Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dubs All Ireland

• 24-07-2004 9:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

what do yis think of the dubs chance of reaching the All Irelanbd Semi-Final, I reckon with the right result against roscommon and maybe a draw against mayo its a real possibility, but would have to admit I can see SAM heading north of the border again..............

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

Get a grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I'm predicting the Dubs to beat Ros. What happens after that will
    very much depend on the draw. I think they could get past Mayo
    in Croker, although it will be a much tougher game for Dublin and
    will depend on how Mayo play really. If they meet any of the
    other provincial finalists (they cant meet Westmeath I understand),
    so that would be Armagh or Kerry, I wouldn't favour them at all.

As so much depends on the draw, we'll just have to wait.

Thirdmantackle is right (!) for once ... ;-) ..... steady on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

spider I dont thik its fair to accuse TMT of being right. All he said was get a grip.
    The dubs will beat the rossies and to be honest Im not afraid of kerry anymore.

however Kerry are still better than us and armagh seems to be way out infornt of everyone. Its wait and see, looking forward to a real test for the dubs !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Dublin aren't good enough to win the all ireland. Its going up North. again. When dublin finally play somebody who can play football they'll loose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

dont get me wrong im a realist i think the very best the dubs will do is reach a semi final, maybe next year with tommy gone things might improve, believe me i have a grip on it..... im not some mad stark raving lunatic, i dont think so anyway.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

This is why I wanted them put out of their misery last week. Dublin get a few easy draws and all of a sudden their going to win the all-ireland! As i've said before the sooner they get beaten and we start talking about a team with a real chance of winning the all-ireland the better.

and no that wasn't intended to be humerous :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

That is a bit of an overreaction to someone asking can they make it to the semi's imposter. Lets face it the Rossie's have looked poor so far against Mayo, Letrim and Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

dublin have had it easy so far, losing to westmeath and then beating the likes off london, longford and letrim, none of who are world beaters so you have to be realistic, if dublin get past roscommon i cant see them beating mayo as they are really on top form this year beating my own county and rightly so.
    Sam is prob heading to armagh or tyrone though

Originally posted by Waylander
    That is a bit of an overreaction to someone asking can they make it to the semi's imposter. Lets face it the Rossie's have looked poor so far against Mayo, Letrim and Sligo.
    I think ye might get over Roscommon but it's by no means certain. Then the only provencial winners ye've a chance against is Mayo and again it would come down to luck with them.

Im not confident in dublins chances after roscommon either but this is the championship and anything can happen. Limerick could be munster chaps right now if things had gone a little differently, now they have been dumped out by derry ...

dubline will be put out of there misery when there is a team good enough to do it. and imposter i can assure there is no one getting over confident in dublin. the only people talking dubline and All Irelands are culchies trying to stur things up IMO

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Alany
    the only people talking dubline and All Irelands are culchies trying to stur things up IMO
    imo it's the medja. Na Dublin with a bit of luck could make the semis but they're not one of the best 4 or 5 teams left imo.

In other news westmeath have gone from 20-1 last week to 10-1 for Sam since yesterday (Paddy Power). The dubs are at 12-1 atm. Laois are back to 25-1.
    I think that's a big jump for westmeath seeing as Laois et all are still in there. Lucky I got 5€ on last week even if it's a bet from the heart and not from the head!

The feeling in Roscommon is that we don't really have much of a chance seeing as how poor morale is in the camp and in the county too. But never write us off cause we usually produce a performance just when nothing is expected. I'm sure the players will be up for this game as they've been written off already and now that Tommy Carr is under some pressure to win this game he might pick a decent team and play the likes of Grehan and Casey in their best positions.

If we get a few things right on the day we can beat the Dubs. Both teams are about even

I agree Roscommon are capable of beating the dubs, but I would have the dubs down as slight favourites. It really depends on which Dublin turns up on the day.

yeah infairness I think the rossies can beat dublin but I doubt it.

What odds on Fermanagh to win the all ireland ? They are looking good, playing some very nice football

Originally posted by Alany
    What odds on Fermanagh to win the all ireland ? They are looking good, playing some very nice football
    Armagh 5 - 2
    Kerry 5 - 2
    Tyrone 4 - 1
    Mayo 7 - 1
    Westmeath 10 - 1
    Derry 11 - 1
    Dublin 12 - 1
    Fermanagh 20 - 1
    Laois 25 - 1
    Roscommon 50 - 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Dublin v Roscommon will be close. Recent league games between the two have mostly been close affairs. Dublin should be slight favourites, but only slight.

