Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fergus Cassidy Hails Ireland Offline (Sunday Tribune)

Options
  • 25-07-2004 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up to check out the Sunday Tribune today for the e.thos column by Fergus Cassidy.

It gives me warm glow! :)*

I expect the article will be online at ethos from Monday

Mike.

*Even if my only contribution is firing missives off to radio programmes

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Worth buying the Trib for it? I normally find Fergus's columns very Nuan/Local.ie.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

//
    Worth buying the Trib for it? I normally find Fergus's columns very Nuan/Local.ie.
    //

Yes definitely worth a read...

He gives a potted history of Ioffl and then praises the work done to date by Ioffl
    in their jargon busting and bull**** exposing roles.

He disucusses the snail's pace( if I may add, on tranquilizers) of broadband rollout
    Alludes to the darkness that is ericom (or whatever it's called these days)
    The shocking state of the eircom "network"
    (does it even deserve the term network, perhaps string and chewing gum is more appropriate?)
    The "shure isn't it just grand" the way it is. You can't get broadband? Well "shure can't you make voice calls"...then in that case go f*ck yourself attitude.

"On the drive out of Athlone. the sun is quickly setting in the rear view mirror. The decision to disband Ireland Offline has been postponed, so it's not as dark as it seems"

My sentiments exactly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by bealtine
    //
    //

Yes definitely worth a read...
    Yeah. I went and bought the Trib. I rate Fergus's stuff far higher than that Sunday Business Post "technology journalist" Weckler even if it is a bit bluesky at times. Whereas Weckler is a clueless, self-promoting pseudo-tech, Fergus tries hard to vocalise the consciousness of the net.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by mike65
    I expect the article will be online at ethos from Monday
    It's already there. Definitely 'warm glow' creating stuff, especially his closing paragraph:
    On the drive out from Athlone, the sun is quickly setting in the rear view mirror. The decision to disband Ireland Offline has been postponed so it's not as dark as it seems.
    Somebody reckons we still have a role to play ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Good man Fergus !

• Advertisement
Advertisement