Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard drive probs.

Options
  • 24-07-2004 3:37pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Running xp pro and in the disk managment program i have one disk listed.

Disk0 basic 9.36gig online. It has 141mb as a healthy partition, drive c: 2gig FAT healthy system and then 7.22gig unallocated.

The 7.22gig used to be drive d: but i deleted it as there was nothing on it i wanted.

How do i get this unused space added onto the drive c. I can activate it as a partition alright and call it drive d but my windows is installed onto drive c: which has very little space left. Hence getting these "low disk space on drive C:" messages.

Anybody have any ideas..

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Partion Magic has the power to resize partions (I Think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

First that 7.22Gig unallocated, if i'm reading this right it belongs to the C: ??

If it does not- get yourself a copy of partion magic and perform a expand/resize as disk management is not power full enough to do this across drives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Disk Management won't do it full stop. It will not touch your system drive (C: in your case), and in any case it cannot redistribute free disk space. Your only hope to do that is to use a third party tool, such as PartitionMagic, that has already been mentioned. Alternatively you could format the D: drive, move the contents of a big folder (obviously don't try it with your WINDOWS/WINNT folder) into the root of it, remove the access through the D: letter, and use Disk Management to mount it as the folder in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Ranish Partition Manager is a free alternative to Powerquests Partition Magic. Its not for the light-hearted computer user unfortunately, but I use it whenever PM throws a tantrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

You cna only achieve what you want in Diskmgmt if you have dynamic disks.
    This is for more advanced stuff, and shoudn't be done to a boot partition. Volumes on a dynamic disk are geared towards SCSI/RAID and fancy stuff like that.

If you know what I'm talking about there, then try it, otherwise, leave it be for your own sake because the only way to revery back to a basic disk is through a repartition!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

It wouldn't help converting it to a dynamic disk anyway, as system or boot volumes cannot be expanded, and anyhow volumes created originally on a basic disk can't be expanded.

Edit: Just after re-reading the original post, and what I said in my previous post only applies to NTFS drives. Also, FAT(16) drives have a 2GB size limit.

Advertisement