If the Dubs did win, probably the best draw for the Dubs would be Kerry. Armagh would certainly be the worst. Mayo have been more impressive than Kerry so far, but the teams are probably about even. We owe Kerry one, we'd go in as massive underdogs, we'd definitely produce our best performance, and we might have a chance of winning.

The bonus of beating Kerry would be that we'd avoid Ulster in the semis. Hopefully Westmeath will draw Fermanagh or Derry, and not Tyrone. A Westmeath v Dublin semi would be winnable for both teams. Either would probably get hammered in the final, but you never know..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Under new guidelines the GAA have issued a new rule. The Basic guide lines are as follows:- As from the 25th of June when Dublin make a sub they do not have to take any player off. Australian Rules' Goals will be introduced, these will be swapped from end to end depending which way the GAA...whoops I mean, which way Dublin are playing.

Teams playing Dublin may not travel to the game on Bus, but via the Iraqi Triathlon.

In the Qualifier "Draw" Dublin must play a team of their choosing. If they don`t fancy their chances against those remaining teams, they must play a team of women who are all called Deborah.

In the event of the match being level after 70 minutes Dublin will win.

A new backdoor will be introduced, if Dublin lose, they will be out into the Backdoor, if they lose again they may Join the Championship again at the time and date of their choosing.

The Dublin goalkeeper may wear rather large comical gloves, to ensure that the ball does not go past him. A Sin-Bin will be introduced - If any opposing players names begin with Mc (e.g. McCarthy / McGrath) they will be suspended for a period until Dublin are winning.

Hill 16 will be renamed "The Bulmers Hill".

If Dublin win the "Mini Sevens" game at half time, their winning margin will be Doubled and added to Dublin's half time score.

All other teams must have the County Name wrote in the foreign language of English on their jerseys - all money from this rip off trick must be given to the "Bulmers Hill Support Fund" If Dublin are drawn against a team from Ulster ( Now to include Laois ) - The Ulster Team will forfeit the game.

As part of the deal giving Laois to Ulster, Fermanagh will now join the Leinster Championship - Dublin will be drawn to play Fermanagh in the Hurling Championship ever year.

In a rule taken from cricket - If it rains during the game Dublin will win.

Opposing teams must wear sandals.

Ginger haired midfielders may not play against Dublin.

Balloons (Such as those used to aid children playing bowls) will be used to assist the Dublin free takers.

Dessie Dolan must take all the opposing teams frees.

The opposition must include at least one Mayo forward.

Any other county wearing the colour blue will forfeit the game to Dublin.

;)

I think we'd take Dessie Dolan and one of those Mayo forwards right now... Say Keiran McDonald maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Originally posted by midget lord
    Under new guidelines the GAA have issued a new rule. The Basic guide lines are as follows:- As from the 25th of June when Dublin make a sub they do not have to take any player off. Australian Rules' Goals will be introduced, these will be swapped from end to end depending which way the GAA...whoops I mean, which way Dublin are playing.

Teams playing Dublin may not travel to the game on Bus, but via the Iraqi Triathlon.

In the Qualifier "Draw" Dublin must play a team of their choosing. If they don`t fancy their chances against those remaining teams, they must play a team of women who are all called Deborah.

In the event of the match being level after 70 minutes Dublin will win.

A new backdoor will be introduced, if Dublin lose, they will be out into the Backdoor, if they lose again they may Join the Championship again at the time and date of their choosing.

The Dublin goalkeeper may wear rather large comical gloves, to ensure that the ball does not go past him. A Sin-Bin will be introduced - If any opposing players names begin with Mc (e.g. McCarthy / McGrath) they will be suspended for a period until Dublin are winning.

Hill 16 will be renamed "The Bulmers Hill".

If Dublin win the "Mini Sevens" game at half time, their winning margin will be Doubled and added to Dublin's half time score.

All other teams must have the County Name wrote in the foreign language of English on their jerseys - all money from this rip off trick must be given to the "Bulmers Hill Support Fund" If Dublin are drawn against a team from Ulster ( Now to include Laois ) - The Ulster Team will forfeit the game.

As part of the deal giving Laois to Ulster, Fermanagh will now join the Leinster Championship - Dublin will be drawn to play Fermanagh in the Hurling Championship ever year.

In a rule taken from cricket - If it rains during the game Dublin will win.

Opposing teams must wear sandals.

Ginger haired midfielders may not play against Dublin.

Balloons (Such as those used to aid children playing bowls) will be used to assist the Dublin free takers.

The opposition must include at least one Mayo forward.

Any other county wearing the colour blue will forfeit the game to Dublin.

