Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Linksys wrt54g zyxel 623r-t1

• 24-07-2004 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭

I have broadband setup at home with the above equipement. However the way I connected it seems wrong to me and I wondered if someone could comment.

I could not get two DSL Modem (Zyxel) to work when I plugged it into the 'internet' port in the back. Instead I plugged it in to one of the ports and its in effect part of the network. As its the DHCP server the network config on the laptop is as follows.

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.30
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

So WAN trafic travels through 192.168.1.2.

What I would like to do is just have the Zyxel as a bridge i.e passthrough and the Linksys as the DHCP server, firewall etc. I could then open the Zyxel and pass all traffic to the Linksys machine from the WAN and have the Linksys working the way it was designed i,e through the 'internet' port.

I have tried a lot of settings and changes and always come back to the same way I have it working now...its like the zyxel will not just let traffic through and act dumb.

If other people cannot get their system up and running and want a temporary hack, let me know and I'll try to get more details on the settings I have if they need - after all it works.

Settings below:

The settings on the IOL Zyxel are all out of the box except for the
    -user name@iolbb
    -password for the broadband ISP
    -ip address (192.168.1.2) of the box
    -and a password change for the admin access to the box

The Linksys has all the security setting changed.
    - DHCP swited off
    - and one advanced routing rule: Destination LAN 192.168.1.2, Default gateway 192.168.1.1, LAN & Wireless. With the operating mode set to 'Gateway.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=628&p_created=1084218559&p_sid=NRa2ichh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9OTAmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9MSZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj0yMCZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPTE1JnBfY2F0X2x2bDI9MTYmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

This is the Linksys approach. I tried this before and it did not work. Just in case someone got this working.

Final note. Searching the internet seems multiple people have this problem...someone in Ireland must have setup IOL with the two boxes above in the way they are meant to be connected.

Marko: Cannot get a zyxel ADSL modem to work through the internet (WAN) port. Instead I have to make it part of the network 192.168.1.2. I want to use the features of the Linksys product and make the Zyxel act like a bridge i.e just pass through but cant. End up having it be the DHCP server and not the Linksys. It all works but not as it should :-)

Marko: I posted more details here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176027

Arvin Ebueng: You have to call the ISP 1st & set the modem(zyxel) to bridge mode so that youmay used the features of the Linksys ROuter since the modem is also a router..

Marko: The bridge on the DSL requires a fixed IP which the ISP is not providing, can they set up the modem as a bridge with variable IP?

Arvin Ebueng: If the modem can't be change, well you have to use the modem as your gateway. Can't connect to server at one network, the modem must be bridge in order to use the router's functionality..

Arvin Ebueng: Linksys router can use static IP for your Internet connection..

Marko: thanks

Arvin Ebueng: Have a nice day!

I'm going to bed, this is getting me mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Lots of people have had problems with this before, perhaps there should be a "search before you ask" sticky.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=174678

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

I got this reply when i had the same problem with my modem
    Hi,

To set the P623R-T1 in bridge mode telnet to the device.

In Menu 1 set Bridge to Yes and Route to No
    In Menu 3.2 turn off DHCP
    In Menu 4 set encapsulation to RFC1483,and set Network Address
    Translation to None
    In Menu 11.1 on the right column set route to no and bridge to yes.

thank, im going to try this today. Please note that I did search this group and a million others and spend a week trying this before I posted. Might be newbie to this group but not to the general rules of the internet.

Will let you know how I got on.

Agree with sticky for general configuration on the modems supplied by the main broadband providers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by mrhappy42
    thank, im going to try this today. Please note that I did search this group and a million others and spend a week trying this before I posted. Might be newbie to this group but not to the general rules of the internet.

Will let you know how I got on.

Agree with sticky for general configuration on the modems supplied by the main broadband providers.
    Obviously not well enough :). This is the third thread with the same question from the last few days. One of which refers to the exact hardware you are trying to get working.

Did you even follow the link? Surely its much easier to use the modems web configurator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Surely its much easier to use the modems web configurator
    This is they way Zyxel told me to do it in their email.

Firstly. It works as I'm online. It was 5 minute job.

Thanks.

I had seen the above link and tried to set the instructions but failed big time :-)

However only when followed the instructions through the telnet did it work.

In otherwords the setting through the web interface did not get me connected.

I have not check this but the settings in telnet Menu 11.1 on the right column where you 'set the bridge to yes' a second time was not something I had seen in the web browser menus.

Eitherway the telnet instructions are so much clearer due to the numbering and the also much faster response times will use that from now on.

So here are the complete instructions for anyone who wants to start a sticky.

(1)
    "To set the P623R-T1 in bridge mode telnet to the device.
    In Menu 1 set Bridge to Yes and Route to No
    In Menu 3.2 turn off DHCP
    In Menu 4 set encapsulation to RFC1483,and set Network Address
    Translation to None
    In Menu 11.1 on the right column set route to no and bridge to yes."

at this stage I would also set the P623's IP address to 192.168.1.2 so that when you want to change the setting you can pop the network cable into a port on the linksys system (i.e remove it from the internet port) and access it and avoid all the double NAT setup just for the maintance.

(2) change password and any other security bits on the P623R-T1.
    (3) On the Linksys In Menu 'setup/basic setup' set connection type to PPPoE. Enter ISP username and password. Enable DHCP.
    (4) If you had DDNS on the modem then set this up in 'Menu 'setup/DDNS'
    (5) in the 'status\router' menu you should see a button marked 'connected'. the gateway and two DNS servers will be filled out for you.

Advertisement