Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are the 10 best players in the world.

• 24-07-2004 2:44pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just reading a article and I thought it would be a good discussion for here.The journalist is called Chris Sherrard and here is his top 10 (he is english so you no he is going to put there slant on it).But do you agree with him...?

It’s one of those debates which could rage all night, given the chance. Who are the best players in the world today, and in what order should they be ranked? FIFA stick their neck on the line annually to announce who they consider to be the finest three. The same old names have cropped up repetitively in recent years, but is that accurate? Here are the ten players, in order, that I consider to be the finest exponents of the beautiful game at present. Don’t even think about agreeing.
    1 - Ronaldinho

The buck-toothed Brazilian with the bag of tricks almost single-handily transformed Barcelona’s season just gone and has age on his side. If Manchester United had managed to bring him in as Sir Alex Ferguson had wanted then last season’s Premiership title race might have had a different ending. Has got pace, great control and weighs in with more than his share of goals. Ronaldinho has got one of the best attributes any footballer can have and that is the ability to change a game and make things happen.

2 - Zinedine Zidane

The French maestro struggled for his country in the European Championships (the last five minutes against England aside) but remains one of the greatest players in football. He combines the balance of a ballerina, the control of a puppeteer and the grace of a swan. Has done it when it really matters, including goals in the World Cup and Champions League finals. Seems to have been an elder statesman of football for quite a while now but still a player every manager would want in their midfield.

3 - Thierry Henry

The Frenchman has been converted into perhaps the best forward in the game since he has been at Arsenal. There is not much more that can be said about him without repeating past eulogies. That searing pace, close control and eye for goal has marked him out above a lot of his peers. When he is in the mood, as he has been for most of his Highbury career, he is purely and simply unstoppable. The defender who holds Henry in check more times than not is a better man than I have seen.

4 - Ronaldo

Ronaldo has not been playing at his very best for a while now, due to a series of horrendous injuries and one too many trips to the chip shop but that doesn’t disguise the fact that Ronaldo is still one of the best players on this planet. Incredible to think that he is still only in his mid-20s having crammed two World Cup titles, three World Player of the Year awards and a Champions League gong between those injuries and that World Cup final in 1998. Has often spoke of a desire to ply his trade in English football and there are not many who would not want that. He could be the best player in the world again if he really wants to.

5 - Ruud van Nistelrooy

Van Nistelrooy has suffered, for club and country, in recent times from a lack of support and decent Beckham-like crosses but has still managed to get his name on the score sheet at regular intervals which is surely the mark of a top striker. Leads the line for United brilliantly and has quickly made himself into one of the most clinical finishers around. Without wanting to stray into equine territory, for obvious reasons, he is a true thoroughbred with top class staying power and remains one of the most uncontrollable forwards in the game.

6 - Patrick Vieira

The Arsenal captain has been the subject of intense speculation regarding a possible move to Real Madrid, but in truth there are no clubs who would not want him in their team. Was the driving force behind the Gunners’ unbeaten Premiership sequence last season and his presence is key to their future success.

7 - Andrei Shevchenko

Such a shame that the Ukrainian does not get more of an opportunity to show his considerable talents on the very biggest international stages. Has long been the heir to Marco van Basten’s striking throne at Ac Milan and the very fact that he is mentioned in the same breath as the Dutchman is as big a compliment as any striker can have. Scores goals from all angles, gets on the end of crosses or can summon his own chances from nowhere. It’s hard to see his Italian club ever parting with him, such is his contribution.

8 - Pavel Nedved

Nedved showed in the recent European Championships that the Czech skipper is truly up there with the best in his sport. Has the ability to run a game from midfield and is always a threat when running with the ball into an opponent’s half. The reigning European Player of the Year and definitely one that most teams would want in their line-up.

