Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP default email Client

Options
  • 24-07-2004 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Since receiving a gmail invite I have really got into Gmail and it has become my primary email address. However i dont see the point of using it with Outlook and to be honest i never really used Outlook.

Is it possible to set Gmail as my default email client in Windows XP - i.e. on the start menu where default browser and email are can i get it to link to Gmail instead of Outlook as set now. I have noticed you can set Hotmail as default so I'm presuming all web based email *should* be able to aswell. Tried Google searching but camed only across a program to allow different users use different programs.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by dec2000
    Since receiving a gmail invite I have really got into Gmail and it has become my primary email address. However i dont see the point of using it with Outlook and to be honest i never really used Outlook.

Is it possible to set Gmail as my default email client in Windows XP - i.e. on the start menu where default browser and email are can i get it to link to Gmail instead of Outlook as set now. I have noticed you can set Hotmail as default so I'm presuming all web based email *should* be able to aswell. Tried Google searching but camed only across a program to allow different users use different programs.

Thanks in advance

Goto Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs

Gmail should be on the drop down email menu. select and press ok

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Does Gmail support POP? I hate using webmail where at all possible....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by daveirl
    What?!!

No it's not, well not by default anyway. You definitely ran something 3rd party to get that option.

sorry daveirl i am actually using incredimail not gmail and that is haw i got it to work at least i think so anyway. perhaps there is an option in the gmail dateabase which will allow you to set gmail as default

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Originally posted by tipp_Gunner
    sorry daveirl i am actually using incredimail not gmail and that is haw i got it to work at least i think so anyway. perhaps there is an option in the gmail dateabase which will allow you to set gmail as default

Incredimail is an application you install. gmail is not. Try to do some basic research before making totally unhelpful and confusing suggestions.

Originally posted by hostyle
    Incredimail is an application you install. gmail is not. Try to do some basic research before making totally unhelpful and confusing suggestions.

Look it here you!!!

the guy asked for help and i helped him best as i could. If i jumped the gun ill hold my hand to it up and apologise.

i thought gmail was an email application kike incredimail. next time i make such an error dial 999 since your making such a big deal out of it this time around.

Originally posted by tipp_Gunner
    Look it here you!!!

the guy asked for help and i helped him best as i could. If i jumped the gun ill hold my hand to it up and apologise.

i thought gmail was an email application kike incredimail. next time i make such an error dial 999 since your making such a big deal out of it this time around.

If I offended you, I apologise - that was not my intention. My comment was not meant to be directed at you personally but at the many posters who make incorrect assumptions before proffering incorrect advice. I posted too quickly to make such a point clear. Please continue to help others out when you can. I am thankful that you made the effort to admit you were wrong - many posters don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭dec2000

Thanks for the link daveirl - going to read through them now! It was to make it default in windows on start bar - but the mailto thing I have seen b4 but i might try it now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Very nice little Firefox extension there. Thanks for the link! :D

Originally posted by hostyle
    If I offended you, I apologise - that was not my intention.

Apology accepted and thanks

Originally posted by daveirl
    What?? This isn't how arguments on the Interweb are meant to end...

Please accept my apologies on that front also :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Hostyle, I think this change to your signature would be cooler...

# Co-Worker #1: "A boolean variable has 10 possible values: true or false."
    # Co-Worker #2: "Umm...true?"

:D

Hostyle, I think this change to your signature would be cooler...

# Co-Worker #1: "A boolean variable has 10 possible values: true or false."
    # Co-Worker #2: "Umm...true?"

:D

Ehm. I don't get it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

10 is the binary equivalent of the number 2.

Dun wrote:
    10 is the binary equivalent of the number 2.

I know. And how is that funny? In my sig, the first line is a statement not a question.

Advertisement