Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As requested, more of DeV's Bad Luck Stories :)

Options
  • 25-07-2004 11:41am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Congrats to Davey on winning cash at the Bubble Tournie (thought you didnt deal Mr DeVil? eh? EH?). Wait till I tell you how unlucky my day was :(

My flight from Poitier to London (LyingAir, The No Standards Airline) was delayed, so much that I made it to the checkin desk for the Dublin flight (LyingAir again!) with only 45 minutes to go. The desk was closed. I get put on standby for the 5pm flight (at a price of 60 Euro!)... so far not so lucky.

I'm still determined to play in the Bubble tournie at 7 and grabbed a cab at 6:50 with my suitcase and carry on luggage and everything and headed directly to the Fitz. I change out of my shorts and t-shirt and stick on some jeans, shirt and socks! I know I'm back in Ireland now!

First hand, under the gun, QQ, lovely. Nice raise to scare off the limpers. Ace high flop, try to represent it but the other guys not having any of it and I let the hand go.
    (He had the ace)

Next hand TT! A few limpers around to me (BB now), I go all in. Get one under-call and get 75 chips back. She has AQ, flop is rags, turn is a rag and river is an Ace of course.

Next Hand: I have 75 chips now, not happy. I look down and see QJ unsuited. Its worth it as I'm in for the small blind (25) flop comes JT9, nice! turn is an 8 (sweet!) I have a run, river is a queen. Now everyone has the run. I get 75 chips back in a split pot.

Last hand, I get K10 suited, throw my 75 into the fray again and hit a K75 flop! Grand! Turn is another 5 and of course SB has a 5 in his hand and I'm out.

4 hands of just bad luck.

Aside: The difference between a "Bad Luck" story and a "Bad Beat" story should be that in the former you go into the hand (all-in) with something close to 50-50 (say an under-pair to two over cards) but as the board develops your odds go shooting up when your opponent doesn't hit on flop or turn but then catches something on the river. Bad Luck.

A "Bad Beat" is when you go all-in with a monster and find that your opponent catches perfect cards to make his 6% hand stand up. That in my mind is a bad beat.

Anyway, I wont be flying LyingAir again, I think they jinxed me!

DeV.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Sh-it I was due to be in the bubble this month - no one told me when it was on - I'll have a word with the Fitz next time I'm in

Hyzepher

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

They sent me an SMS, which I got in France!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by Hyzepher
    Sh-it I was due to be in the bubble this month - no one told me when it was on - I'll have a word with the Fitz next time I'm in
    You probably ticked "Leave me a-fucking-lone!" on your membership form. So they can't send you any emails or SMSs. I think that's why I don't get anything either.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thats the first time they have SMSed me. I normally tick the "leave me the fnck alone" boxes too though I dont mind being reminded of cash freerolls!

DeV.

Advertisement