Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My house got damaged while estate agent was on a viewing

Options
  • 24-07-2004 9:43pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just thought i'd throw this out there.

I'm currently selling my house and my estate agent had someone around on Friday evening on a viewing. After the viewing I came home to find out some items had been damaged at some stage during the viewing. I won't bother getting specific cause I still have to talk to him about it on Monday.

My question is whether or not estate agents are liable for this type of thing while on a viewing? Or does anybody know of anything similar occurring before? I'd like to know how I stand before I start kicking ass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It depends a lot I think.

You are responsible for your own property. You cannot leave 15 glasses stacked upon one another on the table behind the door.

The agent should take reasonable care (can't park on the lawn, can't move the dresser and knock the china for it).

Neither the agent nor any prospective buyer can do things like remove wallpaper or carpet. They can't (deliberately) chip at paint or plaster, but they can poke with their finger. Otherwise it's known as trespass and criminal damage.

What stort of damage was done?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

There were a dent in one of the walls just above floor level. It actually looks like some one has taken a kick at it. It wouldn't be too hard to repair, but my concerns are for the future viewings etc.

I'll just have to give him a talking to, you never know, maybe he'll reduce the fees.

Advertisement