Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic TV Service Menus?

Options
  • 25-07-2004 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there's some way of getting the service menu on the basic Panasonic TVs? I've got the non-text 14" mono TV - the previous model to the one they're selling now (don't know the model number, sorry, but the OSD looks identical to all the other recent Panasonics with the teletext-like graphics).

It's just with AV inputs, especially RGB signals, and even more especially 60Hz (i.e. originally NTSC things) signals are pretty badly shifted to the left of the screen - it's especially noticable when playing games where there'll be a big black line down the right side. I heard you can move the picture position and stuff from the service menu, but do you usually need special equipment to get these menus or is it just some special key combination or something?

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Did you try googling it there are lots of links, Go look there first, if that doesn't come up with anything than I suggest you make nice with a TV repairman or try badgering the Panasonic service department.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Service mode should be accessible using the remote and/or buttons on front of TV. Just be careful what you adjust ;)

If stuck, you could try a request on this newsgroup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I tried Googling before but the problem is most the sites I found either weren't in English or were dealing with US televisions. I suppose I'll try again...

I forgot about that newsgroup too, but after about 10 minutes of searching it seems most people there are all yanks too and many are reluctant to give codes for getting the service menus...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yay, I (eventually) found it!

For anyone else who has a Z5 chassis (it'll say the chassis no. on the back) Panasonic TV (the non-flat screen 14-28" TVs made from about 1997/8 till now, I think) and similar sets, here's how to do it:

1. Put the sharpness right down to the minimum.
    2. Turn to channel 60 or AV.
    3. While holding the timer button on the remote, press the down button on the front of the set.
    4. Now you can fudge up your TV whatever way you want!

Actually, the service menu's pretty limited. Well, it had pretty much everything I wanted except for more horizontal controls - there was only a horizontal centring control and nothing else. When playing games and stuff, there's always gaps at the left and right sides of the screen - it's usually a bit noticeable on other TVs at 50Hz, but never at 60Hz, even compared to the 21" version of the same TV. However on mine there are still noticable gaps at 60Hz, and I can't seem to fix this with the service menu. Could the horizontal amplitude or whatever you call it (just my luck) be the one thing on the TV that can only be changed manually inside the TV set?

Advertisement