;)

but that would mean that the gaa are biased in favour of dublin but thats not possible. i mean why would they be biased towards dublin?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Originally posted by midget lord

Harsh.

It's obvious that the famous miss only happens to make the eventual famous winning free kick all the more special. Expect Dolan to get a chance to redeem himself in the closing stages of a big match fairly soon.

• Advertisement

I like Dessie. Lovely footballer and seems like a great guy. But important late frees are not his thing (not that I can think of any in Leinster who'd be any better). Dolan had a kick very late on v Laois to make the game safe and missed again. That would have been highlighted a lot more had Fitzgerald found the net with his last gasp glorious goal chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Dessie has shown great strength in character to be able to come back from such a miss and be even better. I will never forget that though. I was right behind the goal and cried with laughter, i couldnt believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Lets face it the Rossie's have looked poor so far against Mayo, Letrim and Sligo.
    I agree but they've shown little bits of football in the Sligo and Leitrim games. Hindsight is a great thing but not many people had Roscommon to win up in Sligo the second day.

The Dubs are in danger of been extremely over-confident going into this game. To be honest I fancy Roscommon

The Dubs are in danger of been extremely over-confident going into this game. To be honest I fancy Roscommon

Trust me if there is one thing the dubs are not guilty of this season it is over confidence. Wee have lost the only tough game we have played and we are well aware of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Jaysus the paranoia. Dublin are being hindered by getting these walkover draws, not helped - they've had no decent game since Westmeath (a great 1st half and what a disaster that 2nd half was). That won't help when they hit decent opposition.

I'm a Dublin, Mayo fan (in that order, being a half-caste). Don't know if either of them will manage to get to the final, and I think the standard of football up the north is a level above where we're at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

My father and his two brothers, all from Roscommon are in the house as I type. I, on the other hand, am a Dubliner, so the battle lines have clearly been drawn. Fortunately we not going out together tonight, so hostilities will probably not begin in earnest until tomorrow, by which time my nephew will have arrived as re-inforcements. We also have a Welsh woman and a Galway woman here tonight who should be able to keep the peace! Come on the Dubs! :)

Well the Dublin side of the house is happy tonight. No Kerry relations, so it is full steam for Dublin now. I think we can beat Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

happy enough witth the kerry draw myself , but the strenght of ulster football was on show in that draw , 4 ulster teams out of nine still there.

4 out of 8 now. At least one - Armagh or Fermanagh - is guaranteed to go out at the next stage. Us Dubs are still well in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ciarann

Dubli will beat Kerry.they were up for it against rosco and they will love a short at kerry.kerry wont want to play Dublin so if we can box them around early on and get the sloopy heads of us at the back we can do it as for Armagh yes there a good team but Dublin are one team who can take them on a off day.come on the Dubs :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ciarann

Dublin will beat Kerry.they were up for it against rosco and they will love a short at kerry.kerry wont want to play Dublin so if we can box them around early on and get the sloopy heads of us at the back we can do it as for Armagh yes there a good team but Dublin are one team who can take them on a off day.come on the Dubs :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

ciarann wrote:
    Dublin will beat Kerry.they were up for it against rosco and they will love a short at kerry.kerry wont want to play Dublin so if we can box them around early on and get the sloopy heads of us at the back we can do it as for Armagh yes there a good team but Dublin are one team who can take them on a off day.come on the Dubs :o

:rolleyes:
    Sorry but I cannot see anything but a Kerry victory here. Although if Dublin do win they are on what could be considered the easier side of the draw. As for Armagh there are much better teams than Dublin who stand a much better chance against Armagh ;)

Dublin so if we can box them around early on
    Name one Dublin player that could put it up to Kerry physically!! Your raving. Even Cooper would boss the Dubs around!
    they were up for it against rosco
    Were they? I only seen one player up for it. Roscommon at least 60% of possession the last day. I'd nearly predict MFRussell and Cooper to score 1-5 each from play the next day alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

i have big doubts about the dublin fullback line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Name one Dublin player that could put it up to Kerry physically!!

Sherlock.

Recall Cork 95 :)

• Advertisement

My problem is more with the half backs. The opposition seem to be able to carry the ball and run at Dublins defence without too much bother. We need the midfield and half backs to improveonn this. MM, yet again you are letting your bias against Dublin get teh better of you. To say Kerry have the beating og Dublin in every position is a bit much. However, if I recall correctly Tommy Carrr last championship match for Dublin was an All Ireland quarter final replay against Kerry. Three years on I think Tommy Lyons may fall at the same hurdle.

