Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAZY cd rom drives

Options
  • 24-07-2004 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

My cd-rom drives (2 of them) on my WinXP computer seem to have suddenly become lazy. They can't copy files over onto the hard drive without hanging half way or giving a 'read-cylinder error' or some such thing. It's as if they give up or lose touch with the data mid-way through. The writer drive can still write cds perfectly but you can't read from cds.

Anyone any clues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

my laptop cd rom cant be bothered to ead the name of the ew cd and just uses the last one. the only way to gte it to read the new name is to reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Originally posted by BogOak
    My cd-rom drives (2 of them) on my WinXP computer seem to have suddenly become lazy. They can't copy files over onto the hard drive without hanging half way or giving a 'read-cylinder error' or some such thing. It's as if they give up or lose touch with the data mid-way through. The writer drive can still write cds perfectly but you can't read from cds.

Anyone any clues?

Go to your local music store and get yourself a CD cleaner... Should be able to pick one up for less than a fiver.

Also, check the disks you're using to make sure that they aren't scratched or dirty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BogOak

Thanks but that's not what's wrong. Both drives failed at the same time. One is 4 years old and the other is 4 months old...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by irishgeo
    my laptop cd rom cant be bothered to ead the name of the ew cd and just uses the last one. the only way to gte it to read the new name is to reboot.

Re-enable insert notification for your CD-ROM.

For a once off solution: right click on the cd-rom, click properties, click OK. Hit F5. You'll have to do that for every CD though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

BogOak, your isue is related to the CD media rather than the drive itself I reckon. Have you verified that the CD works in another drive/PC?

CRC errors generally point to a CD that wasn't burnt correctly, or have corrupt data.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭daire

Hi, I was posting under Bog Oak's name by mistake. Anyway...

Funny you should say that because I've realised that it only happens on certain burnt cds. But the cds work perfectly in all other (3) computers I've tried them in. So is the drive just not able to handle those cds? Doesn't make sense seeing as both drives on this one computer refuse to read them properly?

It's a real headache... any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Did you use packet-writing to burn these CDs? Try installing UDF drivers on the machine they don't work on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭daire

I didn't write them so possibly. Where would I get these UDF drivers?

Advertisement