9 - Rio Ferdinand

The case for Ferdinand’s inclusion was made, unusually, by his absence. When he left the Manchester United team they were sitting pretty at the head of the Premiership with the best defensive record in the league. Not long later, they had crumbled at the back and saw Arsenal and Chelsea leapfrog them in the standings. United’s performance without him reflected his importance to them. Probably the best defender in the world when he is on his game and his club will be embracing his return in September with much relief.

10 - Frank Lampard

The Chelsea man sneaks in to the top ten on the back of a brilliant Premiership season for his club and an impressive European Championships for England in which he made few headlines but bagged three goals. Is now a regular for his country which speaks volumes for his progress in recent times. If harnessed in the right way by his new manager, Lampard could go on to make an even bigger name for himself in the game.

how is frank lampard ahead of steven gerrard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Regardless of who is better, Lampard or Gerard.. Neither are that good yet..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Regardless of who is better, Lampard or Gerard.. Neither are that good yet..

I agree neither should be in the top 10 not by a long shoot,maybe in a few years.But IMO Gerard is better than Lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Ronaldinho didn't turn Barcelona's season around, Davids did.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

rio and ruud - how did they get in there thats just crazy.
    steve G has done alot more than lampard and is a better plazer than lampard.

Well Ruud is one of the best out and out strikers in the world.

Ferndinands absence in the United defence for the second half of the season highlighted how good he is. Unless is was just a strange coincidence..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

1. Zinedine Zidane
    2.Ronaldinho
    3.Roy keane
    4.Francesco Totti
    5.Roberto Ayala
    6.Alesssandro Nesta
    7.Pavel Nedved
    8.Pablo Aimar
    9.Ronaldo
    10.Ruud Van Nistelrooy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Van Nistelrooy ripped the record books apart so far in his short enough career. He is easily the best out and out stiker in the world. He does his job and unfortunately for him in the long term he probably won't be down as an all time great as he makes it looks so easy that it doesn't look like he actually does much work. You can't take away his stats though, 68 goals in 93 starts in the premiership and 29 in 33 in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nesta - Ferdinand

Ronaldinho - Keane - Viera - Nedved - Zidane

Ronaldo - Ruud Van Nistelrooy - Shevchenko

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ferdinand
    Silvestre
    Beckham
    Zidane
    Figo
    Ronaldo
    Van Nistelrooy
    Giggs
    Scholes
    Djemba Djemba

Eh lads.. Time to take ur blinkers off....

Henry needs to be there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

1) Ronaldo
    2) Ronaldinho
    3) Zidane
    4) Scholes
    5) Van Nistelrooy/Henry
    6) Vieira/Keane
    7) Davids
    8) Stam
    9) Roberto Carlos
    10) ???

Originally posted by cheesedude

9) Roberto Carlos

Ya takin da piss roight?

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Ya takin da piss roight?

lol. Not at all. I'm a huge fan of his. I am being serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

1. zidane
    2. vieira
    3. henry
    4. van nistelrooy
    5. balde
    6. nesta
    7. duff
    8. ronaldo
    9. ronaldinho
    10. terry

Ronaldinho number 9??? Balde and Duff ahead of Ronaldinho?

wow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

1. Shevchenko
    2. Zidane
    3. Nedved
    4. Puyol
    5. Totti
    6. Zambrotta*
    7. Henry
    8. Tevez
    9. Ronaldinho
    10. Kaká^

* By far the most under rated player on the planet.

^ The best young player in the world, give him 2-3 years he'll have atleats one goldon ball.

How can some of you still have Keane in the tope 10...?maybe 2/3 years ago but he is no were near his best now and to suggest that a 70% Keane is in the top 10 is a joke.

Dont get me wrong a few years ago he would have been my first name on the list,and I am not saying he is past it he is just not in the top 10.

Balde being in the top 10 players in the world has had me wetting my boxers for about 3 hours now....

Smemon you have hit a new low, you really have.

bobo balde is one of the best defenders in the world. he's a human steamroller and i guarantee you the top strikers in the world hate going up against him.

he's invaluable to celtic and is a key part of their success. if a liverpool, utd or arsenal had a defence full of baldes we'd see 0 goals conceded all season. he's one of the best defenders in the world, i kid you not.

by the way my top 10 weren't any particular order, just my 10 best players in the world.

bobo balde in the top ten in the world....I have heard it all now.We all (well most of us) have a soft spot for Celtic but putting bobo balde in the worlds top ten is taken it to far.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Dub13
    How can some of you still have Keane in the tope 10...?maybe 2/3 years ago but he is no were near his best now and to suggest that a 70% Keane is in the top 10 is a joke.
    He seems to think different:

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1144648,00.html

Mourinho would love him.:)

I read that earlier,he is putting it up to everybody.I think Keane knows this will be his last chance for a realy great season.

As for Mourinho my god he is in love with himself,I am looking forward to this season....I think the mind games could be better than the football.

Originally posted by smemon
    bobo balde is one of the best defenders in the world. he's a human steamroller and i guarantee you the top strikers in the world hate going up against him.

he's invaluable to celtic and is a key part of their success. if a liverpool, utd or arsenal had a defence full of baldes we'd see 0 goals conceded all season. he's one of the best defenders in the world, i kid you not.

by the way my top 10 weren't any particular order, just my 10 best players in the world.

Invaluable to Celtic? Yes.... Celtic are a third class club... They play in one of the worst and uncompetitive leagues in professional football...

*beating 4 first class clubs on a one off does not make any difference...

My Top 10:

1. Zidane
    2. Vieira
    3. Henry
    4. Van Nistelrooy
    5. Nedved
    6. Shevchenko
    7. Ronaldo - the real one
    8. Pablo Aimar
    9. Sol Campbell
    10. Ayala

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

1 Nedved
    2 Henry
    3 Ronaldinho
    4 P Viera
    5 Zidane
    6 Van Nistolroy
    7 Kaka - agree with earlier comment superb talent
    8 Nesta
    9 C Ronaldo, not yet but he will be, could be best in world in 5 years
    10 W Rooney, alot to live up too after Euro 2004, exciting talent all the same

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Originally posted by kaids
    Ferdinand
    Silvestre
    Beckham
    Zidane
    Figo
    Ronaldo
    Van Nistelrooy
    Giggs
    Scholes
    Djemba Djemba

i can only assume you are taking the piss

Zidane
    Nedved
    Henry
    Ronaldo
    Ballack
    Gerrard
    Aimar
    Kaka
    Shevchenko
    Ayala

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by donhughberto
    1 Nedved
    2 Henry
    3 Ronaldinho
    4 P Viera
    5 Zidane
    6 Van Nistolroy
    7 Kaka - agree with earlier comment superb talent
    8 Nesta
    9 C Ronaldo, not yet but he will be, could be best in world in 5 years
    10 W Rooney, alot to live up too after Euro 2004, exciting talent all the same

u would have C Ronaldo , W Rooney , KAKA(I know he is extrememly talented) and Nistelrooy ahead of Shevshenko ?

Originally posted by kaids
    Ferdinand
    Silvestre
    Beckham
    Zidane
    Figo
    Ronaldo
    Van Nistelrooy
    Giggs
    Scholes
    Djemba Djemba

DJEMBA DJEMBA!!! LOL :p

Originally posted by cheesedude
    DJEMBA DJEMBA!!! LOL :p
    I'd be equally as inclined to laugh at the inclusion of Beckham and Silvestre. Needless to say, kaids was taken the piss.

Me too actually. But with Beckham on form, he can substitute Nedved making a dazzling run with one pass. So I can understand Beckham. But of course Kaids has to be joking. :p

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Big Ears
    u would have C Ronaldo , W Rooney , KAKA(I know he is extrememly talented) and Nistelrooy ahead of Shevshenko ?

Yes def and about 5 or 6 others bot listed, shevchenko is a good player but not for me, i would like to think people see talent and the future of football, i would have raul, ronaldo, adriano and a few others in my strikers before shevcenko.