MM, yet again you are letting your bias against Dublin get teh better of you.
    I'm sorry. I really don't have a bias against the Dubs. In fact I think that the further they get the more the excitement and profile the game gets. I just think that this particular Dublin team is off the pace and has probems.
    To say Kerry have the beating og Dublin in every position is a bit much.
    This lark of twisting/inventing other peoples posts is a lark!. Point out exactly where I said this. What I did say in response to CIaran post was that Dublin wouldnt be able to knock Kerry around the place in the first 10 minutes as suggested. IMO they wouldnt be able to physically. But neither would westmeath and I would fancy them to beat Kerry if they meet.
    (neither was limerick but should of beat them twice).

I just can't see this Dublin team as having a hope against any team left in the competition. I also really believe that Roscommon left it behind them the last day. They could of easily beaten this "geared up" "point to prove" and in the end unconvincing Dublin team.

Kerry aren't as good as some people are making out. They ahve shown a few weakenesses this. The tie will be a great incentive for both teams. It will be close but I give us a good chance. We are due a win over Kerry.

The Dubs had only one of their six forwards playing up to scratch (oh, how I'd love to have the energy (or knowledge :D ) to dig up all the past posts (from both Dubs and non-Dubs) about how useless Jason is!). Robertson will improve with each game, and the other 4 were all below their usual par.

Our midfield was average and our defence was very shaky. Still we beat the Rossies comfortably. How bad must they be??

Well, Mr. thirdmantackle of Roscommon, who continually puts down the Dublin team, what do you say? Was it sickening to watch your team being beaten by such an over-rated over-hyped bunch of useless Dubs??

The Dubs will go in very much as underdogs against Kerry. If Kerry take us lightly and our lads play as they are capable, an upset cannot be ruled out. Here's hoping for an All Leinster semi final!

Overhyped - yes.

Usless - no.

I never said anywhere thta Dublin are useless - handy enough team but they lack enough quality to beat better teams - as do Roscommon. If we had scored the goals and took our point chances then we would have won. When Ros don't score a goal we are always in trouble. Francie at CF works much better and Casey at CB. Don't see why Jimmy Nail or Gerry Lohan weren't thrown on to grab a goal - again TC not throwing caution to the wind

I think Westmeath will be into an All-Ireland semi final.

• Advertisement

Jason Sherlock has good and bad years. The first time I saw him was playing minor for Dublin in Croke Park. "The little dark lad stood out and he was a great bit of stuff" as we thought then. He played well in 1995 and of course really made his name gettting away from Mark O'Connor and scoring that goal against Cork in the All-Ireland Semi-Final and lived on that for quiet a while. He disappointed for a few years then. He is playing better over the past year or two.

Back in '95 I thought he was over rated and had no real place on a Dublin team. Now even though he has more then likely lost a few yards I think he is a much better player then he was in 1995. Fair dues to him, I have cursed him as loud and as harshly as anyone but over the last two seasons he has shut me up!

Think dubs are developing an Armagh "everyone against us" syndrom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

In my opinion, though they aren't nearly as good this year as others, it'll be Kerry coming out of that particular pairing. There'll be plenty of scores but I think the Kerry firepower will tip the balance in their favour.

Kerry have not been at their best this year.

Think dubs are developing an Armagh "everyone against us" syndrom!

That's very funny, coming from you Mighty Mouse :D:p:D:p:D

That's very funny, coming from you Mighty Mouse
    I dont understand :confused: Did I say everyone was against Roscommon? I don't think I did. Could you point out where I did please?

Jasus this place is becoming worse than the politics forum for twisting peoples posts ;)

Ps. I also never thought Roscommon could win the all-ireland. Unlike some dubs :D

I think his point is that you are permanently shooting your mouth off about how bad a team Dublin are MM, then you accuse us Dubs as having a complex.

Another hilarious post Mighty Mouse :D:D:D

You brighten up my days :cool:

Infairness us dubs has had a "every ones against us" syndrome for some time now.
    To an extent anyway, You see we know there is a large ABD following out there ( made up mainly of the GAC and ref's) but we just get on with it . Unkile others.

MM I think anytime someone doesnt respond directly relating to your exact words you throw your toys outta the cot and jump up and down "word twisters word Twisters"
    People are not always going to respond directly and in context so maybe relax a little ?

Rooster > You will be happy to know that I have taken my best Dubs hat, sprinkled some seasoning on it and eaten it. Jason Sherlock has proved himself this year as dublins best forward ....My comments earlier this year about hime being a Bag of **** were ... hastey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement