Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver Bandwidth Monitor

• 25-07-2004 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

I mailed utv support about 2 weeks ago as they had my downloads for July about 3GB up on my stats from netlimiter.
    Got an email back on Thursday basically admitting it was a UTV problem.
    I have the mail at work so I'll post full details tomorrow, but just beware that Clicksilvers bandwidth monitor is not 100% accurate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

From utv support
    "I have checked in to your usage and there is a problem with it. I have passed it on to the engineers to fix, it seems that when you have disconnected at times the connection logs have shown duplicates which have caused use to seem higher than it is. This can be fixed easily enough and should be done at some point today."

Suffice to say it hasn't been fixed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Is netlimiter good? Just need an accurate, not CPU intensive recorder that automatically shows each month's usage.

What with UTVi now charging for excess downloads they better make triply sure they aren't making mistakes!!
    Our records show you have downloaded 8667 MB, which exceeds your download limit
    of 8192 MB for this month. You will be charged for any usage over this limit, as
    per the choice made at http://u.tv/csie

Regards,
    UTV Internet

:/ it's pretty lame having to go back to the equivalent of clock watching online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

LoBo, ask UTV to check your log for duplicates.....just in case.
    I've found netlimiter good, although I'm waiting for UTV stats to be somewhere near accurate so that I can compare. It doesn't take up much ram and keeps a yearly, monthly and daily count of your usage.
    Also allows you to throttle any applications upload or download and to see exactly what program is using bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The opposite has happened with my account, my own usage monitor DU meter shows just under 8GB downloaded whereas according to the utv website I have apparently only used 1.5GB.
    ;) Only 6 hours left to take advantage of their bad maths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Yer, I was on 6.3gb 2 days ago and thought "ok I'll cue up some downloads to eat up the remainder" and buggered off. Expected to be cut off at 2am (or whenever they check their logs) and not allowed back on as I have my cap choice set to "Suspend". Two days later (and at least 2gb later) the meter is still showing 6.3gb and I'm still online.

It'll be hilarious if they try to charge me for going over the limit even though I have my cap choice set to Suspend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I had the same experience (posted about this on the UTV support newsgroup which now seems to be totally ignored by UTV themselves) - I got an email last week warning that I had reached about 80% of my cap. Checked my usage and it was about 6.5GB. Checked my usage again the other night and it was down to about 5GB.
    I don't know how they can expect to bill people for going over the cap if their monitoring is so ****ty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

So, eh, why use UTV then? I used to have them for dialup and they were truly crap on the tech/customer support side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Locked into a contract for around another 8 months is why.

Advertisement