Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Mile Wireless

Options
  • 24-07-2004 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Just reading about Kinnegad and Kilbeggan in Westmeath getting funding to do a broadband wireless trial with a company called Last Mile Wireless. Anybod have any experience with this provider? Any thoughts on the technology they're using?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I don't have direct experience with them, in that I haven't had business dealings, but I've spoken to both John and Cyril. My personal opinion is that they are good at what they do and that they have a good attitude.

A couple of this board's regulars have had business dealings with them, and I'm sure they'll tell you more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Have you visited their web site? It is at www.lastmile.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i dont think we've ever had any evidence on boards tho as to what the performance on lastmilwireless is like , ping results to uk and irish servers for example and download speeds. My cousin lives in Clara in County Offally and lastmile is their only option but they are cautious about broadband and wireless in particular not knowing if its going to be good or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

This is the latency to a popular UK game server. I am on their Ballinlough/Ballyhaunis airspan-based network in Mayo. The underlying latency is actually much lower, it's just that the airspan equipment adds latency of its own. Anyway, I think it looks quite good. It has also been very stable--they have a solid network going.

PING clarity.jolt.co.uk (195.149.21.11): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=0 ttl=58 time=75.104 ms
    64 bytes from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=69.442 ms
    64 bytes from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=2 ttl=58 time=79.342 ms
    64 bytes from 195.149.21.11: icmp_seq=3 ttl=58 time=65.699 ms

--- clarity.jolt.co.uk ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 65.699/72.396/79.342 ms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Two (or was it three?) of the lads from Last Mile were at the IrelandOffline AGM, fair dues to them.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Originally posted by Murray
    Just reading about Kinnegad and Kilbeggan in Westmeath getting funding to do a broadband wireless trial with a company called Last Mile Wireless.
    Just to point out that the funding is not for a trial but for a full broadband service.
    Two (or was it three?) of the lads from Last Mile were at the IrelandOffline AGM, fair dues to them.
    It was two, John and Cyril's son (I think). As you said fair play to them for turning up and in fairness to them they left when the discussions got a bit heated regarding the motion to disband as they felt it wasn't appropriate for them to stay.

viking

Advertisement