seemed fine - we were having the chat and the craic on the way but when we got to the door he asked us for €16. He says he brought four people to this address before and charged €16 - I say there is only two of us tonight. My mate gave a tenner and I gave all the change in my arse pocket - €4.65. Taxi man says no good - so I take back the change and give him a fiver. Taxi man says this is unacceptable - the fee is €16. So I says 'fu[k off - take what you're given' ie €15 and I walks away - now the taxi man yells out the window "You'll never get a taxi from us again" and speeds off.

What is the situation here? how can I combat this attempted robbery?? Can I report him to anyone, if so, whom?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I guess then you didn't get a printed receipt from him then...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

If in dublin probably (is there set rates?) but the guards arent going to give a crap about a taxi driver overcharging you by 2 euro.

Down the country as there are no set rates for most taxi companies, afaik the taxi driver can reprot you for not paying him what he's owed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

What a wanker!:mad:, but I don't see how he can enforce that crap he came out with so I wouldn't let it bother you - anyway you paid 15 out of the 16 what's wrong with him?:dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

No robbie1876 - no printed receipt!
    :rolleyes:

gogo - no set rates down the country
    but expect some kind of consistency! I know the guards arent going to give a crap about a taxi driver overcharging by 2 euro but that isn't the point - I thought the attitude was very ****ed up - I'm not disputing the legality - more my consumer rights.
    afaik the taxi driver can reprot you for not paying him what he's owed.
    - just try it!
    OfflerCrocGod - What a wanker!
    - indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Most of the cab companies here in Limerick are Set-price. you can pick up a little card with all the prices on it.

its nice to know how much it is going to cost before you get into the cab. I'm lucky i am living in town and i have a taxi base on the same street as me. but if i am visiting relatives in another part of the city i know it is going to cost me €4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I hate to point out that the "Set-price" is a load of bollox. If the taxi driver doesn't turn on the meter then he is breaking the law. However I'm sure if he did turn o the meter it'd be a hell of a lot more then €16. So in short stop moaning. Some taxi drivers are nice by charging 10, some aren't quite so nice by charging 14 and yer man last night was the least nice of them. by charging you 16. However I'm sure if the meter was on you'd be paying more. Essentially you are at fault for not telling him to turn on the meter. And you are also at fault for walking away when he told you it was 16 euro.

The reason meter were introduced was to regulate the charging in taxi's.

That is all

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

There weren't always meters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

No, they only brought them in by law a few years back. before then alot of taxi's had them but might not always turn them on. Especially if the were carrying some one they knew, and then charged a price. EG, €16 when it'd probably be €20 oin the meter.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by dannyd20
    What is the situation here? how can I combat this attempted robbery?? Can I report him to anyone, if so, whom?
    You might report him to the Carriage Office for overcharging, but then again, based on your bolshie attitude it might be a case of him reporting you for fare evasion.

Where were you coming from and going to and at what hour?

I've actually noticed a lot of Dublin taxi drivers under-charging.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Was it a taxi or a hackney? If it was a taxi he was breaking the law by not having his meter on (unless you are outside the Dublin taxi meter area and agree a set price before setting off). If it was a hackney it's usually based on mileage and they have a rate card where x miles = x euros. Others have a flat fee depending on where you're going, so for example it would be the same price to the nearest part to town of Tallaght as it would be to the furthest. I usually find that hackneys are nothing like the good value that people make them out to b. At least if I'm in a taxi I know what the meter will roughly show and I don't get any nasty surprises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

It was a hackney. I was going from the cab office in Clonmel to my home which is about 7 miles out of town. It was about 2am.

Oh and my 'bolshie attitude' was due to the fact I felt I was being ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by dannyd20
    It was a hackney. I was going from the cab office in Clonmel to my home which is about 7 miles out of town. It was about 2am.

Oh and my 'bolshie attitude' was due to the fact I felt I was being ripped off.
    You should have asked how much it would cost before you got in....

Advertisement