Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel Insurance Rip off

• 25-07-2004 2:24am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was in Orlando in May,it was a great Holiday exept for the fact that some clown in Dublin hit the plane with a truck as the bags were getting put on.So to cut a long story short we missed out on a day of our holiday.No we had Insurance and it has taken me ontill this week to get some cash back.

Now we missed out on one night in a 5 star hotel,a days car rental not to mention a day of our holiday.Now how much do you think I got back....?I think the Insurance for the trip cost the best part of 200 euro (we spent 3000 on the Holiday so it was an ok price).So you could say I was surprised to get a check in the post for 25 Euro...yes 25 Euro.

Was I done....?I dont think I got a copy of the terms and conditions.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anybody....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

Eh probably not. I think in this case the insurance company pays for travel delay, and the payouts for travel delay are never large. But again, read the terms and conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Without knowing the ins-and-outs of the policy, there is no way of knowing.

In fairness, you should have got hold of a copy of the T&C's before travelling by hook or by crook - be thankful this was the least of the things that happened if the policy was so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

Some scumbag baggage handler took half of the contents of my luggage in November 2001.
    It took me until March this year to get the insurance back on it.
    The insurance company (Europ-assist) apparantly lost my file,
    and then wanted copies of receipts I had already sent em..
    My g/f is a solicitor so a few treatning legal sounding letters,
    got em moving on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

was this insurance included in the cost of the holiday or is it a seperate policy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

separate policy.. for 270IRL..
    I was assured by the agent it was one of the best policies out there
    (I needed winter sports cover)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

do you think you ring them and pose as someone else making an enquiry? Ask them hypothetically about your situation?

Originally posted by midget lord
    was this insurance included in the cost of the holiday or is it a seperate policy?

Yea my insurance was paer of the price of the holiday,the whole lot came to around 3000 so when you pay that you assume the insurance is good.Well I do.I am thinking about sending the travel agent a letter and letting them no I am not happy and will not use them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Can you tell us who you got insured with? Might be useful.

I got the lot through the Travel Agent in Dublin and when I rang them about the claim they said I had to ring a company in Galway,Van Ameyde Ireland.I never heard of them before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

As far as insurane goes, I just insured myself and my girlfriend for a year, including winter sports, worldwide for only €124. www.123.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Was I done....?I dont think I got a copy of the terms and conditions.

You probably got a certificate of insurance which you had to send in with the claim. This would have had all the terms and conditions on it. I would always take a copy of this before giving it to them - I really couldn't be bothered to read it.

If you didn't and you have a copy of your confirmation invoice - (even if you don't the travel agent just might give you one - if you hassle them enough - re: the insurance you sold me - but be tactful and nice about this - paint them as the good guys and the insurance company as the bad guys - and if this works out - there'll be plenty more business).

If they were stupid enough to give you insurance without a certificate - ok - its a long shot - and insurance is on the confirmation invoice - I think you have a case (against them). Chances are they did give you a certificate. Use the future business ploy to get a copy of this and identify if you were screwed.

If you were I don't know what to do next - probably look at www.itaa.ie

I had a several experiences with insurance claims and now know the ropes - the most I ever saw was 90% of my claim. In modern slang "The Filth" usually refers to cops - I believe in the future this could become slang for insurance ciompanies.

PS. Your premium does sound like a rip-off - I suspect 100% markup

Advertisement