I think Nedved is the best player in the world and the one i would want first without doubt!

maybe u just have a personnel grudge , because Shevenko is better than the strikers u mentioned .

Raul is a shadow of his former self , Adriano is good but not that good .

Ronaldo is close but I beleive Shevshenko is just a bit better .

If he ever comes to the Premier League , we'll all see how good he is .

Hmm i would have rated Crespo before his Chelsea Nightmare so who knows which player would adapt to the premeir League, alot of high profile flops, mutu, crespo, veron to name three where big fees were involved.

I notice one thing they have in common, they all are former serie A stars

Hmm i would have rated Crespo before his Chelsea Nightmare so who knows which player would adapt to the premeir League, alot of high profile flops, mutu, crespo, veron to name three where big fees were involved.

I notice one thing they have in common, they all are former serie A stars

Crespo had the second highest goal per minutes racio in the Premier League behind Henry .

Crespo had the second highest goal per minutes racio in the Premier League behind Henry .

Thats a wind up lol, are you saying Crespo is ahead of Shearer and Van Nistolroy simply because he played less football, everybody picked ten players ands very few put Shevcheko in there, i think he was a better player three years ago. I would love to test the theory on a number of players by placing them at premeir clubs, but life isnt championship manager, i am happy with my picks.

Now as for Djemba Djemba lol, that was a nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

1. Nedved
    2. henry
    3. zidane
    4. schevchenco
    5. viera
    6. ronaldinho
    7. ronaldo
    8. nesta
    9. samuel
    10. Van Nistelrooy

up and coming
    adriano,
    duff,
    saviola,
    torres,
    kaka,
    c ronaldo.

• Advertisement

evilhomer,
    I agree with you about up and coming players.There must be 20/30 up and coming players who could make the top 10 list in the next few years.

Thats a wind up lol, are you saying Crespo is ahead of Shearer and Van Nistolroy simply because he played less football, everybody picked ten players ands very few put Shevcheko in there, i think he was a better player three years ago. I would love to test the theory on a number of players by placing them at premeir clubs, but life isnt championship manager, i am happy with my picks.

Now as for Djemba Djemba lol, that was a nice one!

I was just defending Crespo saying he actually didnt do as bad as it seemed , I wouldnt rate him above Shearer though .

Quite a few people have put Shevshenko there and 20 goals in 32 league games isnt that bad in such a defensive league .

Shevshenko is one of the best strikers in the world .

end of story:p .

larsson anyone, miles ahead of most strikers in terms of goals over the past few years.

ronaldo (the fake one) also i could put in there. the most exciting player in the world today without a doubt, i didnt say the best.

what about keepers? kahn? buffon? no disrespect to todays keepers but i honestly dont think there is a truly great world class keeper in todays game ie... a zidane of keepers. the above 2 are good, a bit overrated though imo, especially buffon.

Iker Casilias has been a one man defence for Real for the past few seasons .

and he's only 22 :eek: .

Buffon I would rate equally or possibly higher .

after that its down to Premiership keepers : Given , Cudicini(when in form and not making mistakes , but I suppose goalkeeping is all about not making mistakes)
    Niemi , Kiely , Cech , Van Der Sar .

I was just defending Crespo saying he actually didnt do as bad as it seemed , I wouldnt rate him above Shearer though .

Quite a few people have put Shevshenko there and 20 goals in 32 league games isnt that bad in such a defensive league .

Shevshenko is one of the best strikers in the world .

end of story:p .

Would welcome shevcenko with open or any decent partner for van nistolroy, dont know if smith and saha are up to it, we will find out i guess!

• Advertisement

Saha did score as many goals as Nistelrooy last season , and he was playing a lot of that season at Fulham .

I think he is a quality striker , and if given the same oppourtunities as Ruud would be able to equal his goal tally .

so for the coming season I hope they're both injured/suspended a lot :D .

Advertisement